Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would give you all a heads up on a good deal on good radio. Standard Horizon HX370s is a hand held VHF Marine/weather radio that is waterproof and very durable.

Ham radio guys consider them a best buy because they can be reprogrammed for VHF ham bands (2 meter) commercial VHF bands and MURS channels. Basically it is a marine version of the Yaesu VX170 Vhf radio.

Standard Horizon is AKA Vertex Standard who makes very good commercial/public safety radios and Yaesu who is big into ham radio. They make good stuff. I bought one a couple years ago for $40 more and it was a good deal then.

With a cable and software you can reprogram this radio to work on MURS or commercial VHF bands and/or ham bands if you have a license. Cables and software (CE68) are available on line.

Gander Mountain has them on sale on line for $110/free shipping and you can get $20 discount with this discount code: GM6WL27

https://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=92489

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Sweet! 5 channels for MURS but hey..at 5 watts..that can reach pretty darn far out there!
At least with a tech license you can program regular 2 meter into it

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And....Vertex standard and Yaesu accessories (like mics, headsets etc) work with it. The programming cable is relatively cheap on ebay and the software is around. ;)

I have mine programmed for 2 meter, MURS and of course Marine channels because I use it on a boat occasionally.

·
Registered
44 Posts
+1 great deal. Picked up on this a last week and have been toying with the radio all week long now.

Built like a tank, easy to program (luckily for me it uses the same programming cable as my VX-7R) and works great on the repeaters I've worked with it so far.

First thing to do, however, it buy a good antenna. I had an extra Pryme RD-98 laying around that I put on there and it's been working like a champ with it on 2m freqs.

Something to consider in case anyone had been looking at extra batteries for it as well. The standard battery pack is 7.2v 1400mAh, and runs about $30 most places. But... they include the AA battery tray with this package. Slap in a set of six Sanyo Eneloop NiMh rechargeables from Costco, and you end up at the same voltage and 2000mAh capacity. Added bonus: all those AA's you now carry around can work in other devices if needed. The only drawback is that you can't charge them IN the radio in the cradle (gotta pop them out and use the Eneloop charger to be safe) but for the added capacity and flexibility, I think it's worth it, especially since it still transmits at the full 5 watt power when running on AAs.

Sure beats the $65 batteries on my 7R....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts