Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I'm leaving in the morning. Going to Destin and want to bring my pistol but I am concerned about having the gun if I get pulled over. I plan to mainly keep it in my truck. I'm asking because I remember hearing some funny laws about guns with Florida. Any info would be great and soon please. Thanks

·
Registered
413 Posts
Do you have a carry liscence? Is it reciprocal? If not I am pretty sure that it is okay if you have it in the glove box as long as it is not loaded.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Persons traveling by private conveyance if the weapon is securely encased, or in a public conveyance if the weapon is securely encased and not in the person’s manual possession.

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
Here is the law.

(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not
a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon
for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the
firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use.
Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private
conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed
to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be
liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons,
including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

"Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.
ETA: Source for definition of "securely encased"

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
What KNO3 got ya....

Have a good & safe trip!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Can it be loaded?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Good to KNO3! See what I did there...lol

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the quick responses.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If your travel 20 your good. I recently did North Carolina to Texas for my brothers funeral and had printed out each states agreement with North Carolina. You will need the check Florida as I did not travel there. Try this site
Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps

I would also suggest printing out the reciprocity agreements between each state and keeping them with you while driving.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Heres the list for reciprocity between LA and Florida if you already have a CCW.

Permit Honored:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming
Permit Not Honored:
California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Rhode Island, Wisconsin, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, District of Columbia
Right Denied:
Illinois, American Samoa, N. Mariana Islands

1 - 12 of 12 Posts