Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a complete lower and upper for a rifle. Is there any reason to be concerned with head space and timing? Would I need to ensure I have a bolt from the same manufucturer, or would any complete upper do just fine with any bolt?

I'm looking at PSA, if it matters.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Looking to get a complete lower and upper for a rifle. Is there any reason to be concerned with head space and timing? Would I need to ensure I have a bolt from the same manufucturer, or would any complete upper do just fine with any bolt? I'm looking at PSA, if it matters.
The fast answer is yes. That's the beauty of the interchangeability with the AR 15 platform.
Having said that the only one that does not play nice with interchangeability is "colt".
For starters the front receivers pins are larger
(Unless they changed it). Not sure what is is different with their other proprietary components.

In short if you want to mix and match any part with any manufactures just make sure to stay away from Colt products. :)

PSA is as good as any other manufacturer out there @ 1/3 the cost. Despite how others might chime in here to defend their Daniel Defense rifles they paid high prices for. :)

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My previous AR was (still is) Rainier Arms, so it has a DD barrel, but it was completely assembled. I don't shoot it nearly as much as I should, but given the political climate, I'd like to have a second rifle before things go bonkers again.

·
Premium Member
3,835 Posts
Different point of view. You are probably 99% safe going your route. It is the one percent that might ruin your life. If you are doing the build yourself with no prior AR15 build experience, please understand that the proper barrel torquing and indexing is the most time consuming part of the build. Not difficult. Anybody can do it. The important thing is that you understand what and why you are doing it AND WHY in a particular fashion and method. I would need a minimum of three, (3) head space gauges.

I would not buy a homebuilt AR15 rifle built by somebody I did not know. Too many things can be wrong with the build. Stag Arms maybe. Daniel Defense certainly. Or maybe one of the many expert custom builders I have heard of who know what they are doing. A trained monkey can slap together an AR15. Doing it correctly requires much experience and a certain amount of required tools and facilities to do it properly. That plus knowing how to take what corrective action when things go not quite right.

Personal example. I am now leaning towards re entering the fun and madness of AR15 ownership. Been quite awhile. Just me. I would buy a complete rifle from somebody. I am left handed. That leaves me with just a couple choices. My build skills are old. It is no longer fun for me to build my own AR15 20" HB rifle. The rifle would be used for long range target shooting. I would rather just buy one and have all the fun. HB of CJ (old coot) (Hundreds of AR15 builds.) (uncounted M16 rebuilds)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts