Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i have an XD Sub-compact 9 and i put the Lasermax guide rod laser in it, and i'm having some problems....

first off, the guide rod assembly is very loose. when i disassemble the gun, the entire assembly falls out every time. the original guide rod did NOT do that....

second, all it takes is a slight bump to the gun, and the laser turns on. i was looking at the laser mechanism, and noticed that there is a little groove on the pin you push to turn on the laser. when the groove is in the middle "neutral" position, it is not putting any pressure on the little metal button on the guide rod laser. i'm wondering if it would be possible to modify that component, and make the groove a little bit wider, so that i'd have to push the button all the way in before it activates the laser.

i'm not a gun guru... in fact i'm a n00b :shock:. sorry if this question is dumb or has been asked many times before! but if you guys can give me any advice, or if there's already been threads on this subject, please, let me know. also, if what i wrote does not make sense, i will gladly take a picture to show you guys. i honestly have no idea who to talk to or where to go to fix this problem. i love the laser, but the damn thing keeps getting activated and killing the battery, and the battery is over $10 to replace!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anything guys? i have been reading through thread after thread trying to find something related to my questions but have been unsuccessful....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sorry bud. Downfall of purchasing new gear...... you're the first to use it and the first to discover its quirks.

Have you tried Googling the products (ie. XD9 lasermax switch) to see if there is anything on any other forums?

·
Registered
65 Posts
FWIW I have one on my XD-40SC and I do not have those types of issues. I can't say my guide rod is as tight as the OEM one it does not fall out. I'm assuming you have it in the right way. Have you contacted Lasermax? Here are some pics of mine.

LaserMax for XD-40SC

·
Registered
485 Posts
I had a lasermax in my G22 duty weapon and had the same issues. A couple of times I was told by another officer that my laser was on after they seen the little red dot following my every step on the floor. My lasermax was bad about being turned on when I holstered the weapon. I also told others the same thing when I saw theirs on so we are not alone with this problem. My solution was to ditch the laser and go with a weapon mounted light. I have to say the light is far more usefull than the laser ever was. I now work for a different department and no body here has any type of laser system but many have lights that mount on our Sig229R.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I have never heard anything good about the guide rod lasers.

·
Registered
256 Posts
thats good info. i had see some of these and always wondered if they were any good

·
Registered
6 Posts
I personally don't have one yet, but I am wanting one, I think. I have a friend that has one on his SC, and he says he doesn't have any problems.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I did alot of research on these prior to finally getting a Crimson Trace weapon palm activated mounted laser for my Glock. All of the research said that everyone seemed to be having the same problem with the 9mm version. Most of the customers ended up sending them back and getting new ones and after that only 1/2 of them actually worked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the responses guys! i honestly thought they were popular and maybe a bunch of guys had experience with them...

well crap, i guess i'm going to try to sell the thing on e-bay, and use the money i get from that to get a mounted light on my XD.... now i need to research the best light.

only thing with a light is i don't know if i want a bright light showing exactly where i am, say if an intruder came into my house.... he'd know exactly where i am. just look for the spotlight!

again, i am new to the gun world, but have read some things about the glowing sights? the tritium i think they were.... i just don't know any gunsmiths to put them on, as i've read they are a real pain in the ass. plus, i don't know how that'd be in terms of snagging....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Glad I read this thread before ordering one. Might have to re-think it and look at other options.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've had my Laser Max in my XD 9 SC for over 3 months. No problems at all. I use it for night hunting primarily as my secondary weapon. It's accurate, turns on only when using the switch, and the battery life has been good so far. I probably have 400-500 rounds through the gun since I installed it. It's helped me eradicate at least 15-20 armadillos in the last 2 months.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hey, I have the same guide rod laser in my XD9 as well. No problems, fits tight, bright as hell. Only issue is that it make takedown a lot more difficult than the stock guide rod. Almost to the point that it's easier to have an under-barrel mounted laser and ditch the guide rod laser so I can disassemble the firearm and clean it. But even then, I like it

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
my humble advise is to sell the thing on ebay and buy a crimson trace. No more problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why would you put a laser on your handgun?
It's like providing the enemy with a laser designator for their sniper or smart bomb.

I guess it's a the "gimmicky guy" thing. If you can't hit it with sights, what makes you think that aiming a laser at it will help?

Save your money, invest in some good quality tritium sights for your pistol and a high quality flashlight.

Spend the rest of your money on practice ammo & training!

Long live Jeff Cooper!

·
Registered
1 Posts
what is the right way to install my lasermax guide rod laser in my XD9 sub compact, with the flat side of the battery cap up or down??

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
what is the right way to install my lasermax guide rod laser in my XD9 sub compact, with the flat side of the battery cap up or down??

The cap has "barrel" imprinted on the barrel side in very small letters. I have these on two G's and my XDm .40, no problems with any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts