Springfield XD Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Some of us here would not see a 9mm as a compromise, but rather as our first choice. It is a great self defense caliber with higher magazine capacity, you and your girlfriend will be able to afford to shoot it more often (have you compared ammo costs of 9mm vs. .45?), which will make you more proficient, and you'll be able to enjoy range time together.

I have nothing against .45s (carried one for 20 years), 10mm are cool, I have a .40 that I really like, but if I can only have one gun, it'll be a 9mm. IMHO, they just bring more versatility to the table.
Very well said Eiger5. I have three pistols that I like for carry; all 9mm; Beretta PX4 Storm compact, XD Mod.2 3". and new XD-E. All are very good shooters and each has its advantages. Accuracy is excellent for CC or anything else. Actually, I prefer the DA/SA safety/decocker with the Storm and the XD-E. Extra level of safety and flexibility. I even sometimes shoot 3 gun with the Beretta and the Mod.2. Otherwise a Glock 19 gen 4.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
I love the .45 BUT my Glock 19 with 15 124gr HST's on tap is my go to.

If that doesn't stop the threat I'm facing, a .45 ain't gonna do it any better.

Modern ammunition performance has leveled the playing field to where you're talking about maybe an inch or two of penetration difference between the big three and an 3/16's of an inch in expansion.

Placement and rapid repeatability are the most important factors to consider.

If you shoot a .45 better for whatever reason. ( I really don't know that it'll be, 9mm is inherently accurate.) Then go for it.

for a personal protection weapon, I'm very comfortable with 9mm. As are most of the rest of the industry anymore. Hence the huge upswing in 9mm 1911's.

9mm however isn't gonna be my first choice for going into the woods. Nor is .45, I want .357 Magnum or more for that.

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
What's it do better than a 9mm?
If it doesn't do anything worse than 9mm that means 9mm sucks in general too, right?

Slightly larger, slightly faster. Why is the 9x19 superior to the 9x18? Would you rather have a .38 or a .380? A 9mm Mak or a G19? Degrees, my brother.

Snappy? Feh... not so much. Less capacity? Well... yeah. It's bigger.

Having a preference doesn't make the one you don't prefer suck. I thought you were old enough to get that.

And BTW, I didn't say 9mm sucked... it's fine, I actually own several. But I also have .40s and .45s (not to mention revolver calibers) and think that they're ALL a compromise... that's why God made +30 cal rifles.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I'm selling my XDM Compact 3.8 Bitone 9mm for $500. Let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good luck on selling it if you haven't already.... great gun!!

To the OP.... if you haven't already made up your mind, I'll add my $0.02

In the case of the calibers....... there are plenty of online discussions, arguments, and "fights" as well as tests that go over the different round features, plusses and minuses.... from what I have been able to find, with proper defense ammo, the 9mm is a great round for self defense, with a higher round count possible than the .40 and .45, and a lower felt/perceived recoil (for most). I run an XDM .40 and a CW40 single stack... they definitely have a snappy recoil to them.... and while the XDM is fine to shoot, the CW40 does get old after a full day at the range. (besides, only 6+1 rounds isn't much fun with all the reloads!!). The .45 has a different feel to it than the .40 or 9mm, and while I don't know if I would call the .45 recoil "less" than the .40... it's a lot different.... will steal others' descriptions and call it more of a push than a snap.

As far as the gun...... I also run an XDM Compact 3.8" similar to what namanc6 is selling. I really, really like it a lot. It conceals almost as well as my single stack Kahr does, and carries 13+1 with the flush mag and 19+1 with the extended mag!!! Love that round count!! For me, it is a very soft shooting gun, points well, and when compared to the other XD versions, I like the way that the slide is tapered and for me the grip texture is more aggressive for times when I'm in the rain or sweat or whatever. I'd absolutely do it again if I was buying another XD/XDM.

With that said..... I do have to also say, that for about $200 less, the S&W M&P9c that I have for my wife is also a great gun. It conceals even better than the XDMc, (although a couple rounds less in mag capacities). Trigger isn't as good as the XDMc, but I don't find it is as bad as some people seem to rant about. As far as accuracy, I find them both to be about equal with my skill level and training sessions. (Usually on a defense course, not shooting for bullseye and itty bitty groups).

For your question, I would first of all see if you can find a range that rents the guns, or a class that someone may have what you are considering, and try them out. I'd suggest skipping the .40, and I think either the .45 or 9mm would be fine for you. And, based on cost of your ammo, I'd suggest the 9mm. Less $$ to buy the ammo means more range / trigger time for you.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
You wanna see where 9mm really shines against .40, shoot a Kahr CM9 and CM40 side by side.
I'll definitely second that.... I run a CW instead of the CM.... but the CW40 definitely has a whole lot more feedback than the quite controllable CW9 that I tried..... the 9mm is a lot more enjoyable to shoot, with all the benefits that go with it

41 - 46 of 46 Posts