Springfield XD Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So what's your experiences with wives/girlfriends shooting a 45? The reason I'm hung up on getting the 45 sc is that my girlfriend I will be living with is not confident shooting them. She says she's worried about the heavy recoil. I know you guys have said you don't notice, but women tend to notice it a lot more..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
My girlfriend shot a 40 cal and HATED it, and currently refuses to try a 45. I've shot 45 and love it, and personally think it handles better than the 40cal.

·
Registered
66 Posts
So what's your experiences with wives/girlfriends shooting a 45? The reason I'm hung up on getting the 45 sc is that my girlfriend I will be living with is not confident shooting them. She says she's worried about the heavy recoil. I know you guys have said you don't notice, but women tend to notice it a lot more..
How about renting something like a Glock 30s, which is very similar in weight to the XDM or XD mod II 45? Then let her shoot it and see what she thinks? Has she shot a 45 before?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I will definitely give that a shot if the local range doesn't have the mod.2 subcompact. I never would have considered that. And no, she hasn't. I've tried multiple times to get her to shoot my friend's 1911.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My girlfriend shot a 40 cal and HATED it, and currently refuses to try a 45. I've shot 45 and love it, and personally think it handles better than the 40cal.
What 40 cal was it? If it's a light one, then yes it can make a difference, unless it's a heavier one like an XDM or xd mod II

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Also, as I've said, my second gun WILL be a 45, and I think that getting the service model in that caliber would be more beneficial than the sub compact. I plan to take the 45 in the woods as a hunting backup, and the full size 45 is definitely more appealing for that role than the sub compact.
If you're gonna get your first .45, do it right and get a 1911.

9mm is perfectly fine for a carry pistol though. For two legged predators it's really the best option these days.

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Recoil feel is by definition subjective. A good gun-to-hand fit will drastically minimize felt recoil for any one particular shooter. However, you have to remember that this "fit" is unique from person-to-person, and what's more, is something that's both subjective (feel) and objective (overgrip/undergrip/etc.) - and that a newer or occasional shooter may not be able to tell what gun really "fits" them until they start shooting that gun, live-fire (i.e. the difference between sitting in a car on the showroom floor versus taking that car for a test drive).

Objectively, heavier/larger guns will also tend to "soak up" recoil, compared to smaller/lighter guns; this is just physics. Similarly, an autopistol with a reciprocating slide will also tend to transmit less to the shooter. Case-in-point: compare a Coonan .357 Magnum versus an unobtanium framed S&W snubbie that's chambered for the same. ;)

Let the person who will be shooting the gun try out the gun, live-fire. This is the only way to be sure.

Technique is what will help the shooter mitigate that recoil: but if felt recoil is so unpleasant that the shooter refuses to shoot the weapon or only shoots it occasionally, they will never develop the necessary technique to drop those split times.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sadly, these days there's a good chance you will. They've really taken the piss on quality control.
You may be right about QC on the new Colts. I can't say . In 1994 I bought a new Colt Gold Cup in stainless one of the new enhanced models wouldn't part with it for anything. IMHO if your are only going to have one 1911 might as well be a colt​

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
You may be right about QC on the new Colts. I can't say . In 1994 I bought a new Colt Gold Cup in stainless one of the new enhanced models wouldn't part with it for anything. IMHO if your are only going to have one 1911 might as well be a colt​
I bought a Colt 1911 Commander way back in 1973---whopping sum of $219 out the door---that was expensive then! :) Quality was great, had to drift the sights just a bit (consistently shooting low right for me) but it was top notch.

A bit off-topic also bought a Colt Python that was a lemon---cylinder lock-up bolt would not latch properly within the first 50 rounds. Finally sold it for $50 as a parts only deal.

·
Registered
441 Posts
What's it do better than a 9mm?
Well for one, it costs more. How's that, huh?

In all seriousness to the OP, with modern (quality) defensive ammo there's little difference between 9mm, 40 and 45 in performance. Given that, I'd go for the gun based on the round that costs less and offers the highest mag capacity.

If your girlfriend doesn't want to shoot a 45, get the gun she will shoot in 9mm. Be REAL happy you got a girl that WILL shoot as opposed to one that hates guns and wants nothing to do with them.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I'm compromising and getting a 9mm first.
Some of us here would not see a 9mm as a compromise, but rather as our first choice. It is a great self defense caliber with higher magazine capacity, you and your girlfriend will be able to afford to shoot it more often (have you compared ammo costs of 9mm vs. .45?), which will make you more proficient, and you'll be able to enjoy range time together.

I have nothing against .45s (carried one for 20 years), 10mm are cool, I have a .40 that I really like, but if I can only have one gun, it'll be a 9mm. IMHO, they just bring more versatility to the table.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts