Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been narrowing down my first handgun choice for a while now and would really like it to be one of the 9mm mod.2's. I like the feel of the service size, but worry it will be too big to carry. The subcompact would clearly fit the carry bill, but I don't know how I feel about my only gun being a 3 inch subcompact. The XDM 3.8 compact is a good compromise on size with its barrel:grIp ratio, but it's $100 more and I don't think it's worth it. Could anyone please tell me which one of the mod.2 models they would choose? I see tons of pictures of the subcompacts and people seem to love it, but I just don't know if I'd rather have the service model.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
You've already laid out a good pro/con argument for each - and any one of those would be a fine choice. Every choice involves compromise, and only you know which of the many characteristics you've listed are most important to you. I'd recommend you make your "T" chart comparison again, definitely shoot each one, if at all possible, and then make a choice and don't second guess yourself.

There is one flaw I'd like to point out in your post
don't know how I feel about my only gun being a
(fill in the blank)

You can never have just one! It may not happen quickly, but once you buy one, you're sucked into the vortex and the next one is only a matter of time.

Enjoy!

Reactions: Jacket67

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I've been narrowing down my first handgun choice for a while now and would really like it to be one of the 9mm mod.2's. I like the feel of the service size, but worry it will be too big to carry. The subcompact would clearly fit the carry bill, but I don't know how I feel about my only gun being a 3 inch subcompact. The XDM 3.8 compact is a good compromise on size with its barrel:grIp ratio, but it's $100 more and I don't think it's worth it. Could anyone please tell me which one of the mod.2 models they would choose? I see tons of pictures of the subcompacts and people seem to love it, but I just don't know if I'd rather have the service model.
I'm a skinflint at times without a good reason, but I am not saying you are. It helps me when people remind me that I shot up $100 at my last range session, but quibble over $50 on a gun.

That said: With the cheapest of ammo, you will make up the difference in the XDM 3.8 in 5-10 boxes, unless you already reload for 9mm.

Reactions: windsearcher

·
Registered
268 Posts
I carry the xd service 9. No real issues. It hides easily. It doesn't weigh a lot. I've never had somebody point it out.

When I go places I'm concerned about being discovered and a scene that may cause, I do carry my xds.

But seeing as I've never been discovered, to my knowledge, I don't know that I have a real need for the compact or just a perceived one.

I shoot a lot better with the full size.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You've already laid out a good pro/con argument for each - and any one of those would be a fine choice. Every choice involves compromise, and only you know which of the many characteristics you've listed are most important to you. I'd recommend you make your "T" chart comparison again, definitely shoot each one, if at all possible, and then make a choice and don't second guess yourself.

(fill in the blank)

You can never have just one! It may not happen quickly, but once you buy one, you're sucked into the vortex and the next one is only a matter of time.

Enjoy!
So true. In less than 6 months I had gun #2. About a year later gun #3. There's a pattern you would easily pick up on if I continue.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Depending on your skill level, you may not notice any difference, at all, between the SubCompact and the Service model.

If you have a shop/range around you that will allow you to shoot these guns as rentals, that should help you cement the decision.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You can't go wrong with a xd mod two
you can't go wrong with a xd mod 2 sc in 45

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

(fill in the blank)

Enjoy!
Oh I absolutely will buy more! But right now I'm a broke college kid and it took me months to save for this one. So it will be a while before my next purchase hence the "only gun" comment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can't go wrong with a xd mod two

you can't go wrong with a xd mod 2 sc in 45
I would really love to get the 45 sc version....except my girlfriend cannot shoot a 45. Too much recoil for her. We are getting an apartment together so I want my first gun to be usable by us both. She'll shoot 9mm all day and has told me she does not feel confident using a larger caliber to save her life. So, as in every relationship, I'm compromising and getting a 9mm first. If I get the service 9, I'll get the sc 45 next, or if I get the sc 9, the service 45 will follow. I love 45acp, but I will not be getting one just yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Depending on your skill level, you may not notice any difference, at all, between the SubCompact and the Service model.

If you have a shop/range around you that will allow you to shoot these guns as rentals, that should help you cement the decision.
A local range has the mod.2 sc 9mm for rent and I'll definitely be going to shoot it soon. Wish they had the service to rent as well but sadly they dont. I've been sitting on this thought throughout the day and think I am going to go with the sc 9. Being a college student, especially now that Georgia allows campus carry, I think I will benefit more by having smaller, more comfortable/concealable handgun that I will actually keep on me as opposed to the service model which may get left at home a lot if I'm going somewhere more discreet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, as I've said, my second gun WILL be a 45, and I think that getting the service model in that caliber would be more beneficial than the sub compact. I plan to take the 45 in the woods as a hunting backup, and the full size 45 is definitely more appealing for that role than the sub compact.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for your replies thus far! Please keep them coming! I do think I am getting over the stigma if the sub compact 9, and that it would most likely serve me well. Just need to go shoot it before pulling the trigger on buying it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would really love to get the 45 sc version....except my girlfriend cannot shoot a 45. Too much recoil for her. We are getting an apartment together so I want my first gun to be usable by us both. She'll shoot 9mm all day and has told me she does not feel confident using a larger caliber to save her life. So, as in every relationship, I'm compromising and getting a 9mm first. If I get the service 9, I'll get the sc 45 next, or if I get the sc 9, the service 45 will follow. I love 45acp, but I will not be getting one just yet.
I have the 3" Mod 2 in 9mm and shot the 45 at a SA Range Day. I could not tell the difference in recoil between the two guns. It surprised the chit out of me...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I absolutely love my XD MOD II 45! Subcompact 3.3 inch barrel, great shooter too. Very easy to shoot and can be used for either CCW or home defense! Very affordable too at 469 online price.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the 3" Mod 2 in 9mm and shot the 45 at a SA Range Day. I could not tell the difference in recoil between the two guns. It surprised the chit out of me...
Yup same here! I can shoot my XD MOD II 45 subcompact really fast and I'm not even an expert. It actually makes my 9mm guns feel like pee shooters. Haha.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Heck I can even shoot my 45 with one hand in either hand. It just takes a little practice. That's how manageable the XD MOD II 45 subcompact is. That's what I would buy!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Was in the same boat as you when I bought my XDM. I love my XDM because it is capable of being carried and also fits my hand great for a day at the range. I carry my XDM mostly during the colder parts of the year now. I carry a single stack for the hotter days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
821 Posts
The gun is the cheapest thing you will buy, so a $100 difference is nothing in the long term.

Buy the gun you will *use*. I carry a service 99% of the time. On a rare occasion I will carry a sub-compact. I love to shoot the Service, which is why it gets carried the most.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The gun is the cheapest thing you will buy, so a $100 difference is nothing in the long term.

Buy the gun you will *use*. I carry a service 99% of the time. On a rare occasion I will carry a sub-compact. I love to shoot the Service, which is why it gets carried the most.
In my case, for some reason I can shoot my subcompacts better than my full size or compact models. I think that it has to do with my pinky not being rested on my subcompacts. I do have to train a little more to correct this, but ive heard of other people experiencing the same issue. I do have small hands for a guy, so that's probably why. Go figure.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.