Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a few guns that I don't use very often. One is a Kimber Ultra Carry II stainless .45. I haven't carried the Kimber in over a year and it probably has less than 200 rounds through it. I love the gun, it shoots great, looks nice, it's safe, but doesn't have much capacity.

I just bought an XDM 4.5 in .40 caliber two weeks ago and like it very much.

Here is the dilemma.

Do I trade the Kimber for a new XDM 9mm 3.8 so I have some diversity in my lineup? I have never owned a 9mm, but like the idea of the extra capacity and less expensive ammo for the range.

I also have a Glock 27 so I have the sub-compact .40 category satisfied. The Glock is the perfect summer carry pistol. I think the XDM 9mm in 3.8 would satisfy spring and fall nicely and some days in the summer?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I own a few guns that I don't use very often. One is a Kimber Ultra Carry II stainless .45. I haven't carried the Kimber in over a year and it probably has less than 200 rounds through it. I love the gun, it shoots great, looks nice, it's safe, but doesn't have much capacity.

I just bought an XDM 4.5 in .40 caliber two weeks ago and like it very much.

Here is the dilemma.

Do I trade the Kimber for a new XDM 9mm 3.8 so I have some diversity in my lineup? I have never owned a 9mm, but like the idea of the extra capacity and less expensive ammo for the range.

I also have a Glock 27 so I have the sub-compact .40 category satisfied. The Glock is the perfect summer carry pistol. I think the XDM 9mm in 3.8 would satisfy spring and fall nicely and some days in the summer?
If you're buying it for a target gun, then I can't argue with your logic about cheaper ammo. If you're buying it for a carry gun, then my philosophy (for what little it's worth) is to keep the same caliber in all my handguns (40, in my case). Less complexity, and keeps me consistent in my shooting. I also have a limited number of carry guns (2, to be precise) Again, I'm not the sharpest pencil in the can, or the greatest shooter in the world, so I'm looking for simplicity and consistency in what I carry.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would probably be my go to gun for the range because the ammo is so much cheaper than .40 or .45
I cant lie though, I'd probably carry it equal to the rest. I don't believe the difference would be that drastic switching day to day from a .40 to 9mm. I can see a huge difference going from .45 to 9mm or a much smaller caliber.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Once you know for sure the length of the XDm you want (3.8, 4.5, versus 5.25), then I would recommend you acquire it in 40S&W. This would then allow you to acquire barrel convertions to change the caliber for the same firearm. So you end up with a multicaliber firearm without having to purchase one gun for each caliber.

To my knowledge, there are no barrel convertions that allow you change to a higher caliber, so you can't go from 9mm to 40s&w or 9mm to 357 sig. But, if you acquire the firearm in 40s&w then you can acquire after market barrels to change the caliber down to 9mm and such.

Check out the sponsors for this forum to see if anything offer these barrels.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!
:cool:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once you know for sure the length of the XDm you want (3.8, 4.5, versus 5.25), then I would recommend you acquire it in 40S&W. This would then allow you to acquire barrel convertions to change the caliber for the same firearm. So you end up with a multicaliber firearm without having to purchase one gun for each caliber.

To my knowledge, there are no barrel convertions that allow you change to a higher caliber, so you can't go from 9mm to 40s&w or 9mm to 357 sig. But, if you acquire the firearm in 40s&w then you can acquire after market barrels to change the caliber down to 9mm and such.

Check out the sponsors for this forum to see if anything offer these barrels.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!
:cool:
That is a really good idea!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
^Brilliance

·
Registered
193 Posts
, but like the idea of the extra capacity and less expensive ammo for the range.QUOTE]

i cant argue the extra round count because you'll get that. but 9mm Remmington UMC 250 round bulk box at wally world is roughly $62 bucks, same box of .40 is roughly 75 bucks. thats not a huge difference. however if you want a 9mm range gun i would sell the kimber and look at getting the 9mm 5.25

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
, but like the idea of the extra capacity and less expensive ammo for the range.QUOTE]

i cant argue the extra round count because you'll get that. but 9mm Remmington UMC 250 round bulk box at wally world is roughly $62 bucks, same box of .40 is roughly 75 bucks. thats not a huge difference. however if you want a 9mm range gun i would sell the kimber and look at getting the 9mm 5.25
It won't be 100% range gun. It might be 10% range gun? I hardly ever go to the range because of the cost associated. This might make me go more often? I carry everyday and the option for a shorter grip makes it easier to conceal. I like the idea of carrying with the shorter mag in the gun and the longer magazine on my belt if I choose to.

BTW, the Comp-tac MTAC I bought for my recently purchased XDM 4.5" .40 is awesome!!! You dont even know you're wearing it. And their customer service is great.

Most likely, I will carry the 4.5" with heavier clothing in the late fall, winter and early spring. That will also be my night stand gun because of the extra capacity and i like .40's. Then I will use the 9mm compact with lesser clothing in the spring and fall and some summer nights. Then I have a Glock 27 which is the easiest to conceal for all other times.

I hope they give me decent money for my Kimber. It's in great shape and it's hardly been used.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I personally have the xdm 4.5 9mm and I love it!!! I plan on getting the 3.8 compact also in 9 just so I have a carry for all seasons, plus the mags are interchangeable. If you already have a 4.5 in .40 I would stick to that in 3.8, but either way you go they are so sweet.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
, but like the idea of the extra capacity and less expensive ammo for the range.
Don't forget the price difference between 9mm and 40 ammo, divided by the cost of the conversion barrel ;)

It's gonna take HOW MANY ROUNDS to hit the break even point for that barrel ?

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you're buying it for a target gun, then I can't argue with your logic about cheaper ammo. If you're buying it for a carry gun, then my philosophy (for what little it's worth) is to keep the same caliber in all my handguns (40, in my case). Less complexity, and keeps me consistent in my shooting. I also have a limited number of carry guns (2, to be precise) Again, I'm not the sharpest pencil in the can, or the greatest shooter in the world, so I'm looking for simplicity and consistency in what I carry.
This...^^^^^

My daily (open) carry is an XD-40 with my BUG and / or conceal carry is a Glock 27 Gen. 4 in .40 Cal.

I am thinking about selling the Glock and getting and XD-40sc... just to keep them both in the XD (Sprinfield) family....

Outdoorsman

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I made my decision today and decided to get rid of my Kimber .45 Ultra Carry. They gave me $525 for it which I thought was amazing. I paid $640 for it used in '99 or '00 and it could have been in better condition IMO.
So I bought an XDM 9mm compact black on black for $595. I went back and forth comparing the .40 and the 9mm for about a week and made the final decision while at the store. I figured I have a .40 in 4.5 stainless which I bought on the 29th and buying a compact .40 would be somewhat repititious. Also, I have a Glock 27 which already has the compact .40 covered in my collection.
I went with a 9mm which is my first. I figured the 9mm isn't as powerful, but a hollow point is a hollow point from any muzzle and I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it. Plus, it's hard to argue with 20 rds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts