Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i was just wondering for the sake of wondering if anyone here has ever had to use the forward assist on your ar15.
i never have but i was just wondering

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
My buddy had a buffer problem and the bolt would not lock up completely... you had to tap the forward assist a couple times to get it to lock up. He later fixed it and hasn't used it since.

·
Registered
272 Posts
According to many military weapon manuals the forward assist is required anytime you have a mis-fire.
Sports:
S: Slap magazine
P: Pull charging handle
O: Observe Chamber for problems
R: Release charging handle
T: Tap forward assist
S: SHOOT

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea im glad its there so if i needed it i would have it. but since my gun only sees bench use i probably never will but in the SHTF situation where i ddnt have a chance to clean my gun i guess it be very useful

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
When checking the chamger ( slingshot, brass check, tap forward assist, sweep sights, check sights, close ejection port cover)

If you want to see if there is a round in there, but don't want to burn the round (remove it from the rifle) its comforting to be able to hit the forward assist.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I have used it only once
For some reason the bolt did not completely feed the round taped it once and it went right in

·
Registered
747 Posts
I used it a lot when my friends couldn't get the concept of pulling the charging handle back and LETTING GO, instead they just rode it home with they hand and it never closed up right. Thank god for the forward assist, great little addition to that rifle.

TOP OF THE PAGE!!!!!!!!!!!

That deserves a pic of my AR.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
everytime i chamber a round, i always palm the forward assist. its just habit, i dont know where i picked it up from.

come to think of it, with the exception of bolt actions, i always bump the operating rod or forward assist to make sure the bolt closed home.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
everytime i chamber a round, i always palm the forward assist. its just habit, i dont know where i picked it up from.

come to think of it, with the exception of bolt actions, i always bump the operating rod or forward assist to make sure the bolt closed home.
have you ever been in the military?

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
I just remembered the one time I needed it, when I bought my AK47 I didn't slingshot the bolt, took me 5 minutes on the range to figure out that the bolt touching the chamber wasn't closed, an Iraq vet who worked at the ranged laughed and said "its russian, stop being nice to it and it will work" lo and behold it did, but I could not physically close the bolt slowly when it was new.

Nope just tried, still can't close the bolt on my AK slow, wish it had a forward assist.

·
Registered
366 Posts
on my .223, never needed it......on the .308, i need it occasionally. the bolt carrier gets a little sluggish after a couple hundred rounds, the heat from the bigger bang really dries out the bolt, and sometimes it won't fully close.

--John

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I used it occasionaly in the military but never used it on my personl weapon so when I did my varmint build, I bought an upper without it.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Never had to use mine.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts