Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I probably spelled that wrong.

GlockTalk has a few threads about the Gen 4 finish. The way it reads (if you kind of skim information from across several threads) is that GLOCK is now using a finish similar to the HK (which is great, HK finish is awesome).

But, Tennifer used to be a big bragging point, why stop using it? It may have gotten too expensive, maybe? I read years ago that GLOCKs cost under a hundred bucks to produce, they could just eat it a little on their profit margin?

Eh, oh well. I still want to get a G21.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
They are making certain models in the USA now. the process creates cyanide as a by product and is not allowed in the USA. They have to change the process on how they do it and it does not work as good as the way its done in Austria.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
tennifer is not a finish it is a metal treatment they used to black oxide the barrel and slide you cannot see tennifer

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I keep reading that the Tennifer is not allowed in the US, but haven't seen any concrete proof of it. Until I do, I'm going to keep believing that they are still using Tennifer even on the US made pistols. Like MD pointed out though people get the Tennifer confused with the finish. They are different things all together.

One thing that is for sure is that Glock is using a different finish on their newer guns. Newer Gen3's and Gen4's have a different finish than they did a few years ago. The newer finish is much more dull and scratches easier IMO.

Here are two Gen3 G19's the one on the left has the old finish.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
I keep reading that the Tennifer is not allowed in the US, but haven't seen any concrete proof of it. Until I do, I'm going to keep believing that they are still using Tennifer even on the US made pistols. Like MD pointed out though people get the Tennifer confused with the finish. They are different things all together.

One thing that is for sure is that Glock is using a different finish on their newer guns. Newer Gen3's and Gen4's have a different finish than they did a few years ago. The newer finish is much more dull and scratches easier IMO.

Here are two Gen3 G19's the one on the left has the old finish.

Tennifer is allowed in the USA. Its just the way it is done that is not. In Austria the bi product Cyanide is allowed. It is not in the USA so the metal is treated in a different manner. It is still called Tennifer.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Tennifer is allowed in the USA. Its just the way it is done that is not. In Austria the bi product Cyanide is allowed. It is not in the USA so the metal is treated in a different manner. It is still called Tennifer.
That makes sense. Good to know, thanks.

·
Registered
725 Posts
OMG! A cyanide molecule! OMG we're all doomed! Lock down the schools! Hide your women, hide your children, they rapin erryone out here! Wholly crap, WTF is wrong with us?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
OMG! A cyanide molecule! OMG we're all doomed! Lock down the schools! Hide your women, hide your children, they rapin erryone out here! Wholly crap, WTF is wrong with us?
Its not unlike the lead scare, or the dreaded peanut scare...

They shut down a HS playing field near me because someone found out it used to be a skeet shooting range years ago, everyone freaked out that they were going to have kids exposed to lead... ok were the kids eating the field?:rolleyes:

There was a school bus evacuated because someone saw a peanut on the floor and one of the kids riding the bus could have been allergic... ok was the peanut suddenly going to become aerosolized and attack everyone?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
not for nothin', the finish on my Springfield is pretty nice. I see the two Glocks side by side and really appreciate my Springfield.
May just be may poor photo skills, but don't judge Glock's finish based on that photo. Off the top of my head I own, Colt, S&W, Walther, Springfield, Glock, Ruger, and Sig.

Glock's finish is far more superior than any of these other brands. Nothing even close IMO. In Springfield's defense, I do have a first gen XD, with the old finish.

·
Registered
93 Posts
No they just appear to be putting a cheaper finish over the Tennifer on the new GEN 4 guns. Glock IMHO really screwed up on the GEN 4's. Lots of folks defend them but their is no doubt the problems have ben real. Everyone buys Glocks for toughness and reliability. GEN 4's at least the 17 and 19 seem to have tarnished this image. That's why I went with a GEN 3 G19 as opposed to the GEN 4's even though I like the SF frame and small backstrap.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
not for nothin', the finish on my Springfield is pretty nice. I see the two Glocks side by side and really appreciate my Springfield.

The more 'glossy' finish is darn tough. The older finish they went back to that is more dull is not as tough but is fine.

The real nice thing about the Glock tennifer is they just do not rust. I had to dura coat my XD9 to stop the constant rust problem. The dura coat has been on it for about 3 years now and it is wearing off. I use both pistols, as in they just dont go from the safe, to the range then back to the safe. They get carried, used for hunting and working. The XD finish might 'look' better but the tennifer under that finish keeps the piece from rusting. On a work gun I go for performance, not looks. And some go for looks over performance. FWIW, I agree, the HS Produkt does look better, but hidden under my shirt or sights locked onto some vermin, no potential target will know either way what a perty gun looks like, probably wont even care.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Disagree, the new finish doesn't scratch at all. Yes, its more dull, and at first sight would SEEM to be less durable, but its just as tough as the older, shinier finish and won't scratch under normal usage. Mine rotates between a kidex and leather holster and shows no signs of wear. Looks can be deceiving.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
I am just saying... my Springfield isn't too shiny, it isn't too blue or purple, its evenly applied and seems to do the job that it's intended to do. I am not saying its perfect I am saying I am happy with it. that's all.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Disagree, the new finish doesn't scratch at all. Yes, its more dull, and at first sight would SEEM to be less durable, but its just as tough as the older, shinier finish and won't scratch under normal usage. Mine rotates between a kidex and leather holster and shows no signs of wear. Looks can be deceiving.
Well I have two with the old finishes and they don't have a mark on them. Literally look brand new still. My newest glock has the dull finish and it has a couple marks on it. I like the dull look better, and don't mind marks on my guns, but IME it marks easier.

Do you own glocks in the old shiny finish?

·
Registered
104 Posts
The finish is different than the metal treatment. For example, an M&P is Melonite, however you can scratch the finish and amazingly touch it up with a bluing pen. The 3rd Gen Glocks have a pretty impervious finish to scratches (IME) vs 2nd Gen's which the color seems to fade. I have no experience with the 4th Gens yet, but they do look more like a matte silver so they did change something.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Its not unlike the lead scare, or the dreaded peanut scare...

They shut down a HS playing field near me because someone found out it used to be a skeet shooting range years ago, everyone freaked out that they were going to have kids exposed to lead... ok were the kids eating the field?:rolleyes:

There was a school bus evacuated because someone saw a peanut on the floor and one of the kids riding the bus could have been allergic... ok was the peanut suddenly going to become aerosolized and attack everyone?:rolleyes:
Ever been on a dusty ball-field? You may not be eating it but you sure are breathing it. Still, probably negligible.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts