Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
Go for it! Have not heard nor do I have any
complaints with Gerogia Arms.

Ed

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I'll try some out for my .380 and see what I think.
I have PLENTY of Ammo for my XD-9 SC but don't really have any JHP stuff for the .380....and as you stated the price is right....I'll let you know what I think.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks DJDan

That place is about 30 minutes from my work, so I would be able to save shipping too.

What I am interested in is if that ammo would be a effective and reliable choice for self defence ammo.

Just wanted to know if anyone has used ammo from Georgia Arms before?

Jay

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
No problem. My order will be placed in the morning. I will purchase 200 rounds of .380 and shoot 150 of them and report thier performance as soon as I get to the range...probably sometime mid week next week.

I carry Ranger in my XD-9 SC and am happy as can be so I am not switching there.

That being said I never really picked out personal defense ammunition for the .380...it has Magtech Guardian Gold in it now...which has been reliable....with no problems whatsoever..but I used to get a great deal from a friend and that got cut off. :(

I'm prepared for the flaming but the .380 is a Hi-Point so the cheaper the ammunition the better. I kind of feel crazy shooting $75 of Ranger through a $100 gun.
In all honesty the CF380 Hi is amazingly accurate and I have had virtually no problems with it whatsoever (once I stopped shooting American Ammunition)...plus my girlfriend LOVES to shoot it because the recoil is VERY light.
I got her to shoot the XD-9 SC and she doesnt like it at all compared to the Hi-Point...go figure.....she is also 5"2' and 100 lbs. :wink:
If a Hi-Point is what it takes for me to get the girlfriend to the range then SO BE IT!!!:)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
200 Rounds of .380 "Shear" ordered. I was kind of dissapointed to find that their prices had risen. On their web page I would have paid $41 for 200 rounds but ended up paying $45 + shipping.

Of course at the bottom of the page it says in small print that prices are subject to change without notice. :roll:

I asked them what kind of casing/primers they used.
They said they used Winchester and CCI stuff so these might be good...If you can get JHP's that are high quality and reliable for these prices it will be a good deal.

They don't ship on Friday and Monday is the 4th so they will not ship until Tuesday :( I will report back after I have hit the range (and some targets.)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I recieved my 200 rounds of Georgia "Shear" JHP's. They ship fast...so that's a positive as well.
They do not come in standard ammunition boxes. They are in heat sealed plastic bags.
The ammo looks good is about all I can say at this time.
I am headed to the range Sunday afternoon and will report back shortly thereafter.
If these things shoot as good as they look then we are in business.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sounds good DJDan.
keep me posted and thanks again for being a willing test subject.
i hope that these rounds are as good as they say they are.

jay

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Was too busy today to make it to the range. I will head there for sure on Tue early eve. and report back then.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Range Report with pics-

Here are all of the thing that I noted with this ammunition.
I shot 100 rounds through the gun.
On my second round I noticed the gun act a little "funny."
Instead of firing the gun I decided to eject the mag then pull the slide back. As I guessed, the second round, although in the chamber, was almost jammed in there. I had to pull the slide back HARD to get the live round to eject.
Upon inspection I realized this had NOTHING to do with the ammunition. It had EVERYTHING to do with the fact that the feed ramp and the barrel were bone dry and slightly dirty (from my last range trip) causing the casing to bind.

Once I cleaned and oiled the barrel and feed ramp the rounds fired flawlessy! I shot slow and aimed well with some. On other mags I shot through them as fast as I could.

Positives-

-The rounds did not have excessive recoil. They are well within the bounds of what I consider usable as a personal protection ammo.
-I had NO muzzle flash at all which is important to me for personal protection.
-They were pretty accurate-they shoot to point of aim. Although I have shot more accurate ammo such as Ranger these were pretty good.

Negatives-

-They seemed a bit on the dirty side. They did produce a fair amound of smoke from the barrel. I had unburnt powder on my hand and all the way up my forearm. The only ammunition that I have shot that was dirtier was Ammerican Ammunition.
-They come in plastic bags. I guess this really shouldnt be a negative but I am particular and like ammo boxes...but if it means a lower cost per round then so be it. I can handle it.

Below is a link to some pics that I took. I was going to take some pics at the range but as I was walking in I realized that the door said in HUGE letters no photography or videotape whatsoever. I decided not to push my luck since I go their weekly. :wink:

I would recommend people picking up some of this stuff and try it out.

I am now using this as my carry ammunition in my .380 Hi-Point

If you have any other questions let me know and I'll be happy to help.

http://djdanweaver.tripod.com/xd/
When looking at the pics make sure to click the "view full size image" below the larger pic. It will give you much more detail on the photos.

It would be cool if someone with the time and expertise could get some of this ammo and do gelatin or other tests to see how well it works out. I don't have the time...or know how to do much else than fire it down the range at a target. :)

[/img]

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Update-
I know this is an old thread but in case someone found this in a search I wanted you to know.

I had nothing but absolute problems out of the next batch of this ammo that I had.
It constantly fed correctly into the chamber but would NOT eject for ANYTHING!

I had to manually remove over 15 cases from the chamber with tools.

I am returning a bunch of ammo to them because they have a money back guarantee...but do yourself favor and stay away from this stuff.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Friend of mine shoots Georgia Arms Ammunition pretty much exclusively. When he goes to gun shows, that is really all he goes for lately (his wife won't let him buy any more guns right now :( ). Anyways...

He's been through tens of thousands of rounds of GAA's various calibers and bullet weights. He's never had a problem, not once. Georgia Arms makes good stuff at a good price. It is unfortunate that DJDan didn't have a good experience with it. I've only shot georgia arms a few times when we've met each other at the range. I've shot some 5.56, 180 gr .40, 147 gr 9mm, .44 MAG, and a few others that I'm too tired to think of, but they never hiccuped once.

Maybe it was that gun again, eh DJDan? :D

-stunks

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I didnt shoot this stuff out of either of my XD's. I shot the .380 ammo out of my Hi-Point.

That being said...I have NEVER had a problem with this pistol other than American Ammunition.
It shoots amazingly well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts