Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mainly see examples of the white dots on sights being painted. Can this stuff be used effectively on the front fixed sight of my bulldog revolver??? I carry it at night with rat shot for snakes and a couple hollow points in it for anything else. It's the Charter arms .44 Spcl so the rear sight is only a slight recess, not sure how I'm gonna highlight that area yet. Also I've heard of using clear nail polish after wards to keep it from flaking. Anyone with any experience using the stuff I would be greatly appreciative to hear your ideas.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I used it on the front ramp of my AR pistol. Worked fine. 2 thin coats. 2 thin coats of clear nail polish. Tried taping it off. Removing the tape pulled the paint off. Comes with Woden tooth pick to apply. The small bottle will last forever. Haven't shot the weapon yet to see if it will hold.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I have it on the front bead sight of my 12 gauge and it honestly completely exceeds my expectations.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Seems to be pretty durable. I put it on my XDm .45 and Shield 9mm sights about 6 months ago. 400-500 rounds on each since, and it's still there and still glows in the dark. I did coat the sights/dots with clear nail polish after applying the Glow On.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I applied it to my LCR 357 and the glow-on definitely makes a difference. In the daytime the sights appear white and are much more visible than the stock sights. In the dark mine appear similar to a bright lime green and definitely can see the sights where normally at night could not see the sights at all.
After applying light the glowing only stays bright for a couple hours then it does dim way down. During the daylight hours walk outside into sunlight and then back inside the house and the sights will be illuminated green instead of just the white appearance when outside.
I did an experiment to see the effects of the glowing sights in a dark room. In a dark room you can see the illuminated sights very plainly but you can not make out any object to sight in on. Looking into a dark kitchen I could make out nothing but the green illuminated sights.
So I used an LED 150lm hand held flashlight to target an object.
If I sighted the gun and flashlight beam directly on the target then the sights had no illumination. You can't sight on a bright lighted object and have the illumination effect visible on the sights.
Move the main flashlight beam off target using only the peripheral light from beam and then the sights appear visible greenish white illumination and can see the target.
The small 2.3ml bottle is very inexpensive considering it has enough product to apply on many gun sights.
I was considering ordering some XS dot sights for my LCR but I think this glow-on makes that un-necessary now. I have not used XS dot sights so I really can't give a comparison but for the little upfront money the glow-on is worth a try IMO. I am satisfied with it.

The first pic is taken in a lighted room. The flash did make the sights appear brighter than the normal daylight white appearance. Walk outside into bright sunlight and back inside that same room and the sights will be illuminated green then.
The second pic was taken in a totally dark room.

When applying the paint you can easily wipe any excess off that you got onto an unwanted spot. I tried using a knife on this stuff after days of it drying and the knife didn't flake it off. Clean off any excess before it dries for sure. If you mess it up when first trying to apply it then just wipe it off and start over. It doesn't take much paint on the supplied wooden pick so go easy on it.

I was able to get under an edge of the rear sight paint in pics here and remove it so I could reapply a cleaner thin line for rear sight. Now my rear sights look like thin lines across the top.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I had originally bought the Glow on for a shotgun bead as well to aide in lighting up the coyotes around here. that's good to know it works for you.
and the taping it off idea probably just kept my pistol looking a lot cleaner, Thanks I would have thought of that too late!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
As to the "tape-ing it off" thing... That works well IF you remove the tape while the paint is still wet and the sight face you apply it to is smooth. Sights with ridges or horizontal lines cut in the face will require a coat of something clear first to prevent the colored paint from wandering into the cut surface.

Also, the surface must be chemically clean, so using some alcohol or some other non-residue cleaner and a clean brush (like a new cheap toothbrush bought for the purpose... I always keep some on hand for general gun cleaning anyway) before any painting, will go a long way to insure a good job.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
As to the "tape-ing it off" thing... That works well IF you remove the tape while the paint is still wet and the sight face you apply it to is smooth. Sights with ridges or horizontal lines cut in the face will require a coat of something clear first to prevent the colored paint from wandering into the cut surface.

Also, the surface must be chemically clean, so using some alcohol or some other non-residue cleaner and a clean brush (like a new cheap toothbrush bought for the purpose... I always keep some on hand for general gun cleaning anyway) before any painting, will go a long way to insure a good job.
This^

I have had it on 4-5 guns and works great

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm pretty happy with it after applying to the bulldog. It's in the 24 hr curing process now after applying 3 layers. Next I will put a clear coat of nail polish over the paint and be done with it. I still have 95% of paint left.
I'm addicted to glowing sights lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts