Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like a lost opportunity when Springfield decided not to do some minor re-engineering in turning the .45 into the 9mm.

Losing several ounces of slide would've made for a more balanced piece, and easier to carry.

Has anyone heard of a company that removes weight from the slide?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I guess I've never considered the XDs to be unbalanced so I've never looked for anyone to do something like that. You'd probably need to replace the recoil spring depending on how much lighter you made the slide.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Geo, if the xds needs to be lightened up for you, you might want to go to strictly knives.
Especially with its hostory of hiccups, Id do nothing to adjust lock up on it.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
I am gonna go out on a limb and assume the engineering department left the slide intact for a particular reason--like reliability and durability...

Smaller platform, with a shorter OAL = faster slide cycle speeds...lighten it up and you beat the frame to hell

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Seems like a lost opportunity when Springfield decided not to do some minor re-engineering in turning the .45 into the 9mm.

Losing several ounces of slide would've made for a more balanced piece, and easier to carry.

Actually, Springfield did do some "minor re-engineering" to convert the .45acp XD/S to 9mm. Making signficant changes to slide weight, etc would have required major engineering changes as this would totally alter the relationships of slide weight, recoil forces, spring weights, magazine design, and other factors involved in a functioning semi-auto pistol. I doubt if Springfield would have found such major engineering cost effective, and it would have resulted in a basically totally different pistol. That obviously was not their goal. In fact, for those who want a smaller lighter 9mm, there are already plenty of those on the market, a fact Springfield was no doubt well aware of.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Maybe you should of bought a M&P Shield? :confused:

·
Premium Member
128,172 Posts
Solution to a problem that doesn't exist, IMO.

·
Registered
211 Posts

Geo,

There are two components to keep in mind. Recoil forces generated against the hand, and the mass necessary to strip a round from the magazine and reach proper battery. Reducing slide weight can adversely effect both.

If you need a lighter 9mm, you might try the KelTec offerings. I don't believe they offer the same potential for longevity, but they are certainly lighter.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I would not try to lighten the slide very much without changing spring weight. Or else one could run into function issues. A very qualified gunsmith would be needed, plus several hundred rounds fired for reliability.

Personally I don't think the XD is unbalanced. To me the Sig 2022 is WAYYYY top heavy. Even my XD(m) feels a little top heavy, but not much to really care about

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
XD needed to keep the weight of the XD-S to 21.5oz in order to comply with the government's 'Import Points' to get it into the U.S.. They would have needed to add other BS to make up the points lost by decreasing weight.

Sent from my Transformer TF101

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
XD needed to keep the weight of the XD-S to 21.5oz in order to comply with the government's 'Import Points' to get it into the U.S.. They would have needed to add other BS to make up the points lost by decreasing weight.

Sent from my Transformer TF101
Very, very true. However, I believe the OP was talking about an aftermarket slight reduction. Not a slide from the factory.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Very, very true. However, I believe the OP was talking about an aftermarket slight reduction. Not a slide from the factory.

You are right. However, the OP was also talking about the 9mm version, which in re-engineering, gained a little weight, going up to about 23 ounces, primarily due to the smaller hole in the barrel I suppose.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Geo,

There are two components to keep in mind. Recoil forces generated against the hand, and the mass necessary to strip a round from the magazine and reach proper battery. Reducing slide weight can adversely effect both.

If you need a lighter 9mm, you might try the KelTec offerings. I don't believe they offer the same potential for longevity, but they are certainly lighter.
I have a P11, and I do love it, it is smaller, and lighter than an XDS and packed with 13 rounds. Great design but execution could be better. Mine has been flawless and has a custom trigger, which is lighter than a normal P-11 and buttery smooth. Shoots great, is accurate and absorbs recoil well, and is a GREAT utilitarian gun. I bought it years ago as it was the smallest high cap 9mm back. And only 14.5 oz unloaded. Was my EDC for many years. Still carry it under certain circumstances

That said, I now carry the XDS9 or XDS45 every day. The design is more robust and confidence that it will go bang, if needed, is 100%.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
So you turned a question about lightening an XDs slide into what you carry everyday. And what off brand you carried in the past...bravo! ;) always someone.

Honestly, it was sarcasm, not being a dick.

·
Registered
199 Posts
So you turned a question about lightening an XDs slide into what you carry everyday. And what off brand you carried in the past...bravo! ;) always someone.

Honestly, it was sarcasm, not being a dick.
I was commenting on a comment. Is that okay with you Richard?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Where/who would mill your slide?

Interesting about the import restrictions.

I understand the relationships among mass, springs, recoil etc. A proportionately lighter spring would of course be necessary.

My sense is this heavy slide (for a 9mm) was driven primarily by a desire to keep production costs low. Personally I would've paid a bit more to have a few ounces less.

There is definitely plenty of competition that is lighter. However, I shoot the XDs better, and not just because of the weight. And the fact that so many others managed a similar sized 9mm at significantly less weight really proves my point.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I understand the relationships among mass, springs, recoil etc. A proportionately lighter spring would of course be necessary.

My sense is this heavy slide (for a 9mm) was driven primarily by a desire to keep production costs low.
Actually, just the opposite. Lightening the slide would require increasing the spring rate to compensate and maintain the slide opening rate, as well as keeping the slide closing inertia the same.

The additional weight in the 9mm comes from the extra metal remaining in the barrel with a smaller bore and then the smaller cartridge would only require a change in recoil spring rate. No doubt production costs played some role, but likely the desire to closely maintain the size/feel of the .45 (which of course had already proved immensely popular) in the smaller 9mm was a major factor as well.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just goes to show you, you give shooters the slimmest, most compact .45 on the market and they want a 9mm. So you give'em a 9mm...and they still b-t-h and moan.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Where/who would mill your slide?

Interesting about the import restrictions.

My sense is this heavy slide (for a 9mm) was driven primarily by a desire to keep production costs low. Personally I would've paid a bit more to have a few ounces less.

There is definitely plenty of competition that is lighter. However, I shoot the XDs better, and not just because of the weight. And the fact that so many others managed a similar sized 9mm at significantly less weight really proves my point.

look up DP custom works. Im on their wait list

http://www.dpcustomworksllc.com/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts