Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fairly new, sorry if this is a common post or repeat. I did use the search button first. Has anyone tried ghost ring sights on the xd or xdm? I just purchased a new 4.5" xdm and was wanting to change the sights. This is my 4th xd pistol, but never tried these sights. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks all

·
Registered
532 Posts
I haven't nor have I seen it tried. I would think for a ghost ring to work, it would have to be close the the eye, as like on a rifle, not at arms length. But, I don't know that.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have not tried them, but have heard about them. I use the TruGlo TFO's and love them.
Here is a link to the ghost ring sights. I have no experience with them or the company, but at one time I was thinking about getting a set just to try but never did.

Entreprise Arms

Stay Safe.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have used Ghost ring sights on a pistol. Not nearly as effective as on a rifle. The Ghost ring is too close to the front sight to "Ghost" and it just ends up being a dot in a circle arrangement.

·
Premium Member
127,411 Posts
I have TruGlo TFOs on all my XDs. No personal experience with ghost rings.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I'm no pro by any means. But it seems to me ghost ring sights on a pistol is not necessary. And it seems like it would slow down your ability for a rapid flash sight picture during rapid fire drills.

Just my 2. Never tried them. And I don't think I ever will.

If you want better sights there have been some good ones mentioned.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Yeah, a ghost ring sight is best left for tactical shotguns, or other long guns.

I had Truglo TFO's on an XD 9mm Tactical and XD 40 sub. They worked on the 9mm, but the front vial broke and fell out twice (meaning the first sight broke, had a brand new one professionally installed, and it broke as well) on the sub compact while shooting. The recoil was too much for it to handle I guess. In my opinion, having your sights break on a weapon is the last thing you should have to worry about. With that said, I would never trust TFO's on any of my handguns due to my poor experience.

Just get Trijicons or Meprolight night sights and be done with it. No need to worry about those breaking on you! I have them on all my handguns and tactical shotguns and they hold up great!

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Just get Trijicons or Meprolight night sights and be done with it. No need to worry about those breaking on you! I have them on all my handguns and tactical shotguns and they hold up great!
Sums it up for me very nicely as well....

·
Registered
5 Posts

Man, I hate to make this my first post, so take this FWIW.

I bought the Xd45c for a carry weapon, to give a rest to the Shorty 45, and because I believe having just one SD weapon is not a good idea (and any excuse to buy a new gun is good, right?).

I am not a Spring Chicken, and although I have perfect vision, my arms have gotten way too short in the last few years making it hard to focus on a front sight. I am also not any kind of expert in all this, so don't have any particular school of thought to defend.

I just got the Xd back from Goshen, and am still getting used to the sites (in fact only been to the range once with them), but I am extremely pleased. At ranges out to 10 yards (the farthest I shot with them so far) it is quite effective, and an improvement not so much in shot placement yet but in ease of use and ability to get on target. I have been running through some practice tips from Tim, who called me and worked with me for an hour after I got the gun back, and feel that the next range trip will be very telling.

This is a different concept that Ghost Rings on a rifle, and is a "Combat Sight", not a target sight, and understanding that will set your expectations correctly.

I am not going to say they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, everyone is different and I simply do not have enough time with them to say more than I have. So far, I am really liking them as they appear to do what I wanted them to do. And Tim did excellent work, with plenty of communication.

I know everyone states unequivocally that you are supposed to focus on your front site to shoot accurately, and maybe because that is hard for me to do (presbyopia) I was more willing to try the "target" focus approach. I also can appreciate the research on physiology in stress situations, because I certainly know my own limitations. Like most of you I have taken action to defend myself and my family and want to make sure I am practiced and capable of doing it, while praying I never have to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
BTW....I joined here because of the ton of very useful information, and the "feel" this place has. Most folks seem very friendly and helpful, and I have learned a lot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am fairly new, sorry if this is a common post or repeat. I did use the search button first. Has anyone tried ghost ring sights on the xd or xdm? I just purchased a new 4.5" xdm and was wanting to change the sights. This is my 4th xd pistol, but never tried these sights. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks all
I have "Hexsites" on both my XDM45 and XDM40 3.8. Love them. I don't believe they are quite the same as Ghost Ring although I have no direct experience.

Google Hexsites and go the Goshen webpage to read up about them. I would never go back to regular iron sights. I even got rid of my TFO tritium sights and replaced them with the Hexsites for multiple reasons. Do some research online.
http://www.goshen-hexsite.com/index2.php

·
Registered
434 Posts
I tried the ghost ring on a POS Hi-Point C9 that I had. They came in the box with the pistol. I, personally, didn't care for it and put the other plastic sight back on. But, then again. I didn't care for the C9 either. LOL

In the spirit of fairness to Hi-Point, the 995TS is an awesomely fun pistol caliber carbine.

I would say, each to his own.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts