Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I was wondering about trying something on my Tactical XD's slide....
Black Kiwi shoe polish. Thats right....shoe polish.... I mean...it's just a wax, so why not?

I put some on and....it is noticeably shinier...and possibly more "black".
It definitely adds more depth to the original black.

Fingerprints don't show, like with oil.

What do you all think?

I have some pics but can't figure out how to put them on here. :roll: [/img]

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
I would say it is too easy and cannot possibly work. That said, there is no reason it shouldn't, from what I know. Interesting...

Are you pictures hosted somewhere?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes..I have some pics ..but not sure how to post them....
Any help would be great.

The Kiwi shoe polish seems to work.... :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Old school....

I know there are a lot of products out there...but I just happen to have this stuff lying around...so why not if it works .

Imo...it looks pretty good.
Then again ...All XD's look good!

Besides...it's nice shooting a gun that is the envy of all Block owners! :p :D

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Hey, heres an idea; how about using Kiwi on your boots and gun products on your guns? If you want black hands every time you handle your pistol, then go for it. :roll:

ranburr

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Interesting idea.

I would think the black would come off on your hands though. I remember trying to use black shoe polish on a baseball bat, it was a mess.

There's also a plastic shoe polish. I don't know if it would be good for the slide, but the polymer car wax I use is great. (Just very expensive). But maybe the plastic polish wouldn't come off on your hands.

I don't know what the plastic shoe polish is called. I had never heard of it, but when I went to my son's graduation for the Navy Nuke Power School in November, the night before we shared a hotel room and he spent quite a while ironing his uniform. When he polished his shoes he used the plastic shoe polish. Maybe it would be too shiny for a gun since his dress uniform shoes are patent leather. But maybe the stuff comes in a more dull finish.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
9 Posts
shoe polish (being wax based) will melt and come off with the heat from the slide.. (old trick of polishing military boots, was to set a good flat base by putting a heap on and melting it.. it would solidify in a harder flatter base).

[/b]

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
ckc said:
shoe polish (being wax based) will melt and come off with the heat from the slide.. (old trick of polishing military boots, was to set a good flat base by putting a heap on and melting it.. it would solidify in a harder flatter base).

[/b]
I don't know...waxes have come a long way since I was in the service. I know they sell waxes for automobile wheels that withstand a lot of brake heat, and someone in another thread said there is a wax used on motorcycle chains.

But I will stick with my polymer synthetic "wax" (Klasse). It's kept my gun looking new even with salt water exposure. Last week I was showing the gun to my friend's wife...she's a gun person but never heard of an XD... she has a couple of Glocks and is a world class skeet and trap shooter....her sister was on the Olympic shooting team.

Gun got forgotten about..left on a lawn chair. That night we had a real heavy squall come through. The chairs got blown around my pool enclosure. A couple ended up in the pool. I found my XD in a flower box. It was in the mud and water for at least 36 hours. Wiped it off and the outside looked mint. Field stripped it, displaced any water with WD40, and cleaned as usual (CLP). Shot it last night....perfect as always.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Delija said:
ckc said:

[/b]
I don't know...waxes have come a long way since I was in the service. I know they sell waxes for automobile wheels that withstand a lot of brake heat, and someone in another thread said there is a wax used on motorcycle chains.

But I will stick with my polymer synthetic "wax" (Klasse). It's kept my gun looking new even with salt water exposure. Last week I was showing the gun to my friend's wife...she's a gun person but never heard of an XD... she has a couple of Glocks and is a world class skeet and trap shooter....her sister was on the Olympic shooting team.

Gun got forgotten about..left on a lawn chair. That night we had a real heavy squall come through. The chairs got blown around my pool enclosure. A couple ended up in the pool. I found my XD in a flower box. It was in the mud and water for at least 36 hours. Wiped it off and the outside looked mint. Field stripped it, displaced any water with WD40, and cleaned as usual (CLP). Shot it last night....perfect as always.

Peace,
D.
Dude, my wife would beat my ass if I left a gun out like that! She doesn't even like it when I put it in the drawer next to the bed any longer than overnight!

·
Registered
250 Posts
SLCDave said:
Dude, my wife would beat my ass if I left a gun out like that! She doesn't even like it when I put it in the drawer next to the bed any longer than overnight!
Then you don't have her trained correctly.... :twisted:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate all of the responses....

The black shoe polish really does make the gun look outstanding!
Just the right amount of shine. And it does seem to fill in any of the surface texturing, creating a very rich and full looking color black.

As far as the durability of it...I don't see why it won't stay in place.
I usually don't shoot my XD repeatedly until the upper slide assembly gets so hot as to melt anything i put on it.

I would ask someone else to try this as well ...and see what they think of the way it makes the XD look and feel. If this experiment doesn't work...so what?
There are plenty of things to buy..right? Besides....not all of us have unlimited amounts of money to spend...and i did have the Kiwi shoe polish right there in my drawer.

I will let you all know what happens at the range, after shooting it.

If any of you are brave enough to try the Kiwi black shoe polish on your XD...I used the black paste in the flat container.

Tell me what you think...after trying it. 8)

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
RatMan said:
SLCDave said:
Then you don't have her trained correctly.... :twisted:
Well, I live alone..I am widowed. But I guess I did not have my wife "trained" either. No way would she have ever let me keep a loaded gun in the house. When our boy was old enough to snoop and find anything, she made me get rid of my last pistol. Traded it for a very cool Fender tube amp (same one Duane Allman used to play lead on the studio recording of Clapton's 'Layla").

Now I am the master of my domain. The king of my castle. The head cheese and the big kahuna.

I still don't keep any guns loaded in the house. I do keep a loaded magazine I can get to quickly. But it is not in the gun and hopefully never will need to be.

Except at the range, or if I am carrying.

Peace,
D.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts