Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, hope everyone is doing well.

I decided to paint the lettering on my XD 45ACP to make it stand out. I think it turned out great.

Was curious if anyone else has done this. If so, post them pictures here.

Thanks

·
Registered
180 Posts
I’d be interested in doing that to mine but I wouldn’t know the first thing on what to do and how to make it lady when I clean the gun. I guess I could consult with YouTube. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
The only time anyone will see my carry is if they looking at the business end so I see no need to doll up a tool.

Too each their own I say.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The only time anyone will see my carry is if they looking at the business end so I see no need to doll up a tool.

Too each their own I say.

Who would be doing this completely for someone else’s benefit other than for their own??

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
Who would be doing this completely for someone else’s benefit other than for their own??

That was the point.
If YOU want it cool.

Other than the look at me aspect whats the point in it?

If its your thing go for it.

·
Registered
9,556 Posts
I did mine a few yrs ago. I liked the way my German guns (Walther, HK) with the proof marks and manufacturing data highlighted in white look.

Still looks good (avatar pic) but I only did the one XDM... the novelty wore off.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Is anybody going to explain the process and steps for the new members?
I watched a YouTube video but either I didn’t do it right or I didn’t use the right fingernail polish because when I cleaned the gun afterwards, it ended up washing it out so I gave up.

·
Registered
9,556 Posts
Is anybody going to explain the process and steps for the new members?
Clean the area to be painted with isopropyl alcohol. Do a good job or the paint won't stick

Pick a color, model paint or nail polish works.

Paint the letters. Don't try to keep it "in the lines", you'll remove the sloppiness next. But you also don't want globs of paint since it's just more work to clean up later. Dabbing works to get the paint into the recessed areas.

Allow to semi-dry.

Use non acetone nail polish remover and a clean rag to wipe the excess paint away. Light colors can leave a ghost on rough surfaces (like Melonite) so try to keep the area small and the amount of excess paint to a minimum. Wrapping your rag around a paint stick (or similar flat object) can help keep from pulling paint out of the letters... similar to a sanding block when using filler.

There used to be a whole thread on it... maybe it didn't make the move to the NEW AND IMPROVED XDTalk. Some people use melted crayons, but I've never tried it. My crayons are precious, and they won't let me have matches in this place.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sorry for the dust particles coming out of the holster, but it's a working gun for me. Also the pistol I used to pass my Texas LTC a few years back.
I used the technique described in the previous post. Used Testor's model paint - seems I recall thinning it a bit before initial application. So far, it's lasted for several years (forgot when I did it originally). Process isn't too difficult to do; and if a mistake is made, just remove it and start over.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts