Springfield XD Forum banner

Has anyone heard

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Kaboom 
#1 ·
if SA will make a Subcompact .45ACP?

I got an itch, and a XD45SC might scratch it for me...

#2 ·
It looks like most if not all of SA's R&D right now is going into the (M). I have seen several threads about the development of a XD45SC here on this forum. If I remember correctly, some have even contacted SA about it and I believe the response from SA has been, there are no plans to build a 45SC. I know there has been some clamoring for a 10mm XD as well and the same response is common. That being said, it seems that SA and most gun manufactures are pretty tight lipped when it comes to new pistols they are developing so, is there a possibility??? Yes, but I would say don't hold your breath.

#4 ·
SA in cooperation with the Croats has been trying to develop an SC version in 45 but the geometry just doesn't work in the XD design, the 45Compact is likely the closest we will get.
If I had to choose one or the other I would choose an XD-10mm in the Compact frame over a 45SC.

#5 ·
Personally I don't see the point of an XDSC model. I had an XD9SC that I traded for an XD Service, which I have since traded for my XD .45 DE/Stainless. I have had no issues whatsoever with any of the three being more difficult to conceal more than the others. Some smaller-framed people might had some problems with a full-length grip, so I can certainly understand the 4" and 5" w/ compact grips, but for the SC, I'll pass. And this coming from a guy who owned one! Now if they made a single-stack SC that was small enough for pocket carry, I'd jump on that train, but for holsterable pistols, I want the longest length in the largest caliber. For me that's the .45 Tactical, which I carry in a Crossbreed Super-Tuck.

#6 ·
I don't really see the need for a 3" barrel XD45C. Even with a shorter barrel, it's still going to weigh around 27oz. There are single stack .45s which weigh less if you just have to have one (like the PT745 I sometimes carry in the summer). I am very happy carrying my XD45ComTac in a Crossbreed QuikClip.

#8 ·
When I was first checking out XDs, I saw an XD9SC, and I was told they'd offer it in .45 by that gunshop. I waited for it to come out for a while, but gave up and got a compact. It makes sense that it wouldn't work too well, with the size of the round and whatnot. Just not enough room in there to make it work. Oh well, I'm happy with what I've got, and may get a 9mm SC some day.

#9 ·
Ballistically the difference between the 40S&W and the 45ACP is quite small anyway. There is a much larger difference when going from 9mm to 40 than from 40 to 45.

#10 ·
When I was first checking out XDs, I saw an XD9SC, and I was told they'd offer it in .45 by that gunshop. I waited for it to come out for a while, but gave up and got a compact. It makes sense that it wouldn't work too well, with the size of the round and whatnot. Just not enough room in there to make it work. Oh well, I'm happy with what I've got, and may get a 9mm SC some day.

I had a 9SC. I shot soooo much better with the XD 9 Service. Unless you're so skinny or short that you can't hide anything smaller than a sub-compact, don't bother. It's difficult to maintain consistent accuracy because of the short sight radius. There's nothing the XD9SC offers that you can't find in a 4" or 5" with a compact grip.

#11 ·
I'll give you it's NOT as easy as shooting a longer gun, but I can shoot my mom's kel-tec P3AT OK, and I have a bitty pheonix arms HP22a with a 3" barrel. I can shoot OK @ 10 yds, which is all that would be for. I was thinking about the 9mm SC because it would be just a bit easier to conceal than the 45c. I dunno, not a priority anyways. :|

#12 ·
I'll give you it's NOT as easy as shooting a longer gun, but I can shoot my mom's kel-tec P3AT OK, and I have a bitty pheonix arms HP22a with a 3" barrel. I can shoot OK @ 10 yds, which is all that would be for. I was thinking about the 9mm SC because it would be just a bit easier to conceal than the 45c. I dunno, not a priority anyways. :|
Before you buy the 9mil sub check out a 9mil service.i bought one and like it, slightly thinner and lighter than the 45c .Living in N.J. it came with 10rd mags so it makes for a lighter carry if you want and both have a 4" barrel which makes it easier to switch,plus a better range gun.

Pete V

#13 ·
A friend of a friend had one, and they came over to shoot one day. I got to try it out anyways. It was a bit lighter, and smaller than the .45, but I want to try the SC. I'll probably rent one like I did with the .45. :wink:

#14 ·
I want a sub-compact XD in .45 ACP. That is all. My only auto of a different caliber is Grandpa's P-35 NAZI Hi-Power war trophy. I have no desire or use for any other caliber.

I want one for a back-up to my duty gun, a 4" XD Compact. If I have to wait, I will. That's all. When I carried one of my 5" 1911s, my bug was a 3" 1911. I like the identical manual of arms and being able to use the full-size mags in the compact.

#16 ·
Before you buy the 9mil sub check out a 9mil service.i bought one and like it, slightly thinner and lighter than the 45c .Living in N.J. it came with 10rd mags so it makes for a lighter carry if you want and both have a 4" barrel which makes it easier to switch,plus a better range gun.

Pete V
Shorter maybe, lighter probably, thinner? no, all XDs are the same width regardless of caliber or model.

#17 ·
I'll be the fly in the ointment. With all nonsense aside, I can shoot my Subcompact in 9mm as well as I can shoot my Tactical in 9mm. It seems strange but its the same for me with my 5" SA Mil-Spec & Taurus PT1911AR vs. my Kimber Ultra Carry II, all in .45acp.

If they can't do it then it would'nt bother me as I don't feel outgunned with my SC in 9mm loaded with 124gr. HST +P.

#19 ·
I'll be the fly in the ointment. With all nonsense aside, I can shoot my Subcompact in 9mm as well as I can shoot my Tactical in 9mm. It seems strange but its the same for me with my 5" SA Mil-Spec & Taurus PT1911AR vs. my Kimber Ultra Carry II, all in .45acp.

If they can't do it then it would'nt bother me as I don't feel outgunned with my SC in 9mm loaded with 124gr. HST +P.
Same here. I have all kinds of XDs but I can shoot my 9mmSC more accurately than my 9mmService. Last weekend I was shooting a gallon jug at 100yds with the SC. Out of 16 rnds ( Service mag ) I hit it twice, and the flying dirt on the berm indicated all the rounds were hitting within about 3ft.

#21 ·

Pete V
Shorter maybe, lighter probably, thinner? no, all XDs are the same width regardless of caliber or model.
i thought that the .45acp slide was slightly wider than the 9mm or .40..
Nope, I even have a pic of my 40 slide on my 45 frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.