Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ruger lcp and it is starting to rust in the grooves on the slide. I talked to my gunsmith and he recommended Cerakote. Just wanted to know if anyone has had any problems with this product.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I've found that the key is prep. I've had bolt knobs where the coating wore off after several hundred shots and 1911 pieces that look unused after several thousand rounds. I also learned yesterday that there multiple types of cerakote. Done right it's a long lasting and durable coating.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Total removal of existing rust and proper neutralization of any embedded oxide particles with removal of all traces of moisture must be included in the prep or rusting may continue under the coating.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Strange, my pocket carry LCP has some rust like markings on the end of the slide, near the barrel exit. I usually just rup it off with some pretty firm elbow grease, but boy is it on there! not sure what it is, cause it always comes off eventually!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Talked to others on a Ruger forum and they are having the same problem. I e-mailed Ruger and their response was ...some holsters and persperation can cause this problem and Ruger is willing to reblue the lcp for $100.00. Think I might give cerakote a try on my lcp for $45.00 and if it works I'll consider doing my XDSC.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I have it on two guns and plan in doing the rest of them. If you have Facebook look up Carolina mountain tactical. They did mine and many more and have numerous pics on their page.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
Talked to others on a Ruger forum and they are having the same problem. I e-mailed Ruger and their response was ...some holsters and persperation can cause this problem and Ruger is willing to reblue the lcp for $100.00. Think I might give cerakote a try on my lcp for $45.00 and if it works I'll consider doing my XDSC.

"while we recognize our finish is crappy and wont hold up against sweat and a holster, we will do the right thing and offer you our crappy refinishing service for 100 bucks." :-|

are they serious?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have an LWRC that has a Cerakote finish and have found it very durable and nice looking to boot. While I haven't tortured the gun by any means I do shoot it quite a bit and the finish doesn't show wear at all except the faintest mark on the shell deflector.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts