Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning my XDm and my 1911 at the same and I noticed something. The same barrel brush required more force going in and out of the XDm barrel than the 1911. So it must be bigger.

So I'm going to check it by slugging the barrel to check the diameter.

Yes I shoot my own hard cast lead bullets.

This afternoon I measured .450 at the bore and .442 at the lands.

I'm hoping to recheck this with a friend and compare both the 1911 barrel and the XDm.

If you've slugged your barrel to get an accurate measurement of the bore, please share your results.

·
Super Moderator
22,186 Posts
Ah... what?

Pics?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the original post, I shared that I noticed a difference when cleaning two barrels of the same caliber side by side with the same brush.

The XDm required more force to work the same size brush. Could it be a smaller bore than my Kimber? Its entirely possible.

So I'm going to slug both barrels and get a measurement of the bore in each and compare. This could prompt me to size my cast lead boolits down to a smaller size IF my XDm barrel bore proves to be in fact smaller.

·
Super Moderator
22,186 Posts
Do you have to worry about this with new barrels?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Actually instead of casting smaller bullets for your XD, get a tight bore barrel for the 1911, that way they both shoot accurately.

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I actually slugged my barrel yesterday. The XDm is barrel is a smaller bore. 1.7 thousands of an inch.

The XDm 45ACP slugged at .4504
The 1911 Kimber slugged at .4521

The XDm's tighter bore is causing issues with my cast lead reloads which have no problems in the 1911. And in order to rectify the problem, I'll need the cast lead bullets sized down to .451. Standard practices for hard cast lead suggest bullets sized to .452.

This is why I asked the original question. Especially if you happen to reload ammo and shoot with cast lead bullets.

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
Negative. Never found a need to.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
interesting. i had never thought there would be much of a difference in tolerances.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Standard factory 45ACP bullets are .452. The barrels will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

For XDm owners who reload using lead bullets, a smaller bore barrel could be a serious problem and accelerate lead buildup issues. On a cast bullet forum, there's been some discussion involving XDm owners and heavy lead accumulation in their barrel. Lead is very stubborn to remove.

They too discovered that their barrel bores were tighter than normal compared to other 45ACP barrels.

Sure I could by FMJ or plated bullets. But they are more expensive and SA has gone out of their way to point out that these XDm guns are good to go shooting lead.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've been following along and can't believe there is'nt anybody else here that knows about slugging the barrel and shooting lead bullets:confused::confused:I am shooting hardcast in my 1911 ,Berettas and now, XDM's(40 and 45).My 45 bullets are 14BHN,but haven't shot many(just getting up to speed with them)so I may watch out for increased leading compared to my 1911. By shooting lead I can shoot three times more for the same price as Jacketed.Sounds like a real good reason to me.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why use lead cast bullets?
Been casting my own lead bullets for over a year, can produce 100 rounds for about $2.70, not bad.

I have noticed that some of my reloads have gotten "stuck" in my new
5.25 xdm 45acp, I tightened up my crimp and inspected my rounds closer, haven't had any problems lately, I think the barrel needs to be "broken" in?
anyone else have any ideas?:?:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I resized a 45 case and primed it with a large rifle primer. No powder. Seated the bullet and light crimp. Coated it with oil.

Fired it in the pistol and it seated in the barrel a half inch deep. I drove it out and measured it with a dial caliper.

I will never shoot lead again without slugging.

I will add that the inside of my barrel was so perfectly clean that it shined. The Kimber barrel has tooling marks and waves inside.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm going to try that method with both my 45's.I already use larger 9mm's for my Berettas because their bores are bigger than most,so why not do the same with the 45's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts