1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Looks like the description clears up your confusion. It's a 490 saod chamber. Same as 50 beo. Like the 264 lbc is the same chamber (for all intents and purposes) as the 6.5 grendel. They probably just changed the chamber slightly to get away from the AA patent to make it cheaper and not buy the AA license.

Also, the description states it's the upper only. The color is just the different company's anodizing. It's still black. The camera gives that effect sometimes.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
That would be stupid since AA doesn't charge for their license.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The off color black is probably some combination of the camera used to take the picture and the quality of the anodizing. However, I work with black anodized parts every day and every so often the anodize shop just gets the formula wrong or doesn't replenish the chemicals. Its apparently very difficult to get consistent results with out going to considerable trouble to monitor the process.

The result is the parts look a bit off but not horrible for a short time when you first get them.. but over a period of a few months the color can really fade. I have had to replace parts on a customer's system that had discolored to the point it looked almost purple/pinkish color. If you look at the lower in the pictures it is nice and dark black as you would expect. So I suspect that this is mostly the result of a poor quality finish rather than the camera actually.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The off color black is probably some combination of the camera used to take the picture and the quality of the anodizing. However, I work with black anodized parts every day and every so often the anodize shop just gets the formula wrong or doesn't replenish the chemicals. Its apparently very difficult to get consistent results with out going to considerable trouble to monitor the process.

The result is the parts look a bit off but not horrible for a short time when you first get them.. but over a period of a few months the color can really fade. I have had to replace parts on a customer's system that had discolored to the point it looked almost purple/pinkish color. If you look at the lower in the pictures it is nice and dark black as you would expect. So I suspect that this is mostly the result of a poor quality finish rather than the camera actually.
Thanks that makes sense, I was wondering about that..

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol and yes it does look like a ray gun

1 - 9 of 9 Posts