Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about doing a ghost 3.5 lb trigger job on my g23 but have some questions and concerns.

First of all, since it is my main carry gun I just wanted to know how many of you have done a trigger job on your glocks and still feel safe carrying it daily?

Secondly, how easy is it to do? I was watching youtube videos online and it seems pretty simple. I am not a professional gun smith by any means, but I would like to learn how to do something like this and if it is intimidating at all.

Third, did you notice a definite and immediate improvement over the stock glock trigger? I am really just rooting for a smoother, crisper trigger pull.

That's pretty much all I've got.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Very simple. Just involves changing springs and the connector for a basic trigger job.

Custom Trigger Parts-www.glockmeister.com

Glock parts are dirt cheap compared to other guns. You can mix and match springs and disconnectors to get a specific weight or just buy a trigger kit. Either way it installs in minutes with no smithing.

You can notice a difference depending on your stock configuration. My G19 was an LE trade that had a 12lbs NY trigger. Bought a $3 spring and a couple of connectors and tried them until I got the right combination.

http://www.glock.com/english/index_acc.htm

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Welcome to the forum Sage88..

I'm subscribing to your thread.
I'll be buying a G19 in a few weeks.
Although I like the stock Glock trigger, I am also considering the ghost 3.5 lb trigger..

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I have Vanek Customs "Classic Trigger Kits" in all my Glocks. I have my Gen4 G17 tuned to 2.48 lbs, it breaks like glass, has no over-travel, and a super short reset.

·
Registered
602 Posts
First of all, since it is my main carry gun I just wanted to know how many of you have done a trigger job on your glocks and still feel safe carrying it daily?
While internet opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them, if this is a carry gun, I wouldn't mess with the trigger at all.

You will not need clinical precision to engage someone at combat distance. You will probably be scared xxxxless, and have trouble just holding the gun steady, much less savor the finer points of your velvet-wrapped "glass rod" trigger pull.

There is also anecdotal evidence that some prosecutors could use this against you if you are involved in an incident that is close to the edges of "acceptable".

I don't see much upside, and a lot of downside, but many guys will have the exact opposite opinion.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Done at least a dozen. If you can work a Dremmel & can read, youre set.

Ghost 5.0 Tactical Rocket. A MUST HAVE. beats the 3.5 hands down. I've tried them all

Titanium plunger, (or reshape & polish your own

Trigger spring upgrade to 6lb, up from 5lb factory (i know that sounds backwards, but the trigger spring actuallu helps the trigger pull engage)

If you don't want to reshape the connector above, Rocket, (it is really easy & they send you directions), you can buy the Lone Wolf Ultimate Stop to give you shorter trigger reset.

titanium firing pin is a waste of money IMO, but certain areas need polished.

Then search for the 0.25 cent trigger job by polishing the parts with FLITZ polish. Or the light dremmel polish works ok.

Don't mess with the recoil spring, it won't help the trigger

Grease, lube, shoot, enjoy!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
While internet opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them, if this is a carry gun, I wouldn't mess with the trigger at all.

You will not need clinical precision to engage someone at combat distance. You will probably be scared xxxxless, and have trouble just holding the gun steady, much less savor the finer points of your velvet-wrapped "glass rod" trigger pull.

There is also anecdotal evidence that some prosecutors could use this against you if you are involved in an incident that is close to the edges of "acceptable".

If you are so scared out of your wits that you cannot accurately fire your weapon responsibly, you are one person that should not own one, regardless of trigger or handgun style :???:

I don't see much upside, and a lot of downside, but many guys will have the exact opposite opinion.
The upside is you actually hit your target, rather than an innocent bystander. A decent trigger or a LOT of practice with a bad trigger is required.

Prosecutors are not going to tack that on. A justified shooting is either just that, justified or not. If you are justified in using force or deadly force, your handgun or trigger does not matter. If you are not justified, then you shouldn't shoot or throw anything at them. Period, done. If the prosecutors tries to spin a different tale, that is why you need your attorney to realize the above.
Shoot your single action 1911with a 3lb trigger, or a Beretta with a looooong and heavy trigger....doesn't matter. Justified or unjustified shooting ;)

·
Registered
602 Posts
The upside is you actually hit your target, rather than an innocent bystander. A decent trigger or a LOT of practice with a bad trigger is required.
As I said, opinions vary, and I offered mine.

The stock Glock trigger is more than acceptable for CCW use in my opinion. Ultimate target or competitive shooters may seek that little extra edge, but CCW doesn't need such precision.

In 13 years of concealed carry, I have pulled my gun twice. No matter how cool and collected one is, the adrenaline surge that comes a split second after the thought of "Oh XXXX! This is for real!" will mess you up more than you can imagine.

I did not have to shoot either time. If I had, the super-fine motor control needed to shoot a handgun (more than a few yards) was absent.

I am neither a superhero or a coward. Just discussing the realities of physiology when shooting under extreme stress, and trying to suggest that the greatest trigger in the world won't add much in an actual SHTF event.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I have 12 years as LEO and drawn my handgun/shotgun more times than I could possibly count. I think the fact that you are a professional and self proclaimed Certified Mall Ninja says everything, I'll leave it at that.
Changing a spring and polishing metal is not going to effect fine motor skills. Whatever adrenaline rush you got from pulling on a neighborhood cat, well, you need to leave your chamber empty, that kind of action is why it is too easy to get a Ccw license. Just dangerous on your part.:shock:

You are intitled to your opinion, no problem with that. Carry what you want, but don't give false "internet legal" advice, especially when nobody asked for it! Maybe GlockTalk would like to hear it again.:rolleyes:
But my brother is an attorney, I'm a cop, so all the above legal statements are absolute truth in this state!:cool:

The stock Glock trigger is more than acceptable for CCW use in my opinion. Ultimate target or competitive shooters may seek that little extra edge, but CCW doesn't need such precision.

In 13 years of concealed carry, I have pulled my gun twice. No matter how cool and collected one is, the adrenaline surge that comes a split second after the thought of "Oh XXXX! This is for real!" will mess you up more than you can imagine.

I did not have to shoot either time. If I had, the super-fine motor control needed to shoot a handgun (more than a few yards) was absent.

I am neither a superhero or a coward. Just discussing the realities of physiology when shooting under extreme stress, and trying to suggest that the greatest trigger in the world won't add much in an actual SHTF event.

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
I have a 3.5lb connector on all my glocks is makes the trigger much much better. as for saying the trigger is not good for ccw thats nonsense. I fine pretty much any 1911 or single action is about the same feel for touchyness. It improves the trigger alot just follow the rules of carrying and there will be no accidents.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts

Opinions will indeed vary. However laws do not. If you are justified in the use of lethal force then thats that. No opinions needed.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
I own a few Glocks. My daily carry is a G26. I install aftermarket connectors on all my Glocks. My Glocks' triggers pull from just over 3# to just under 4#. I don't think 1-2# difference would make any difference to some ninnie experiencing adrenaline overdose.

I'm comfortable with my Glocks' triggers. I also always polish all the metal-to-metal contact surfaces of the firing mechanisms, using a Dremel with soft polishing pad and Simichrome.

Other than between the ears of a certain beer-swilling, chain-smoking, self-promoting, non-legally-educated gunrag-writer/seminar-giver, there are no legal problems with using a modified weapon in a self-defense shooting. I get my legal advice from real lawyers. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts