Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My up until today reliable XD-9 had two failures to extract and two failures to feed with this ammo in less than 50 rounds. The pistol runs fine with ball and Fed 115+p+. Any advice would be appreciated. I sure would like to use this Ranger ammo. The pistol is one month old and has 700 rounds through it.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Please provide in detail what kind of feed problems you had. Did the round partially go in the chamber and then hold up or did it jam into the bottom of the feed ramp. etc, etc.

Is the ammo Hollow point? ball, or truncated??/

With regards to ejection, did it stovepipe, leave the empty case in the chamber and not extract??

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
winchester casings are iffy. the rim/lip on the casing isnt deep enough for the extractor to grab onto on some XD's with a broken-in extractor. u may need to have it tuned.(the extractor)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On both fail to extract the empty case was left approximately half way out/in the chamber.

On both fail to feed they nose dived into the bottom of the barrel ramp.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Something is defineately wrong with your extractor. Ranger brass is good brass and your XD should pull em out just fine.

Your extractor needs to be adjusted. Ajames51's site has a detailed breakdown of how to disassemble your extractor. It needs more tension. If you don't feel comfortable working on your gun (many don't) send to to Springfield. they'll give you an rma # and you can fedex it to them at no cost to you.

As far as you feeding is concerned. this can be and usually is magazine related, Nose diving rounds happen when the slide lock hits the plastic follower a little bit and the round is not angled up enough. A little filing on the plastic on the left side (when looking down) may help. This is where your slide lock engages the mag.

Your feed lips may be bent. Check and measure each of you mags.

Your feed ramp may need a little polishing. Dremel and red rouge polishing compound will work. Use the felt pad. Just polish, DO NOT remove metal with filing or polish it all day. Just smooth it up. If that doesn't work then your chamber it too tight and may need work... That goes to SA for a ream. (Worst case scenario)

Some bullets that are long may be hard to feed. I've used many types of 124 gr hardball with no problem. Hollow points youjust need to find one that feeds reliably.

This does happen with many guns, not just XD's.. So don't worry too much. If you are all thumbs, just send it to SA with the mags so they can check everything over.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advise. The malfunctions happened with all three mags and only with the Winchester ammo. The gun is 100% with other ammo.

Is it possible the Ranger +p+ ammo is too "hot" for the XD? Im sure others here use this ammo due to its good reputation.

I hate that I have to do it but Im sending it back to SA

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
All of my guns run fine with Winchester, no reason yours shouldn't.

Send it back, turnaround is about 2 weeks. Write a detailed list of what the gun is doing.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I also use the Winchester Ranger ammo, in 147 grain...and my Service 9 is fine with it. The advice you got from mullanman is sound and good advice. I would have SA, take a look at your weapon.

Tom :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts