Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned an XD in the past and I hated it because the trigger was so bad. The reset was horrific and the trigger pull felt endless. Other than the trigger, the gun was decent.

That said, how good is the new trigger on the XD-M? I am thinking about trying another one out when the 9mm comes out. How good is the reset? Is a trigger job still necessary?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I started out shooting double action revolvers so the trigger on the XDm doesn't bother me at all. It has much less travel than something like a Smith & Wesson 19. So, I'll just report my somewhat rough measurements and let you decide. BTW, all measurements were taken at the midpoint of the trigger.

Takeup to the start of sear release is just about 0.20 inch at about 3.5 to 4 lbs. The total travel during the sear release is just about 0.06 inch and the break pressure is in the range of 6 lbs. Overtravel is about 0.02 inch. Reset is in the range of 0.21 inch from the maximum overtravel point. Total travel is 0.28 inch.

For me, that's not too bad. A double action revolver probably has at least 1/2 inch of trigger pull at something like 6 to 8 lbs. Which is why I mostly shot reolvers in single action where the release was so sensitive it could be a bit scary. At one point I got to shoot a Smith & Wesson with a "target" trigger job and it broke at about 1.75 lbs with only 1/32 inch of sear travel. Basically, if you even burped with your finger on that trigger it would go off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great info. Thanks for taking those measurements.

Do you (or anyone) know how it compares to a regular XD trigger? To me, the regular XD trigger it intolerable.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

Do you (or anyone) know how it compares to a regular XD trigger? To me, the regular XD trigger it intolerable.
But very easily fixed Powder River and Springer have drop in kits that make the XD a really enjoyable gun to shoot. As for the XD(M) it is better with less pre-travel and a shorter reset but nothing like and XD with one of the drop in kits.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts

I own 4 XD's and an XDm. Though certainly not "1911 like" for crispness I do not find them intolerable. The XDm had a somewhat shorter travel than the regular XD's do, but the pull weight was about the same. That said, I just sent to, and received back from Springfield my XDm which went in for an action job and a set of Dawson adjustable fiber optic sights. I limbered it up at the outdoor IPSC range today. They did a very nice job on it and I was able to shoot much nicer groups with some speed on the little cardboard guys we shoot at. The pull weight is much reduced, and takeup is now very short with a much cleaner break and little perceptable overtravel. The reset is, of course, also much better than the original, which was somewhat better than the regular XD's. All of this is not very scientific, but I know what I like, and the XDm was better except for pull weight out of the box than the other XD's I have. I think I will now be in the market for some of those trigger parts from Springer to do a few of the others as well. Ironically, the regular XD's can be made to feel even better than the factory touched up XDm because of the internal part that allows takedown without a trigger pull in the XDm. But right now, its the best feeling of the XD line that I personally own.

As an aside, I will be doing some extensive chronograph work with it in the near future to compare it with some earlier results I have from my service model, and will sandwich that in with some results for the compacts I have as well (the ones in 40S&W anyway... the 9mm Service Model I will leave 'til later). This will give me results with three of the four barrel lengths now available from Springfield in the XD pistol line. I do not own a 5" tactical model or I would do that too. I have about a half dozen different powders with 3 bullet weights to check out so I have to load quite a few rounds to make a viable test... Powders will include at least TiteGroup, Longshot, Unique, HS6, 3n37, and one more I havent deceided on yet, probably one of the Winchester powders (though Winchester no longer MAKES powder, they are mostly all made by Hodgdon now!). Bullets will most likely be Berry's in 155, 165, and 180grn (I favor the 180's because they make major while shooting a bit softer than the lighter bullets) but I have and will compare them with some Rainer's in similar weights, as well as some Zero hollowpoints in 180grn (those damn things are hard to come by!). I am mostly testing powders for consistency and accuracy, but at least the plated bullets from two manufacturers will be of interest as far as accuracy goes. Hey... it gives me an excuse to go to the range! In the past I have recieved the best accuracy from Unique, though it is dirtier and has a greater fluctuation in speed (standard deviation) than TiteGroup. How it can do that and still be very accurate is a mystery to me! We shall see. Longshot will be a new powder for me, but I am astounded by the relatively low pressures and yet higher velocities claimed for it in the reloading tables. It will be an interesting and pleasant experiment.

·
Registered
58 Posts
JustSomeGuy:

Thanks for the detailed observations on the differences between the stock XD, stock XDM and re-worked XDM triggers.

I'd been wondering if I should replace my XD9 with the new XDM9, but, based on your post - I think I'm going to get a Springer kit for the XD asap!

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts