Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased my first XD, a 45 Tactical Bitone. With a full magazine it is very dificult to release the mag. Is this normal or a break in thing?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I had the same problem with my XD45 Service when I bought it. If you push up on the mag while it's in the mag well, and press the release at the same time, it should come out easier. I just kept doing that over and over until it loosened up enough to where I didn't have to do that anymore.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
And it gets better with use.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Everything I've read says it's normal but I think having to "break in" anything on a new gun you just paid hundreds of dollars for is too much to ask. They should function their best when new and right out of the box. We shouldn't be expected to do things like this. Manufacturers need to get their acts together.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I had the same problem with my XD45 Service when I bought it. If you push up on the mag while it's in the mag well, and press the release at the same time, it should come out easier. I just kept doing that over and over until it loosened up enough to where I didn't have to do that anymore.
This problem should be true for most of the semi-auto pistols out there. superdude describe the best solution. All magazines regardless of the mgf will have the maximum spring force applied when full. By pushing up on the magazine when it is in the gun you are lifting pressure off the the mag release catch therefore allowing you to release the magazine easier. You are actually doing this by pushing the top magazine round against the top of your gun which also pushes the round a bit back into the magazine a very short distance.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Everything I've read says it's normal but I think having to "break in" anything on a new gun you just paid hundreds of dollars for is too much to ask. They should function their best when new and right out of the box. We shouldn't be expected to do things like this. Manufacturers need to get their acts together.
I'm not sure I entirely agree, but that's just me. I've purchased quite a few things that require a break-in period of sorts, and really haven't had an issue doing it. Think of it as 'something to look forward to' :mrgreen:.

But to the OP, as others have already stated, this does seem to be a fairly common thing with new magazines.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Then you are going to spend a lot of your life being disappointed. I thought I read somewhere that even a Les Baer pistol has to be broken in because of the tight tolerances. Would you say that their not worth it?

·
Registered
948 Posts
40k new car has breakin, i dissagree i have a new xddm9mm with a full mag and i have to slap it in good no truoble on release but this is normal.i think we all know xd or xdm is a combat gun not a custom or a race gun!:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts