Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4" service duty XD 45. I bought it used from a local gun dealer for what I believed to be a good deal. I have put probably 600 or so rounds through it. I can pull the slide easy enough but I mean its rough it's not smooth like I think it should be. It's a very stiff slide and anyone that shoots it says wow that's a hard slide pull. I was wondering what kind of internal upgrade would help with the slide pull.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I have the exact same gun. It is a pretty hard pull, much harder than the 9mm's, but mine isn't really rough.

When you got it, did you at the very least strip it, give it a very thorough cleaning, and oil it up?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the exact same gun. It is a pretty hard pull, much harder than the 9mm's, but mine isn't really rough.

When you got it, did you at the very least strip it, give it a very thorough cleaning, and oil it up?
Oh yea of course gave it a proper cleaning and oiling. I mean I know it's hard but I just want to make mine easier I guess. I was thinking of replacing some internals but didn't know which ones might help the slide pull.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Does hard slide pull reference Cop has happy time in Starbucks bathroom ?

·
Registered
10,949 Posts

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Oh yea of course gave it a proper cleaning and oiling. I mean I know it's hard but I just want to make mine easier I guess. I was thinking of replacing some internals but didn't know which ones might help the slide pull.
It's hard to diagnose over the web, but if it's excessively gritty or rough, something may be amiss. If it's just stiff, it is probably ok.

Oil it well and rack the slide a couple hundred times. Might slick it up.

When I got my 1894, it was very stiff and had been set in a case in an old mans closet for probably 30 years. I oiled the hell out of it and cycled the lever a couple thousand times. After cleaning it of course. I just did it the whole time a I watched a movie. I cleaned the oil off and oiled it like Normal and now it's a lot smoother.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
The xd45 recoil spring is heavy. You coud drop it down one wt, it will help, just stay away from +p ammo I you do. Fwiw, ditch the oil & go to a light synth gun grease on th slide rails instead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's hard to diagnose over the web, but if it's excessively gritty or rough, something may be amiss. If it's just stiff, it is probably ok.

When I got my 1894, it was very stiff and had been set in a case in an old mans closet for probably 30 years. I oiled the hell out of it and cycled the lever a couple thousand times. After cleaning it of course. I just did it the whole time a I watched a movie. I cleaned the oil off and oiled it like Normal and now it's a lot smoother.
I feel like it's not that it hasn't been worn yet or racked enough, but I will lather the girl up and keep racking her and see what happens. thanks for responding

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The xd45 recoil spring is heavy. You coud drop it down one wt, it will help, just stay away from +p ammo I you do. Fwiw, ditch the oil & go to a light synth gun grease on th slide rails instead.
Alright sounds like good advice thanks, but where can I get a recoil spring with reduced weight for the non tactical version. Pistol gear is the best place I have seen. They only have recoil springs for the stock replacement of them I don't see any reduced weight ones so if you know of a website that'd be awesome. Also as my carry ammo I use Hornady Critical Duty 220 Grain +p and I like this ammo Why should i not use +p if I want a lighter recoil spring, thanks for answering man.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Alright sounds like good advice thanks, but where can I get a recoil spring with reduced weight for the non tactical version. Pistol gear is the best place I have seen. They only have recoil springs for the stock replacement of them I don't see any reduced weight ones so if you know of a website that'd be awesome. Also as my carry ammo I use Hornady Critical Duty 220 Grain +p and I like this ammo Why should i not use +p if I want a lighter recoil spring, thanks for answering man.
I can't speak for the other guy, but I believe +p ammo with a reduced strength recoil spring will put undue stress and wear on the gun. The xd is rated for +p as it comes, but probably not with a weaker spring.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
It's not like it would break, but it would just wear more. Maybe like running the original [email protected] .357 magnum loads through an old k frame. After a while it takes its toll.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Well thanks man I did that oiled her up really well and just kept racking it. Even my buddy who shoots with me said it feels better. I am just surprised I had already put a lot of rounds through it. I even put like another 200 through her today. But I will even do that again and I think it will feel much better. The gun was from 2009 so I thought it should have been completely broken in but like I said thanks man it's cool people really help people and actually answer and respond.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Well thanks man I did that oiled her up really well and just kept racking it. Even my buddy who shoots with me said it feels better. I am just surprised I had already put a lot of rounds through it. I even put like another 200 through her today. But I will even do that again and I think it will feel much better. The gun was from 2009 so I thought it should have been completely broken in but like I said thanks man it's cool people really help people and actually answer and respond.
No problem man. Glad I could be of some help. Let us know how it turns out.
Remember to not oil in the striker channel. It can gunk it up and reduce the power of the firing pin, resulting in light strikes.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
The recoils spring serves two functions; returning the slide to battery & preventing the slide form blowing off the back of the frame. So reducing the spring rate & then running high pressure/recoiling rounds will slam the slide into the frame stops & eventually damage the frame &/or slide.
Try Wollf springs for reduced rate springs. I would only drop one weight if running factory ammo. Just remember to put the factory spring back in for +P. Note: you need to change springs every 6-8K rds, the springs wear out after awhile & the rate/wt will be quite a bit less than a new one.
While I don't think any of the poly frame guns need break in, all guns get smoother with use.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too am looking for a lighter recoil spring for a 4" service. Only for lighter target rounds though! The reason that you shouldn't fire +p with the less weighted spring is because the spring won't be strong/fast enough for the reload and pressures. The timing of the travel of the round from the mag to the chamber and then to ejecting the case will be off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Remove the slide, and the recoil spring, then put the slide back on and cycle it to see if you can feel any rough spots. Roughness may be hard to diagnose pulling against the recoil spring.

If no roughness is found, continue the lube and cycle routine without the spring. Then reassemble it with the spring and see if it helped. That may help prevent fatigue in your arm.;)

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Remove the slide, and the recoil spring, then put the slide back on and cycle it to see if you can feel any rough spots. Roughness may be hard to diagnose pulling against the recoil spring.

If no roughness is found, continue the lube and cycle routine without the spring. Then reassemble it with the spring and see if it helped. That may help prevent fatigue in your arm.;)
A good idea I did not think of, Joe.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Perhaps a 3 month session at the local fitness center, to build up your upper body strength, would be the better choice. Leave the spring alone, IMO. Don't forget to put some lube on the spring assembly too.....that too moves, just like the slide rubbing against the frame. ;)

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I took at self defense class over the weekend, and we got to talking about combat and tactical magazine changes. I believe technique is going to serve you better than changing springs.
Fine motor skills, conducted with one or two fingers, like pushing the slide release, or jacking the slide using your thumb and index finger to pull the slide, are not effective when adrenaline kicks in.
Gross motor skills, using the entire palm, is most effective. With the bottom of your palm, put pressure against the whole length of the slide while your fingers wrap over the top and squeeze the other side. Holding your hand and the slide in place and your arm tight against your body, push the frame forward against your stationary slide and release.
Also, not for the faint of heart, but if your other arm/hand is incapacitated, hold the edge of your rear sight against the lip of your holster or other stationary object and push down to jack the slide.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts