Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a good company to hard chrome my M&P? I looked up Tripp research and Robar and couldn't find the site for Tripp or the option of hard chrome for Robar. I have hated the melonite finish on my M&P for a while, as it has small surface rust spots. I have all black guns, and after seeing people's bi-tone XDs decided I want something different! It was between my glocks and my M&P and the glock tenifer is still nice.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Robar's hard chrome like finish is called NP3. I hear good things, but it isn't as tough as hard chrome. It does have it's benefits though. Here is some info from the Robar website.

How does NP3 compare to Hard Chrome?
Hard Chrome is very hard, typically 70-74 Rockwell C scale. NP3 is 48-51 Rockwell C scale. However, Hard Chrome plates unevenly and typically builds on radiuses. Hard Chrome also has an adhesion of 12 to 15 thousand psi and little corrosion resistance. NP3 plates very evenly, is extremely corrosion resistant and has an adhesion of 30-60,000 psi! This is one of the reasons we can give it a LIFETIME guarantee against peeling and flaking.

If you want to go with H.C., here are a few sites to check out. I have an XD45 that I had done by SA custom shop a few years ago and it still looks brand new. It doesn't get holstered much but it isn't a safe queen either.
Metaloy, Industries - Professional Gun Finishing - hard chrome, blue and polymer finish

Metalife

·
Registered
8,351 Posts

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, thank you. I may go with the NP3 then. Should I do the barrel as well, or just the slide? I really like the two tone look!

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
NP3 is very good. But hard chrome is tougher. Even hard chrome will make the gun run slicker without oil.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Do all your metal parts.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked out metaloy, but it only gives specific models and the M&P isn't one. I'll have to call and ask.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I know what im getting myself and my AK for my birthday

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Unfortunately Tripp Research no longer does hard chrome. Last I talked to Tripp's son they were going to sell the hard chrome part of the business to someone else. I haven't heard who yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts