Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two Kimber Custom II TLE's and I was thinking about getting the barrels hard chromed. My questions are: will this affect their amazing accuracy and does anybody have any good/not too expensive companies that do hard chroming? Thanks!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Rudy, any reason for wanting to hard chrome just the barrels? Most folks hard chrome the frame and slide but leave the barrel alone.

EV1L, Virgil would be a great source for information, but he got out of the refinishing business a few months ago.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Here's how I understand this,....
If you hard chrome the barrel only, the surface hardness of the barrel will be greater than the bushing. The barrel will, in turn, accelerate wear on the barrel bushing. If anything, hard chrome all, hard chrome the slide and barrel bushing, or hard chrome the slide and bushing and go with a new stainless barrel.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rudy, any reason for wanting to hard chrome just the barrels? Most folks hard chrome the frame and slide but leave the barrel alone.

EV1L, Virgil would be a great source for information, but he got out of the refinishing business a few months ago.
I wanted to preserve the life of the barrel and to prevent corrosion. The kimber barrels are not stainless steel (not even on my stainless tle). I figured that since the barrel is the componet that take the most stress of firing the gun, and it is the component most likely to rust; I fugured that I would chrome the barrels.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I wanted to preserve the life of the barrel and to prevent corrosion. The kimber barrels are not stainless steel (not even on my stainless tle). I figured that since the barrel is the componet that take the most stress of firing the gun, and it is the component most likely to rust; I fugured that I would chrome the barrels.
Good line of thought, but just stay on top of the maintenance and you will be fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Rudy, the stress of firing will not of itself induce corrosion in your barrels. The parts of a gun most likely to rust are those that come in contact with your hands. Perspiration is the main cause of corrosion on otherwise properly maintained firearms, and even stainless steel will rust under the right circumstances.

Hard chroming will deposit a very thin layer of chrome on all surfaces of the barrel, including the bore. This will change the dimension of the bore, even if only a minute amount. Are you willing to chance adversely affecting your gun's accuracy with this alteration?

Keep the barrel clean and lubed, and wipe down the outside surfaces of your gun when you're finished handling it, and you should be able to avoid corrosion problems.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank for the info guys! I guess I'll scrap the hard chroming plans.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I had Tripp Research hard chrome my Kimber Custom Target 2, when it came back it had 1 malfunction in the first magazine none in the 6,000+ rounds since. I don't believe that Tripp is still in the Hard Chrome business but I strongly recomend the finish.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts