Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the market for a Press for fathers day I wanted something I can mass produce rounds with instead of my single stage press... and low in behold a Buddy of mine I buy my pojectiles from had a friend selling a set up. 120.00 I was on my way out the door. only problem was I needed a shell disk for 9mm and 40 the other good thing is that it came with a 243 shell disk. So a quick order at midway since no other stores seemed to have the 2 and ordered my 243 dies also set of 3 for 25.99 all in all this set up cost me. 180.00 with Dies for the 243....

savings will be in my first set of 9mm 2000 rounds I should have this set up about paid for. using my rough figures.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
You sure the Pro 1000 will load .243 ammo? I believe you'll find that it won't. :shock:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've been using the Pro 1000 for about 8 months. It's a good unit and for the price it's pretty tough to top. I know that I will not be loading any rifle amo with it though. The auto charger(powder) isn't that consistant, and trying to dump 48 gr of say 4831 through a 6mm hole all at once will plug up then dump powder all over, which will plug the primer feed system which already has some isues of it's own. I use mine for .380,9mm, 38sp. and 45acp and it works good once you get the little tricks figured out to keep the primers feeding. Also, the charge disc chart that comes with the powder thrower seems to be about a 1/2 gr low, so make sure you get it set up using scales. Then have a light shining on the third stage so you can look into the case and see how much powder is in it and check the ones that don't look right on your scales.

As for the primer feed system. If the black feed ramp isn't full, you'll have problems. Gravity and the weight of the primers in the ramp are what force the next one into place. Also, if you use a rubber band to pull the feed ramp slightly to the right it will help that little bar that slides up and down the notched part ot the frame shake the primers into possition better.

There are some videos on youtube that can be helpful if you can stand to sit through them. Good luck

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Good luck w/ the LEE. IMO, they do not make a good progressive press. Yeah, it can be made to make ammo, but not w/o constant tinkering & the occasional proken plastic part. Not to rain on your FD parade, just know going into it, you are likely to have issues. Maybe crossroads can walk you thru setup & tweeking to get it to run well.
When I make recommendations for gear to students, the Lee is always on the bottom of the list & never for a progressive. I own & use some Lee gear, but just about any other manuf is making a better, more durable product. Their dies are ok, the CLassic Cast turret & SS press are ok. Not much else is worth the lw cost they sell it for IMO. COnsider that well made gear will outlive you, don't go cheap.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I've been running a Pro1000 for several years many thousands of rounds in pistol many pistol calibers. Nothing has broken as of yet and it doesn't require consistent tinkering. Once I set it up and adjusted it it has only required cleaning every so often when primer residue accumulates.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I've been running a Pro1000 for several years many thousands of rounds in pistol many pistol calibers. Nothing has broken as of yet and it doesn't require consistent tinkering. Once I set it up and adjusted it it has only required cleaning every so often when primer residue accumulates.
Really agalindo, you are an exception. Much like the veruy few guys that can get a 200grLSWC to run in an XD45. Possible, but not likely.;)
So I can't recommend the Lee progressive. I would rather save another $200 or so & get a LNL. Next thing you are gonna tell me is the Lee scale works great.:oops:

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Don't own a Lee scale. I've seen several people post that once they set the p1000 up it runs just fine. Maybe we're just part of the infinitesimal percentage of satisfied Lee P1000 owners.:)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I could never get mine to run right. One thing I did learn like others have said, is you need to keep in eye on the cases after they have come out of the powder die. I did not do that and ended up with about 25% squibs on a 100 round batch. I did not have the patients to stick with it. I was lucky to run across a guy who had 5 Dillon presses and I got an XL650 with case feeder for 400 bucks:shock: Some of the things I learned are below.

- Watch the powder charges

- Know the feeling when a primer is seating in a case and when no primer is fed. If you miss this step, you will fill the primer seating area and the
underside of the shell plate with powder depending on the powder.

- Never let the primer tray empty. Like others have said, it will stop feeding primers if you do.

- Keep a bottle of canned air next to the press to blow out the press when you miss seating a primer and need to clean out the powder from shell plate carrier.

The worst mistake you can make with any press is assume its doing whats its supposed to every time you pull the handle. I have had my ups and downs with the dillon as well, but, I have gotten more quality ammo out it than my Lee pro. I still use the Lee dies and a 4 hole turret press for my 308 loads, since I only load small numbers for that. I believe it when some say they can get them to run, but, I was never one of them. Good luck.:cool:

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Don't own a Lee scale. I've seen several people post that once they set the p1000 up it runs just fine. Maybe we're just part of the infinitesimal percentage of satisfied Lee P1000 owners.:)
I think the biggest problem w/ ALL Lee gear is QC. Some of the gear is well designed but manuf poorly. In the case of a progressive press, any small detail done wrong is going to compound the problems. Even simple things, like a bullet mold, they can't get that 75% correct. While all manuf throw lemons now & then, it seems Lee grows them as a matter of habit.;) If you can get yours to run, more power to you. I just can't recommend them.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I could never get mine to run right. One thing I did learn like others have said, is you need to keep in eye on the cases after they have come out of the powder die. I did not do that and ended up with about 25% squibs on a 100 round batch. I did not have the patients to stick with it. I was lucky to run across a guy who had 5 Dillon presses and I got an XL650 with case feeder for 400 bucks:shock: Some of the things I learned are below.

- Watch the powder charges

- Know the feeling when a primer is seating in a case and when no primer is fed. If you miss this step, you will fill the primer seating area and the
underside of the shell plate with powder depending on the powder.

- Never let the primer tray empty. Like others have said, it will stop feeding primers if you do.

- Keep a bottle of canned air next to the press to blow out the press when you miss seating a primer and need to clean out the powder from shell plate carrier.

The worst mistake you can make with any press is assume its doing whats its supposed to every time you pull the handle. I have had my ups and downs with the dillon as well, but, I have gotten more quality ammo out it than my Lee pro. I still use the Lee dies and a 4 hole turret press for my 308 loads, since I only load small numbers for that. I believe it when some say they can get them to run, but, I was never one of them. Good luck.:cool:

That's one thing I never had issues with. My son, when he was a reloading newbie had that issue but it was because he wasn't bringing the shell holder to the full up position. His dies weren't adjusted correctly. Sizer decapper, was way low and expander, powder charge was way high.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
If Lee stopped selling progressive presses, Valium sales would take a nosedive!:cool:

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
I have a Lee progressive and after some tweaking and practice, it does a fine job.

·
Registered
121 Posts
It may not be the best press on the market and for $120 nobody could expect it to be. It's the only progressive I've owned and it works for me as long as I do a few simpe things like after each case feed tube runs empty, I give the shell plate a shot of compressed air, I make sure the primer tray has primers in it, watch the case to make sure it has powder and use a consistent stroke of the handle.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I've loaded about 3000 rounds of 9mm in my Lee Pro 1000 over the last year. Once I got it set up, and gained an udnerstanding of how everything works, I haven't had an issue with it yet.

The only issues I have with it is I use range brass or various headstamps, and occasionally I try to seat a primer in a crimped pocket, and it crushes the primer or rams it in sideways. That is my fault a lot more than the press, though.

When I get some more money I plan on either investing in more pro1000's and keeping them set for single caliber and/or getting a Loadmaster.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
I've loaded about 3000 rounds of 9mm in my Lee Pro 1000 over the last year. Once I got it set up, and gained an udnerstanding of how everything works, I haven't had an issue with it yet.

The only issues I have with it is I use range brass or various headstamps, and occasionally I try to seat a primer in a crimped pocket, and it crushes the primer or rams it in sideways. That is my fault a lot more than the press, though.

When I get some more money I plan on either investing in more pro1000's and keeping them set for single caliber and/or getting a Loadmaster.
Suggest you stick with the Pro 1000, if you insist on sticking with Lee, as the Loadmaster is probably the worst progressive press ever manufactured.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I bought a loadmaster from a guy for 30.00 bucks a while back, I've only done 308 on it have not spent any time trying to figure out how to work it reliably. I don't like the way it primes on the down stroke. It does seem to be much more of a challenge to get it working right than the p1000.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Maybe while were at it we can argue Ford or Chevy!

I love my Lee!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts