Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm here to tell you that it can be done, and it can produce spectacular results.

That's a full, 5 shot group after 21 rounds down range. Measures 0.296" (0.283MOA) Components are LC '13 brass, 24.9gr RX-15 under a 69gr SMK, at 2.260" (mag limit). Shot with a heavy bbl carbine AR-15, adjustable gas block, Wilson Arms barrel, and a regular Joe shooter behind the stock.

This load was developed via ladder testing, then tuned by changing OAL from 2.300" to 2.210" in 0.010" increments. Odd thing to me is that the SMK responded best right at mag limit. I think there is one explanation to this: as many of you know, beyond 2.260", an AR becomes an auto-ejecting single shot. I hand fed the rounds from 2.300" to 2.270", then loaded the rounds in the magazine. As the shooter sets and resets his shooting position, it will change POI without a lot of practice behind the gun. At 2.260", I kept the same eye alignment, grip, and stance between all the shots. I believe I will be testing this - 5 rounds hand fed, and 5 rounds auto-loaded. I may see a change, I may not. Only time will tell.

Oh, and Knightslugger, if you read this... it's on baby. I'm gonna blow your Krieger out of the water.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Haha, I love it!

Now I may get one of those Wilson barrels for my poor AR15 with a crappy shooter behind the trigger. :D

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Jon stop it we all know you are a good shooter.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My wife saw me scroll through here looking at Nathan's comment... "Are you bragging AGAIN?"

Yes, sweetheart, I damn sure am. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Jon stop it we all know you are a good shooter.
I can hold my own with a pistol. But to be brutally honest I shoot like crap with rifles!

I'm going to work on that when I have some spare time, though. I want to be a good shot with my AR, but that hasn't been the case so far. Of course, all my shooting at 100 with it has been with my TRS-25 red dot and iron sights, with piss-poor bench technique. I'm going to shoot prone with a Nikon 3-12x M-223 and a rest to eliminate my lack of skills and verify the rifle can shoot. With that bit of confidence stored away, I can focus on fixing the loose nut behind the trigger.

Remember, folks: Shooting expert with an M16A2 or M4 doesn't mean you know how to shoot! ;)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Wow!! Outstanding! Glad you have found a load with the RL-15 that is really working for you. Love that powder.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Absolutely worthy of bragging IMHO! Tell your Mrs that we are duly impressed.
I'm impressed too. .3 MOA is pretty awesome. I honestly don't think I've ever shot a sub MOA 5 shot group. I've come close with my savage 111, 1.1 inches or so at a hundred yards with good ammo.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I can hold my own with a pistol. But to be brutally honest I shoot like crap with rifles!

I'm going to work on that when I have some spare time, though. I want to be a good shot with my AR, but that hasn't been the case so far. Of course, all my shooting at 100 with it has been with my TRS-25 red dot and iron sights, with piss-poor bench technique. I'm going to shoot prone with a Nikon 3-12x M-223 and a rest to eliminate my lack of skills and verify the rifle can shoot. With that bit of confidence stored away, I can focus on fixing the loose nut behind the trigger.

Remember, folks: Shooting expert with an M16A2 or M4 doesn't mean you know how to shoot! ;)
I'm the opposite. I'm a mediocre on a good day shot with a pistol.

I've always been rather good with rifles and shotguns. I grew up freehanding prairie dogs. Hunting helps too.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Very nice! Best I can do with my parts built, $700 20" hvy is 1/2 Moa, but I'm ok with that. Though I did get into the 0.3s with Varget & some 75gr max loaded ss.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Like Taylor was saying, any variation at all in your position behind the scope and things go wrong. The problem with most AR's is the generally poor cheek weld that most stocks afford. Obviously, Taylor has addressed this.

Good shooting Taylor.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Hmmm... Something changed in the forums, and now it says I'm a new member! (???). Sheesh... been around since mid 2005. Sigh... Seniority down the drain. Anyone know how to contact a moderator? This new fangled stuff doesn't seem to list a way to do that, at least that I can find.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Hmmm... Something changed in the forums, and now it says I'm a new member! (???). Sheesh... been around since mid 2005. Sigh... Seniority down the drain. Anyone know how to contact a moderator? This new fangled stuff doesn't seem to list a way to do that, at least that I can find.
There's a completely different thread for this request.

Official Troubleshoot Thread. | XDTalk Forums

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Well, I'm here to tell you that it can be done, and it can produce spectacular results.

That's a full, 5 shot group after 21 rounds down range. Measures 0.296" (0.283MOA) Components are LC '13 brass, 24.9gr RX-15 under a 69gr SMK, at 2.260" (mag limit). Shot with a heavy bbl carbine AR-15, adjustable gas block, Wilson Arms barrel, and a regular Joe shooter behind the stock.

This load was developed via ladder testing, then tuned by changing OAL from 2.300" to 2.210" in 0.010" increments. Odd thing to me is that the SMK responded best right at mag limit. I think there is one explanation to this: as many of you know, beyond 2.260", an AR becomes an auto-ejecting single shot. I hand fed the rounds from 2.300" to 2.270", then loaded the rounds in the magazine. As the shooter sets and resets his shooting position, it will change POI without a lot of practice behind the gun. At 2.260", I kept the same eye alignment, grip, and stance between all the shots. I believe I will be testing this - 5 rounds hand fed, and 5 rounds auto-loaded. I may see a change, I may not. Only time will tell.

Oh, and Knightslugger, if you read this... it's on baby. I'm gonna blow your Krieger out of the water.

That's what I'm talkin' about! Way to go taylor but you just increased my need factor for some RL15! BTW, with the 75 gr, Hornady Match w/c I load at 2.250" mainly because of cannelure orientation and with the 77 gr. MK's w/c at 2.255" so that with any OACL variation I know they won't exceed 2.26". Congrats! ;)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
There's a completely different thread for this request.

Official Troubleshoot Thread. | XDTalk Forums

Ok... Thanks for that. I looked for something but for some reason could find nothing at the time. I expected to find it under the "Help" tab, but there was nothing related there. If you are a moderator perhaps you could suggest that addition to the "Help" tab. I will.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts