Springfield XD Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I had much the same issue until I impulsively purchased an XD-S Mod 2 in 9mm with the factory supplied red dot.
I won't go into the quality of the Crimson Trace red dot although to date it's held it's own.
Long story short I ordered a Blade-Tech IWB holster for it. Made some small modifications (still modifying it) to it and that is now my EDC and has been for several months.
Very comfortable, easily hidden and quick access.
I will at some point upgrade the optics. I do have to admit out to 25 yards even with the lower end optics I'm impressed.

Just throwing that out there.
Does the mod 2 have a distinctive reset for the trigger?
If it doesn't, see if the PRP kit will fit the gun.
My wife has an original XDs and there was no way to tell when you hit the reset, I installed the PRP kit in the gun and its night and day different, well worth the money in my opinion.

I have zero experience with the gen 2 gun so I'm not sure if they have a kit for it, or if it even needs one.

PRP = Powder River Precision

·
Registered
I can't possibly list them.
19 Posts
Does the mod 2 have a distinctive reset for the trigger?
If it doesn't, see if the PRP kit will fit the gun.
My wife has an original XDs and there was no way to tell when you hit the reset, I installed the PRP kit in the gun and its night and day different, well worth the money in my opinion.

I have zero experience with the gen 2 gun so I'm not sure if they have a kit for it, or if it even needs one.

PRP = Powder River Precision
Yes it does. It's maybe an 1/8 of an in from release. (Guessing, I didn't measure)
It has a good crisp tactile feel so you know when when it's reset and ready to fire again. It can be heard as well but doubtful you would hear it while shooting.
I've really been nothing but impressed with it.
I prefer the smaller magazine for concealed carry. You drop a couple of rounds using that magazine but, it's much easier to conceal.

Some will have palms larger enough that the shorter magazine will not appeal to them. I have decent size palms and fingers (played guitar for 30 years) and it is still just large enough for a comfortable and more importantly a controllable grip.
Still pretty easily concealed with either. The shorter one does not imprint as much.
I think some of those issues were addressed in the Mod 2.
I honestly prefer it over the Hellcat. I like the optics of the Hellcat over the Crimson Trace optics. They have far better all metal and glass constructed optics but the CTS-1500 is all plastic. It has held zero for several months now without issue and can easily group 0 to 1/2 MOA groups at 25 yards. And there is the torture test. 25k rounds without a stoppage.
More importantly I just feels better in my hand.
I will at some point upgrade the optics. I'm still working through that decision. Springfield's new HEX Wasp is a possibility. I don't think I will purchase it from Springfield's website. They have the retail at $199.00. I've already found several places you can pre-order the Wasp for as little as $134.00. That a decent price for all metal and glass construction. Or I may decide on another optic.
I want to match the footprint so the iron sights do not have to be changed or even moved.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Sorry for the double post. I did that adding the photo if a 25 yard target.
Didn't see a way to delete it.
Its all good.

I run Trijicon RDS on my guns.

Glad to hear the gen 2 XDs has a better trigger, the stock one on the gen 1 was not good at all.

My wife likes it now that the trigger was fixed. Yours has a better grip texture also, the cheese grater grip on the original is horrible compared to the stippled grip on the gen 2.

Glad you like it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Its all good.

I run Trijicon RDS on my guns.

Glad to hear the gen 2 XDs has a better trigger, the stock one on the gen 1 was not good at all.

My wife likes it now that the trigger was fixed. Yours has a better grip texture also, the cheese grater grip on the original is horrible compared to the stippled grip on the gen 2.

Glad you like it.
Hopefully I have plenty of time to decide on replacement optics.
My hope is a direct fit. Same height and width so no other changes need to be made.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Hopefully I have plenty of time to decide on replacement optics.
My hope is a direct fit. Same height and width so no other changes need to be made.
Unfortunately Trijicon sights don't fit the small guns factory cuts, you have to have milling done.

To me its worth the extra effort to get an American made sight from an American company, but not everyone looks at life that way. This is one of the reasons why the foreign sights are so popular.
You can notice the difference in quality though once you use the sights for a while.

I started using RDS in 2015 on other peoples guns. I had my own built in 2016 as I was confident enough by then that it was good for me. I have several with RDS now.

Try using different sights (other people's guns) until you find what is right for you. Everyone's eyes are different so you might not be able to see/use the sight I like, and vice versa.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've used them on my rifles for years. This one is my fist on a handgun.
I'm hoping the Wasp turns out to be a contender. It should fit pretty easily. Time will tell.
For now I'm reasonably satisfied with the Crimson Trace. Unfortunately it will never hold up long term.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
SA's gotten significantly better with the trigger over the years.

I came into this community only a short 10 years ago and I can still remember unique examples of XDs and XDms feeling different to even me - who was at the time very inexperienced. Literally every singular example in the store's showroom had a distinct trigger path. :p :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
I'd forgotten about this wonderful blog entry until being reminded of it today from the Active Self Protection FB feed:

While the author isn't Tom Givens (for those who don't know that name, it's worth taking the few moments to dig that up on Google, to gain an understanding of why its carries so much weight in the civilian defensive-use-of-firearms community/context), but yet he really does an excellent job breaking down the "why's" of Givens' recommendations.

I think that the article also does well to demonstrate why, as I noted previously, technology/accessor(y/ies)-add-ons shouldn't be used to bolster or reinforce what are actually training/technique deficiencies.

Here, we see that in taking the time to actually find out what one's limitations and capabilities are in the specific contexts for which he will need to call upon them, it actually helps that shooter to be more confident - versus blindly (no pun intended...ok, maybe a little? 😬 :p ) seeking accessories and add-ons simply because of an imagined deficit or need.

Attend good training (like the Rangemasters Conference) with vetted, well-qualified instructors (like Tom Givens). Then take the lessons learned and apply them to the context of your own life (like the author, who replicated Givens' weapon setup and took that slide through his own areas of heightened daily risk).

41 - 51 of 51 Posts