Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finaly went out to try out some hand loads. I was shooting two loads both throwing a 180g rainier leadsafe HP. The first was 7.2grains of longshot and the second was 8.5. I had read that longshot worked very well with the .40 s&w and that 7.5 grains was a decent load. Well my experience was a little discouraging. My normal ammo is remington umc 180gr hollow points which I like a lot. Both of my hand loads were much snappier than the remington loads even though 7.2 grains of longshot throws stones at just about the same speed (both around 1100fps). I also had poor accuracy I was shooting slow fire at 10 yards and was hitting like I was shooting at 25 yards. The big issue I had was heat. after 10 rounds of the 8.5grain loads I experienced a jam, I grabbed the front slide serations to do a quick inspection and to try and chamber the round (gun was still pointed down range) and I burned my hand pretty good. I have shot a 100 round box of the remington umc in about 5 min and the gun never got anywhere near that hot. I intend to try again with a lower load I'm thinking in the 6.5 range but i would like to hear what others have to say about the heat issue and what they experienced with longshot powder.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Finaly went out to try out some hand loads. I was shooting two loads both throwing a 180g rainier leadsafe HP. The first was 7.2grains of longshot and the second was 8.5. I had read that longshot worked very well with the .40 s&w and that 7.5 grains was a decent load. Well my experience was a little discouraging. My normal ammo is remington umc 180gr hollow points which I like a lot. Both of my hand loads were much snappier than the remington loads even though 7.2 grains of longshot throws stones at just about the same speed (both around 1100fps). I also had poor accuracy I was shooting slow fire at 10 yards and was hitting like I was shooting at 25 yards. The big issue I had was heat. after 10 rounds of the 8.5grain loads I experienced a jam, I grabbed the front slide serations to do a quick inspection and to try and chamber the round (gun was still pointed down range) and I burned my hand pretty good. I have shot a 100 round box of the remington umc in about 5 min and the gun never got anywhere near that hot. I intend to try again with a lower load I'm thinking in the 6.5 range but i would like to hear what others have to say about the heat issue and what they experienced with longshot powder.

Thanks guys
According to hodgdon 6.5 gr of long shot is the starting load with an over all length of 1.125, what is your length?

Heat will be generated no matter what powder you use.

don

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
That data if for Jacked HP you should be using lead bullet data.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am useing jacket hollowpoints they are lead safe meaning instead of being wrapped in a copper jacket they are dipped in a bimetal compound so no led is exsposed. I know the load data my issue is that 10 rounds slow fire starting with a cold gun should not heat the slide to the point where it leaves burns on you. I was looking for others who have used this powder to see what there experiences were. My length is 1.07 on the 7.2 grain loads and 1.12 on the 8.5. I bought longshot based on a post I belive I read here on it's use with the .40S&W. Befor that I was useing blue dot which I wasn't particularly happy with. It's performance though concistant was lack luster. The only other powder I have used is unique but then thats the "will work with any load" powder or atleast thats my experience.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
What kinda primers were you using? I just help when my buddy reloads. We use Unique all the time on my .40 Montana Gold 155 gr. Works like a charm.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I am useing jacket hollowpoints they are lead safe meaning instead of being wrapped in a copper jacket they are dipped in a bimetal compound so no led is exsposed. I know the load data my issue is that 10 rounds slow fire starting with a cold gun should not heat the slide to the point where it leaves burns on you. I was looking for others who have used this powder to see what there experiences were. My length is 1.07 on the 7.2 grain loads and 1.12 on the 8.5. I bought longshot based on a post I belive I read here on it's use with the .40S&W. Befor that I was useing blue dot which I wasn't particularly happy with. It's performance though concistant was lack luster. The only other powder I have used is unique but then thats the "will work with any load" powder or a tleast thats my experience.

Rainer bullet are copper plated not jacketed. For Rainier and Berry's you use lead data.

http://www.rainierballistics.com/loaddata.htm

From the Rainier website:
We, at Rainier Ballistics, recommend using lead bullet load data when loading our bullets. There is no need for adjustment when using lead bullet load data. Our bullets are jacketed using an electroplating process and are softer than traditionally jacketed bullets; hence the recommendation to use lead bullet load data. If you only have access to traditionally jacketed load data, we recommend reducing maximum charge by 10%. A roll or taper crimp may be used with our bullets; do not over crimp.

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
Absolutely lead data for Berrys, Ranier and PowerBond.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks agalindo and jimdanos that was something I did not know, that you needed to use lead data when using coated over jacketed. You wouldn;t happen to be able to tell me the min and max loads would you? I have been having one hell of a hard time finding any data for longshot powder anywhere relyable.

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts