Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my license for a few months, but want to finally buy something that is a mobile/base which can do HF, VHF/UHF.

I've spent a lot of time trying to research them and from what I've read I found a few models I like. The problem now is I can't seem to locate a place to purchase them online. They may be older and have been replaced, but I was looking at the Yaesu 857, Yaesu 897 and the Icom 706 or 708. The Wouxun seem to have people excited as of late too, but I couldn't determine which would be the most comparable to the Yaesu or Icom.

The LDG Tuner and the G5RV antenna from what I've read have good reviews.

So, are these durable models? Is there a good site to buy them on?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've had my license for a few months, but want to finally buy something that is a mobile/base which can do HF, VHF/UHF.

I've spent a lot of time trying to research them and from what I've read I found a few models I like. The problem now is I can't seem to locate a place to purchase them online. They may be older and have been replaced, but I was looking at the Yaesu 857, Yaesu 897 and the Icom 706 or 708. The Wouxun seem to have people excited as of late too, but I couldn't determine which would be the most comparable to the Yaesu or Icom.

The LDG Tuner and the G5RV antenna from what I've read have good reviews.

So, are these durable models? Is there a good site to buy them on?
I have an IC-706mkiig with the LDG auto tuner and a G5RV as my home set up and I love it.

Sure, the receiver in the 706 is wide enough to let michelle obama's fat butt pass through a few times but it's not a contesting rig, but it's very practical and cheap.

From everything i've heard, Wouxuns are decent radios but very very cheaply manufactured and cheaply engineered thus, you can expect a break down. In the end, you get what you pay for, including the name.

I've worked all 50 states (WAS confirmed) , and around 85 countries (only 40 confirmed :( ) with the 706, ldg tuner and g5rv.

I'm really quite sad that Icom discontinued it, it's a superior rig to the Yaesu, IMHO.

I'd encourage you to cruise the forums at QRZ.com - they may have some for sale over there used...

best of luck :)

·
Registered
472 Posts
also, if you pick up a 706, get the USB control cable for it off of eBay for $10 - with a free download of HamRadioDeluxe you have a $10 computer control setup to aide you with programming the rig without the nightmare of menus :D

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've purchased from gigaparts multiple times and never had a bad experience.

:)

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Make sure you also look at the Yaesu 897D

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AZXD, do you happen to know the differences between the 857 and 897? I'm still learning so I wasn't able to tell from the information I found. It did seem the 897 would be easier to use because the controls looked larger in the pictures. The only down side to that would be if it's heavier and I threw it in a pack.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
AZXD, do you happen to know the differences between the 857 and 897? I'm still learning so I wasn't able to tell from the information I found. It did seem the 897 would be easier to use because the controls looked larger in the pictures. The only down side to that would be if it's heavier and I threw it in a pack.
The 897 is bigger, it's controls are easier to use because of this, and yes it is heavier, because it has more metal in it, and has room for internal batteries.

Internally, they are the same radio.

The 857 is the better unit for a mobile installation, and the 897 is better for a small base, or portable installation, and it can be used in a vehicle ... I understand the same remote faceplate (option) can be used with the 897, but haven't verified this.

If you have problems with lots of small buttons get the 897.

If you want to throw it in a pack, you'll need a power source for either, and while the 897 has the convenience of internal batteries, they do cost more than an external battery for the 857.
However, the output of the 897 is cut back when running off the internal batteries.

Pro's and Con's to each, and a tough choice ... I've been looking at both for over 2 years, and still can't decide.
They're both good radios, but they're also a low priority item, for me ... Still.

Also the 897 comes with factory installed TCXO-9, which is an option on the 857.

Check this site out for user reviews of radios that cover the same frequencies - eHam.net Reviews - Transceivers: HF Amateur (including HF+6M+VHF models)

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, if that TCX09 comes factory installed in the 897 it almost makes up the cost difference. Thanks for explaining the differences.

Being that this will be my first HAM I'm not sure I could go wrong with either. I'll feel better knowing I can communicate with the outside world should there be a disaster. I'm also happy knowing I have it down to 2 or 3 radios. I've been bashing my head against the wall for a while trying to figure it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts