Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put together an article on a sighting device I came up with due to problems I was having using a video camera. I don't know if the sighting device is new, but it works.

Here's a multi-pic that sort of explains it.

Here's a link to the article: AIMED Point Shooting or P&S

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I don't get it

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
I don't get it
Me either.
The OP has created a "sight" consisting of a cylinder of luminous plastic "woven" material. When you can't see the "walls" of the cylinder, and only see the annular ring, you are sighted on target. I can see where the concept would be helpful for shooters with poor or compromised eyesight, especially in dark situations. The large diameter of the sight's cylinder would probably make sighting target pretty fast. This kind of device is not going to win any awards for precision shooting, but for home self-defense would probably work fine.

I don't know that I would use this device myself. Possibly if my eyesight ever gets very bad.

ETA: I doubt that sight attachment via adhesive is going to last very long, especially shooting a semi-auto. Mechanical attachment would be the way to go.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Looks like a hair curler.
My thoughts exactly.

And for long range daylight shooting you can attach a paper towel roll. :)

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Guy named fivesht or fiveshot or something similar spams OFCC with his gizmo's. His threads get deleted..

·
Registered
8,566 Posts

·
Premium Member
127,275 Posts
Bizarro!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I prefer my XS 24/7 Big Dot tritium sights for aging eyes. But of course, I can't style anyones hair with the Big Dot sights ;)

I was wondering why a newbie would post something like this, SCAMMER

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bizarro :)

I think that's what they said about adding those little bumps at the front and back of dueling pistols in the early 1800's.

Believe using sights was not looked on as being fair and square in the days of dueling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I prefer my XS 24/7 Big Dot tritium sights for aging eyes. But of course, I can't style anyones hair with the Big Dot sights ;)

I was wondering why a newbie would post something like this, SCAMMER

Because it works, and some folks may find it useful.

It makes accurate placement of the bore on a target easier and faster than is the case with the sights.

And then what does one do when the sights and target are the same color, like black???

I don't believe that the sights can be used in real CQ life threat situation, and that's probably the case with the Halo device and your fancy Tritium whatever it is, but it can help a person learn how to shoot accurately at CQ without being dependant on using the sights.

If you look at the pic showing the halo, you will note that the sights are just about in alignment which should put the shooter in the black at CQ.

That's good for beginners and average home defender types.

Quick and easy, and plain and simple.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just checked on Google,

Does your Tritium sight tell you which way you're off target when you're not on the target, and by how much?

When I was a radio operator in the olden days, 2 bring you onto the strongest signal from a station, you turned the dial right or left until the interference was down to its lowest volume or zero.

You can sort of do that with the hair curler, as the portion of the wall you can see when you are not inline with the traget, will tell "you" (your eyes and brain) which way to adjust the gun to bring the circle (halo), into view.

Haven't used a Tritium device, and would like to try one sometime.

·
Registered
29,621 Posts
Sorry, this is the most recockulous thing I've seen in a while.

And if you don't think sights would be used in a "CQ" situation...you'd be much better served learning to point shoot than gluing a hair curler to your pistol; once you get to know what you're doing, you know if the pistol is aligned or not without having to look at the sights.

And, yes--my 3-dot tritium sights also indicate if the shot is off, simply by the placement of the dots when the shot breaks. If they are level, with equal space between them, it's on target.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I wander why the top world shooters never figured out that putting a hair curler on their guns would make them better shooters....lol

If you practice with your pistol then you will get muscle memory and anything within 7 yards can be point shot for the most part. With practice you see the front sight on target as you press the trigger. if you practice, then you will find your rear site is naturally going to line up when you see the front sight on target. Its called a "flash sight picture".

If your not practicing and you choose to carry a weapon, then you probably should not be carrying a weapon.

D

·
0 Posts
I understand the concept, and while not completely ludicrous, is not quite solving a problem that hasn't been solved before. If you're willing to carry around such a large sight on your pistol (or maybe just keep it in the house/place of business), I would think of the red dot sights could work for you just as well.

Ultimately, though, with enough practice, you kind of will just get a rough picture of what the gun looks like when aligned (even with no sights). I don't know if there's a cool technical term for this, but I've noticed it. It doesn't really happen consciously. What I described isn't something you "try" to do in the same way that you would consciously try to line up sights for precision sighted target shooting.

Plus, you wouldn't have to worry about not having the ring perfect like you may have to with this.

Kudos for applying your noggin to your problem, though.

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Is that a Glock? Where is the trigger safety and what's with the bracket on the right hand side?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree, but if using it allows you to get a correct sight picture and correct sight placement on your target quicker, than when using the sights, seems like it would be an improvement if you use the sights when shooting at close quarters.

As to why this posting as a first one. Why not, since I just came up with the idea as a solution for aiming a video camera in bright light when you can't see the LCD.

It works slick on the camera, and that led to trying it on a pistol.

The picture that shows the halo and with the sights just about in correct alignment, shows that it applicable to handgun use. With the halo, you no longer have to use the sights to shoot accurately at close quarters. But, they can be used given time, good lighting, etc....

Basically, it works and it's free.

The only caution is that like the sights, it may not be able to be used in a life threat situation due to the activation of our fight or flight response. However, it can build your ability to shoot accurately without dependence on the sights, and as such put you on the road to being able to effectively use one form or another of threat focus shooting, which I do.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts