Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few minutes ago after field stripping my 3 month old xd9, I have found a total of 4 hairline cracks running down the handle of my xd. There are 2 on each side, the left side cracks are consistant with the right side cracks. At this point I am not able to 100% confirm that these ARE cracks, but it seems too much of a coincidence that the "scratches" are the same shape on both sides on the same part of the gun.

If it makes any difference, there have been about 1000-1300 rds shot through this firearm. i've used 1000 WWB for sure, and 150 PMC
I do not holster or carry this firearm.
When I am not at the range with it, it is stored in a safe with foam padding.
When the firearm is being transported, it is carried in a foam case.

I already e mailed springfield, hopefully they will replace the frame.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an xd-40 two months olds with 300 rounds thru it. I just examined it and found the exact same cracks in the exact same places as your photos. I think I will call SA and ask about this. They sure look like cracks, but they stop just under the name stamp. I am going to go back to the store where I bought mine and see if a new one has these marks.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
When the HS2000 was first presented to the US for import, it did not have the "thumb rests", they were added so it could be imported. Those are marks from the mold where they added the rests. I have them on my HS2000s, but they are more clearly mold lines since the surface is less textured on these early models. I can see the full perimeter of the mold insert shape on both sides. No worries and go shoot it. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree. I just went to my local gun store and looked at three new ones, one xd-9 and two xd-40s'. They all have the same lines in the same places. Makes me feel better. I did call SA earlier and they where not aware of any cracking problems but gave me a return number along with their Fedex shippers number for free shipping. I will call them back and cancel. They have great customer service.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Both my Subcompact that I just sold and my Tactical have the same mold lines, it's just the way they come from the factory.

By the way it's called a frame not a handle and the area in question is called the grip.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It looks like where the die was modified to add the thumb rests.

If you want to check, clean and dry the gun and then put some kind of solvent on the area in question. (Make sure it is polymer safe), then towel it dry and see if any continues to leak out of the "cracks" after the surface is dry.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Wow, I need to pay more attention to my guns. I never noticed these marks until it was brought up. Oh well, I'm gonna keep on shooting. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Henry 47,
These lines you see are known as parting lines in the plastic injection mold buisness. This is where two pieces of the plastic injection mold meet. They are not cracks in the frame.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts