Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shooting the XD40 Tactical at a USPSA match, I had some issues with failures to feed. I had three malfunctions across eight stages of the match; didn't help my time any.

I had one of the dreaded three-point jams so common to these guns. The others I can't recall exactly.

I think the problem may be that I'm running a #24 spring in this gun, and it's overrunning the mag spring. I am going to switch back to the stock spring and see how it goes.

·
Registered
249 Posts
That does seem like a lot of spring. I'm running a 9mm Tactical in production with a 16# spring and it is flawless. You might want to try that.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I ran a 22# spring for a while and had some FTF issues. Since I've switch back to the 18# stock I've had zero problems. I've heard of folks going to a 16# spring to speed up the action but haven't tried it yet with major PF ammo.

I also polished the feed ramp a little with some 600 & 800 grit wet sandpaper wrapped around an empty case. Don't take offense if this is obvious to you but make sure if you polish the feed ramp that you only polish up/down not side to side.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I run A 15lber in my .40 tac with major PF loads with no problems at all. I did try an 11lb one day and as long as the gun was just being shot is was fine. Upon a reload when I slammed the mag in the slide would come out of battery every time, so back to the 15lb spring.[/img]

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only problem I've seen with the lighter spring is that sometimes the slide won't fully return to battery.

I may have to bevel the throat on this barrel like I did with my other Tactical, though this one never really gave me as many problems as that one did.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had a ton of problems with my handloads in my .40 with a 155 grn swc bullet. i decreased the OAL a bit and it got worse so i increased it and not one problem in the last 1500 rounds. i also shoot a 22lb spring and i love it. other than that i have never had a FTF

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
Ken I have to go up to Memphis to shoot with you we have booth been on this board a long time and you so close. The Tengu is up where your at as well I think. Your not a member of that nice range the Springfield Shoot was held at are you?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ajamesp51 said:
Ken I have to go up to Memphis to shoot with you we have booth been on this board a long time and you so close. The Tengu is up where your at as well I think. Your not a member of that nice range the Springfield Shoot was held at are you?
Why yes, yes I am. So is "crushert."

We should have a Memphis area XDTalk get together.

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
I thought for sure I had the pistol at the memphis match. A memphis get together would be nice, lets us southerners show those northerners and texans how to do it:)

·
Registered
277 Posts
I use a 13lb. spring in my tactical 9mm, and it feels smooth! And never had any more problems.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ajamesp51 said:
I thought for sure I had the pistol at the memphis match. A memphis get together would be nice, lets us southerners show those northerners and texans how to do it:)
I know what you mean. I thought I did OK at the match, had a couple of good stages. It floored me to realize I'd won. Got a $500 gift certficate toward the MSRP (heh) of any Springfield product. I chose the Tactical XD40 and still had to pay extra $$ to get it.

We really should've had a little gathering during that weekend. But I am good to go any weekend you feel like coming up. They have IPSC and IDPA matches on that range the 1st and 3rd weekends of the month. Rest of the time it's free.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I run a 24# spring in my XD357 adn my XD40 and have never had so much as a hiccup. I swap back and forth between them for IDPA matches... I use the 16# in my XD40 Tactical (IPSC / USPSA) and have never had a FTF or FTE with it either...

Am I experiencing something out of the ordinary? The Tactical only has about 1200 round through it, but the XD357 has over 7000 andthe XD40 has well over 10K.... hmmm..

·
Registered
452 Posts
Sir_William said:
Am I experiencing something out of the ordinary? The Tactical only has about 1200 round through it, but the XD357 has over 7000 andthe XD40 has well over 10K.... hmmm..
I don't think so, lots of us have experienced different things. Something that works/didn't work for one person may not be the same for someone else. I say just go with what works. It's just the rust thing; why can I do nothing but shoot my XD at the range and matches for weeks and not wipe it down with no consiquenses. Then other folk's blasters are rusting after sitting the garage for a couple of hours???

I am not starting another rust debate, just drawing a comparison. :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts