Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I took my XD45c to the range for the 2nd time since I bought it 3 weeks ago (I think it's been 3 weeks). The first time I fed it 100 rounds of WWB and it was like a hot knife through butter. Then today, about a week and a half from my last visit, I went to the range to again feed its hungry little face another 100 rounds... and again WWB (both boxes bought on the same day from Academy Sports 100/ct)

Well the first mag, the 10 rounder, cycled flawlessly; I then locked in the 13 round mag and fed 8...bang! ....9...bang! .... 10...CLICK! I was like "Oh Sh1t!," but with many more exclamation marks. Well I release the mag and count to 10, with the barrel facing down range, then tried to release the round by pulling the slid back..... it was LOCKED!

So I lay down my XD, with the barrel facing down range, and went to the front to get the smith. He tried to get the slide unlocked by putting the corner tip of the slide on the edge of a piece of wood then press downwards... NOTHING... He tried for about 3 or 4 min as well as I and still nothing. So... I go up front and call SA but unfortunately it was past 3pm and all the techs were gone, however, the rep took my # and said that she would have a tech call tomorrow and that they would send me a mailing label, but due to the current status of the gun, with a live round in it, I would not be able to ship.

Anywho... one of the other techs over heard me and the other tech (the one who first tired to help me) talking and he offered to help. He grabbed a soft mallot and we went back out to the range and he place the tip of the slide on the edge of the piece of wood, that the other tech and I used, and proceeded to tap on the back of the gun.

Well the slide released and the round fell out.

We examined the round and it had a buckle all the way around circumference of the casing; something like what you would see on a 55/gal drum (see below). What's more, the primer had fallen off. The primer was struck by the firing pin, and the tech asked if I heard a slight pop, but I heard nothing but a click. And to insult to injury, lol... my XD smelled like it had farted, lol...

I wish I had the round to show you guys, but they would not let me take it out of the range - I guess do to liability.

So any thought?

Oh.... and I bet you thought this was going to be a XD bashing

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a bad round... hopefully your XD wasnt damaged though.
Sorry, I did fail to mention that I did finish off the box off 100 without further incident, but none the less, I think I will be sending my XD back to SA for a check up.

Have any pics of the round?

I suspect a bad round to

There has been 3 or 4 threads lately on WWB with bad casings and primers

No, I didn't have my cell with me because I wanted a break from everything... NO CALLS!!! lol... but of course when I needed a camera, I didn't
have one.. Typical :rolleyes:

I read the thread of the ripped cartridge, but I think it was a Remington.

I was thinking of calling Winchester to let them know of the situation, but I'm not sure it will help without having said round.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I switched over from WWB to S&B for my 115gr FMJ plinking needs. IMHO, the S&B shoots more reliably, feeds and cycles the gun just as well as the WWB...

And it's comparably priced. I think I bought my case of 2000 for the $0.20/rnd price point... Not a bad way to drop $400, if you ask me.

I've gone through a few hundred of the batch, haven't had a single issue. And because it comes standard with sealed primers, I'm not much worried about storing it either. :)

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I switched over from WWB to S&B for my 115gr FMJ plinking needs. IMHO, the S&B shoots more reliably, feeds and cycles the gun just as well as the WWB...

And it's comparably priced. I think I bought my case of 2000 for the $0.20/rnd price point... Not a bad way to drop $400, if you ask me.

I've gone through a few hundred of the batch, haven't had a single issue. And because it comes standard with sealed primers, I'm not much worried about storing it either. :)

I can't find anything, on line or brick & mortar, that comes close to .20/per rnd. The WWB were $32/100ct and Wal-Fart said they should be getting in some Fed $30/100ct by next Tues.... they think :rolleyes:

I even looked into sites that offer reloads and they were .35+/ea :shock:

Where are you finding cans of ammo @ .20/per rnd?

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, and 9mm is what he found for .20/rd.

Academy has WWB on sale right now to prices lower than Wal-Mart ($19.99 for 100rd 9mm, $29.99 for 100rd .45). I stocked up last weekend, just because.

Yeah, that's where I got these WWB from, but I guess 1 screw up out of 200 is not bad.

What state are you in? The last time I picked up the WWB/100ct they were $32/ea, that's in JAX FL.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Alabama. As I said, they were on sale with the little blue tags and the downward pointing arrow. I'm planning to run by and pick up some more today if they're still that price.

Guess I need to get into reloading...

·
Premium Member
127,407 Posts
I had one bad WWB round out of the tens of thousands I have fired. With sufficent documentation Winchester sent me 500 rounds free for my trouble.

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alabama. As I said, they were on sale with the little blue tags and the downward pointing arrow. I'm planning to run by and pick up some more today if they're still that price.

Guess I need to get into reloading...

Well I just hung up with my local Academy Sports and they are still $32; they did say that they had a sale last Sunday so that may have been it for me. Well thanks for the info none the less!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
@TerminalVelocity:

Try bulkammo.com -- they have some decent sales, and their price-per-round is usually pretty competitive. I ordered my S&B 9mm from them, bought a few cases on the idea that ammo prices and gas prices are fluid at best.

OTOH, I got my .223 from the-armory.com -- found some decent full brass 62gr rounds on sale for just under the $0.30/round price point, bought a few cases of that too.

Long story short, between the two of those suppliers, I blew Mr. Tax Refund clean away... but it was worth it to have ammo at that price-point for another two years anyway. :)

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts