Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was shooting my Stag Model 2 at the NRA Range yesterday with a friend and while shooting (offhand at 50 yds) I could tell it didn't cycle correctly, and I look and see a round attempting to be fed into the chamber but is blocked by a stuck case! I tried pulling the casing out with a pair of pliers on my Leatherman, but couldn't get it. Had to get one of the ROs to give me a rod and I pushed the case out while he held the rifle.

The ammo was Independence 5.56mm 55gr FMJ and I've shot several hundred rounds of it before with no problems at all. We'd put almost 120 rounds through the gun by the time this happened. BCG was also properly cleaned and lubed up beforehand as well. Afterward I had no other problems running 3 more mags of it through. The mag used when it jammed was a Brownells USGI aluminum w/Magpul follower. This is the first malfunction I've had with this rifle in the 1,111 rounds I've shot since I bought it a year ago (I keep records on a notebook of all rounds I shoot so I can ID problems).

I took the gun home, broke it down for cleaning, and examined the extractor closely (suggestion from the RO) and it didn't appear to be burred, or worn or damaged in any way. I've only ever shot brass ammo in this gun, no Wolf or steel. I did note that this ammo seemed dirtier than usual Also had a lot of brass deposit on the bolt face and inside the bolt as well, more than I've ever noticed before.

Not sure what the issue was exactly. Any theories? It is the first jam, and I know every gun can jam (I've shot Glocks and AKs that have malfunctioned on me too) so I don't want to blow this out of proportion, but this is somewhat concerning to me since this rifle would be my go-to SHTF long arm (like some guys are having to do in Missouri right now to protect their shops!) and a jam like the one I had would be the kind to get you killed, so I want to figure it out.

I think for now I'm gonna monitor it, shoot it some more and see what happens. But any theories or suggestions are welcome.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Get a 5 coil extractor spring and o ring it helps a lot like $8

OK lock bolt to rear remove mag pull out second case rack 2 times if bolt sticks mortar it.

Now you know.

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
could have been an out of spec case.
This is what I'm thinking. Maybe a hair to short for the extractor to seat properly around the case head. So instead of clipping over the rim of the case it hammered it down.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
could have been an out of spec case.
This is what I'm thinking. Maybe a hair to short for the extractor to seat properly around the case head. So instead of clipping over the rim of the case it hammered it down.
That was actually one of my first thoughts, either just off in the rim area, or a hair too thick so got stuck once it expanded...and again it was the only round I had problems with. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get a 5 coil extractor spring and o ring it helps a lot like $8

OK lock bolt to rear remove mag pull out second case rack 2 times if bolt sticks mortar it.

Now you know.

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.
If I have continued problems, I may upgrade those components.

I actually did the procedure you described to try to clear it first, but no luck so had to use the rod.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
If I have continued problems, I may upgrade those components.

I actually did the procedure you described to try to clear it first, but no luck so had to use the rod.
So it failed to grasp rim when dropping bolt on case or it slipped off rim pulling bolt?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So it failed to grasp rim when dropping bolt on case or it slipped off rim pulling bolt?

I actually re-read your original comment and realized I didn't do what you described. I did a "tap, rack" out of instinct first which of course didn't clear it, but that's not the same as what you were describing. So I'm not sure which of those two things it may have done.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
I actually re-read your original comment and realized I didn't do what you described. I did a "tap, rack" out of instinct first which of course didn't clear it, but that's not the same as what you were describing. So I'm not sure which of those two things it may have done.
If it failed to grasp either out of spec rim chamber or extractor.

If it slipped off (what I assumed) those $8 would fix it.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it failed to grasp either out of spec rim chamber or extractor.

If it slipped off (what I assumed) those $8 would fix it.

That's helpful, thanks! If it happens again ill spend that $8.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Was the primer still in the case?

The only time I've had this happen on one of my ARs the primer blew out, too, and stuck the bolt/carrier part of the way back but good. Had to remove the buttstock so I could remove the upper from the lower and then pound the bolt/carrier back through the barrel with a rod. The primer fell out part of the way back.

If the primer was still in that case, how did it look? Were their ejector marks on the base/rim? Either one could be a sign of a high pressure round.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Do you have the case you had to knock out? Any chance to see pictures?

Wouldn't be unheard of to have a round with something "off" about the extractor groove.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Was the primer still in the case?

The only time I've had this happen on one of my ARs the primer blew out, too, and stuck the bolt/carrier part of the way back but good. Had to remove the buttstock so I could remove the upper from the lower and then pound the bolt/carrier back through the barrel with a rod. The primer fell out part of the way back.

If the primer was still in that case, how did it look? Were their ejector marks on the base/rim? Either one could be a sign of a high pressure round.

Do you have the case you had to knock out? Any chance to see pictures?

Wouldn't be unheard of to have a round with something "off" about the extractor groove.
The primer stayed in the round (the tip of the next round was jammed up against it). I don't have the case, it fell into a pile of empties when I rammed it out of the gun, so I don't have pics to show either.

Something off or out of spec with the case rim was my first instinct, and I'm thinking more and more that may be the culprit, given that I had no other malfunctions with the same ammo.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I take it you don't reload? That case would have been very handy to scrutinize.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I take it you don't reload? That case would have been very handy to scrutinize.
You are correct, I do not reload. I live in a small apt and don't have the space to set up a loading system, nor the time to actually do it. One day I may get into it but right now it just isn't feasible for me.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
One if the take away's is that the range master had a a rod, why?! It has happened before (to myself) and it will happen again. Frustrating, yes, for a myriad of explanations.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I live in a small apartment (550sf) and I still reload ;)
LOL well my place is bigger in terms of sq ft than that, but I don't exactly live alone. I have 3 roommates and I'm not sure they'd want me to turn the dining room table into a reloading bench :p Don't get me wrong, they have no issues with me having guns at all, but the dining room would be the only place I could set it up (my bedroom is taken up by my gun safe, ammo storage and other gear in addition to bed, bookshelf, dresser etc) and I think they'd prefer it not be dedicated to that purpose haha!

We do also host parties and social functions and it's not something I'd care to have to explain/debate with every guest we have over (though again, most of our friends have no problem with guns, and some go shooting with me), plus I don't need some drunk idiot messing with the presses or powder. Moreover, my roommates like to smoke hookah, and often use the dining room table for that, so sparks from hookah coals and powder probably wouldn't be a good mix lol...

I think when I eventually move to a house with a garage/basement or other place I could make into a "shop" kind of room, and have a car so I can go shooting at my leisure to test out loads as would be needed, I'd be willing to get into reloading. But for now, having good sources online and otherwise (NRA Range sells it and they're prices are very reasonable -- nver went up during the panice either!) wil suffice for me.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
LOL well my place is bigger in terms of sq ft than that, but I don't exactly live alone. I have 3 roommates and I'm not sure they'd want me to turn the dining room table into a reloading bench :p Don't get me wrong, they have no issues with me having guns at all, but the dining room would be the only place I could set it up (my bedroom is taken up by my gun safe, ammo storage and other gear in addition to bed, bookshelf, dresser etc) and I think they'd prefer it not be dedicated to that purpose haha!

We do also host parties and social functions and it's not something I'd care to have to explain/debate with every guest we have over (though again, most of our friends have no problem with guns, and some go shooting with me), plus I don't need some drunk idiot messing with the presses or powder. Moreover, my roommates like to smoke hookah, and often use the dining room table for that, so sparks from hookah coals and powder probably wouldn't be a good mix lol...

I think when I eventually move to a house with a garage/basement or other place I could make into a "shop" kind of room, and have a car so I can go shooting at my leisure to test out loads as would be needed, I'd be willing to get into reloading. But for now, having good sources online and otherwise (NRA Range sells it and they're prices are very reasonable -- nver went up during the panice either!) wil suffice for me.
smart choice.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts