Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know part of my problem is flinching. Most of my shots end up lower left. But the ONLY time I can actually hit a 3" Shoot-n-See at 10 yards is if I aim veeery carefully, line up the front sight slightly above the rear and cover the target with the front dot, MAYBE I'll hit it somewhere.

Now I'm doing everything I know pulling the trigger properly...pad of finger, squeeze like you won't expect the shot etc etc. It still somehow gets wild shots 6" away. Talk about frustrating.

Now the CZ P01 I tried the other day was exactly the opposite. I was punching out the whole 3" target at 15 yards, no problem. Even my Ruger 22/45 will hit the same target without thinking about it.

What gives? If I can't learn to shoot this thing, well...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Maybe you just got a bad gun? I dont know but I would think that even though guns are made to the exact same specs, there would be slight differences in accuracy. Same goes for cars and pretty much everything else. You have the .40 right?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Let someone else try it first. If they do well, then it is you.

The XD has a strange trigger compared to the P-01. There is a lot of take up, some pressure, then you fell the break point, then bang, over travel, repeat. The only gun I have tried where I could tell every time when the gun was going to fire.

If I where you, and I did this too, I would practice until you can feel the break point everytime. Take up all of that slack, then practice the boom part. That way, you learn the trigger and learn when the gun will fire.

Another thing you can do is after shooting keep the trigger pulled all the way, then let it ease out slowly. You should hear and feel a click, then you are ready to go again.

In all honesty, I think the XD has a funky trigger compared to any gun I have shot, but I do better with my XD than any other gun just due to practice.

If you get tired of trying to master it, then you can always put up your XD in trade for the P-01. I almost did. (Could not get a decent deal out of it, so I said no)

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
No offense, but it probably is not the pistol. It could be the sights I suppose... Shooting from a rest should be enough to find out if that is the case.

If it is the sights, I think you can send it back to Springfield, and they will correct it for you free of charge. If you don't feel like sending it to Springfield, send it to me.. I will shoot the **** out of it.. I am not qualified to correct the sights, but I like shooting.. and would love to shoot your XD!

Raymond

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a good idea Tuff. I'll let one of the pros at the range try it out and see what they think.

But let me ask this. If the XD takes too much to master, and in a pressure situation you're not really thinking about all that mess, would something more 'trigger friendly' be better? Something that will group decently even with bad technique?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I will tell you this.. About the first 1500 rounds through this pistol were low and left... It was frustrating!!! After looking at one of those charts that are posted around here.. I found that the "death" grip that I had on the pistol was the cause.. I was squeezing the grip to tightly, and when I pulled the trigger, my hands moved slightly from center to left...

after another 1000 rounds through the thing and relaxing a little, I still shoot low by about an inch or so.. but not left! I still havn't figured out why I am shooting low.. I guess I need to pump another couple of thousand rounds through the pistol, and ask questions... soon enough I will be ready to start becoming a really "crack" shot.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I had the same problem and after looking at the chart and getting someone to help me work on my grip and trigger finger it turned out I was squeezing the grip as I pulled the trigger. Get some one to watch you while you shoot and have them load you gun with a snapcap some where in the stack. This will give you a good idea of what is going on.

·
Registered
758 Posts
But let me ask this. If the XD takes too much to master, and in a pressure situation you're not really thinking about all that mess, would something more 'trigger friendly' be better? Something that will group decently even with bad technique?
Depends on what you want it for. If you want it for carry, chances are, you will never have to use it, and if you do, then chances are they target will be within 7 yards. If you can keep it in the black on a silhouette then you will be fine.

As with all things in life, practice practice practice. Plus, it will give you more time at the range :) I can double tap two to the chest and one to the head every time at 7 yards. It was not always the case, trust me. I was horrible if I was not taking the time to think about the trigger. After a bunch of thoughtful practice, I got to a point that where I can do all that I ask with the gun.

As for bull’s eye, that is another story :(

·
Registered
48 Posts
i go low left too.. unless i concentrate and breathe out as i pull the trigger. i lock my arm stiff and do alot better.. but if i double tap it goes low left, guaranteed.. ive only got 700 through mine though. i can reliably hit a 3" at 10 yards. (8 or 9 out of 12)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was squeezing the grip as I pulled the trigger.
I'm sure that's what is going on with me too, but when you think about the safety you HAVE to squeeze the grip more than other firearms, right? Today on the range it wouldn't fire a round, and found out the grip safety wasn't getting fully depressed. For some odd reason on my gun the lever has to be perfectly flush with the grip before it disengages the safety mechanism. I would prefer less...

·
Registered
580 Posts
i'm a left handed shooter, and i have/had the same problem...mostly because no one i shot with knew how to "teach" a leftie. anyhow...it was explained to me, that as your trigger finger tightens, there is a tendency for the rest of the fist to clench. the clenching, kind brings the shots where yours are.

a technique i was shown was to grip the pistol like you normally would with both hands, but "hang" your pinky's out there. basically, take them out of the grip entirely. again, as was explained to me, the tendons that cause the middle, and ring finger to retract, do so by pulling them STRAIGHT in...the tendons that cause the pinky to retract does so an angle.

i'm no expert...but hearing that, helped me...at least it made me more aware of the issue. good luck with your practice, and eventual solution.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
No, I think the grip safety is just fine.

When I started shooting the pistol, I wrapped my second digit of my thumb over the safety to disengage it... that was uncomfortable, and put my left hand out of place.. I found early that gripping the gun with my hand so that the fleshy part of my hand between my thumb and index finger firmly was the correct way to disengage that safety.

Interestingly.. If you tear down your pistol (rear assembly) you can actually see the way the grip safety stops the sear from allowing the firing pin to fire.. pretty simple.. pretty cool!

Anyway.. for me, grabbing the pistol firmly, takes care of the grip safety, then it's just a matter of keeping my finger off the trigger safety unitl I am ready to shoot something.

Raymond

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
paper tiger said:
Now I know part of my problem is flinching. Most of my shots end up lower left. But the ONLY time I can actually hit a 3" Shoot-n-See at 10 yards is if I aim veeery carefully, line up the front sight slightly above the rear and cover the target with the front dot, MAYBE I'll hit it somewhere.

Now I'm doing everything I know pulling the trigger properly...pad of finger, squeeze like you won't expect the shot etc etc. It still somehow gets wild shots 6" away. Talk about frustrating.

Now the CZ P01 I tried the other day was exactly the opposite. I was punching out the whole 3" target at 15 yards, no problem. Even my Ruger 22/45 will hit the same target without thinking about it.

What gives? If I can't learn to shoot this thing, well...
Quite simple. Shoot from a rest, and you will see that it is you not the gun. Also, try switching ammo. I had a batch of REALLY bad 9mm in my old steyr, and I couldnt hit a target at 15 feet

Do some dry fire practice and your a shooting should improve.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have two suggestions.

First, have someone else load your magazines and randomly insert some snap caps. When you try to fire it and it just goes click, you will see if you are doing something like flinching or pushing. This technique is very good and is well worth the time to try it.

Second, your grip might be the problem. It sounds like you are trying to hold on way too tightly. Maybe you are trying to control recoil. Anyhow, try holding it not very tightly with your strong hand. Keep your thumb tip out away from the gun. Then, with your support hand, firmly wrap your fingers around your strong hand fingers. Your support hand thumb should be comfortably positioned and also not tightly against the gun. I cross my thumbs, but some people place them next to each other and point them in the same direction. High or low, it doesn't matter. The key is to not have a death grip on the gun and don't worry about the recoil or controlling the recoil.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wouldn't automatically suspect the gun, though it won't hurt to let someone else try shooting it.

My advice is like some of the other replies here - practice, practice, and more practice. What you describe here seems to be "jerking the trigger." I have a tendency to do that too. A pistol safety instructor told me to treat the trigger as if I was trying to sneakily wipe some icing off of a cake so that it wouldn't looked like someone took a taste. That funny advice helped me.

Concentrate on breathing, focus on the front sight, and keep your left hand off of that "finger rest" in front of the trigger guard. Practice sighting and control by dry-firing an unloaded weapon. If you are flinching, dry-firing practice can help break the habit.

Shoot often. Consider using paper plates instead of "official" targets.

-Wolf

·
Registered
179 Posts
One word. Overtravel. My XD-9 sub has a horrible lurch after the break. Unless I work hard at pressing straight back on the trigger and not allowing the gun to move, I jerk every shot low/left.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts