Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok if SHTF anytime soon. And say everything falls apart and you can not flee your home to get with family, for example. My nearest relative whom is my sister lives in NE Alabama. My sister-in-laws live in Kansas and North Carolina. My family, meaning my wife and daughter live close to hell in SW Florida.

Say the power grid is knocked out and gas pumps can not pump with out power. Your stuck where your at. How much ammo would you stock pile if people start to loot and innocent killings take place. I do not want to get into a food and butt paper topic. I just wanna know how much ammo you keep on hand to defend your home and family and what rifles, shotguns and pistols would you choose to use? If you had to bug out after things settle a wee bit what Firearms would you take with you.

I am thinking I would let my wife carry the Armalite Rifle due to the ammo capacity along with her M&P 40. I would take the A Bolt 2 along with my XD-45. Im just not sure I would haul the 870 due to weight of the shells. How much ammo would you carry if you did have to make a run for family? I mean how much ammo would you carry in your bugout bag? Dang its hard to get across what I am trying to get at here. :mad:

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
All of it, and the guns to go with it !!

My house is my kingdom :D
I'm not leaving unless a natural disaster forces me to vacate.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well we have never left even when we had the 4 hurricanes hit us 1 after the other, a few years ago. Its 6 to 7 hours from here to the GA line. So we have always rode out the storms, but even then people were looting cuz the cops were no where to be found.

·
Registered
19,877 Posts
If the economy collapses and we lose the ability to pump gas long term, I figure I'll never see my brother again. If it gets that bad, and he does the smart thing and tries to makes it back here, I'm not sure how well he'd fare. He has an economy car. maybe he could find enough cans of gas for the trip if he is smart and lucky, but there are lots of mountains and desert between us now that he set up his life in California.

I think even the in-laws and extended family downstate would be written off. Its over 1,000 miles, round trip. Moving and never seeing your family again used to not be so uncommon.

Its hard to imagine a situation were I'd be bugging out. Within walking distance, I have access to plenty of family and the family farm with its huge garden, creek, drinking water quality springs here and there and woodlands. building living quarter right near the garden would be a priority (you can't protect a garden from 2 legged vermin if you aren't there), but with the existing equipment sheds and a whole mess of cut lumber sitting right there drying out, that would be fairly easy.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
How much ammo would you stock pile if people start to loot and innocent killings take place.
By the time it gets this bad you oppertunity to stockpile anything will have passed.

I recommend at least 2 weapons in any caliber you have 1 weapon in. So I have two .45s, two 9mms, two .22s, two .223s, three 12gauges, and so on.

This is because I recommend at leasy 1,500 rounds in any caliber you stock (500 for shotguns) and if one of the guns in that caliber goes down and you don't have another those bullets are at best trading items.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'd like to get my stockpile to at least 1000 rounds of .40 for my carry gun. Zombie, why do you say only 500 for shotgun? I just bought an 870 and figured I'd get the same amount of shells for that as I would for my pistol.

·
Registered
19,877 Posts
I'd like to get my stockpile to at least 1000 rounds of .40 for my carry gun. Zombie, why do you say only 500 for shotgun? I just bought an 870 and figured I'd get the same amount of shells for that as I would for my pistol.
Shells are huge compared to any other commonly used piece of ammo. you'll never carry as many as you would for any other gun. common shotgun capacities are 2 rounds or 5 rounds. Compare 2 or 5 to an AR mag that normally holds 30 and the XDm holding 16 in the mag

Then there is the suitability of the weapon; shotguns are for birds and bunnies. For anything else, I'd rather have a rifle

Honestly, if you are stockpiling, stockpile for a rifle first. pistols are the final defense last reserve weapon. you'd always use a rifle over a pistol if you have the opportunity.

I'd much rather have 1000 rounds of .223 and 50 rounds of 40sw than the other way around.

now if you have a 40 in carbine and pistol, I might rethink that.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I think Groo answered this well. I just think of the size of 12 guage and the amount of time it would take me to go through 500 rounds in my shotguns.

The numbers are essentially my own personal level of comfort. I consider those numbers to mean I am out of ammo. So I stock more for trips to the range. If I have 1,700 rounds of .223 and I shoot 300 at the range then I need to hurry up and get at least 100 more sounds to get back above my target minimum.

This is not just for major disasters but even the ammo shortages we saw right after the 2008 election (which actually may qualify as a "major disaster" ;)) made me thankful I had some reserves so I didn't have to stop shooting my XD45.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
My theory for BOB is to plan for what you can carry. My BOB is actually three (right now) a pack for me, a pack for the wife, and a fanny pack that also serves as a GHB.

As we all know, ammo is heavy. If you're young, strong, and healthy, then carry a lot. Like maybe 1,000 rounds for your main gun, and fifty to a hundred for your backups.

I have 500 rounds of 9mm pistol ammo, 100 rnds of .22lr, 50 rnds .38spl, and 50 rnds 32acp in my BOB(s), and my bugout guns. My bugout guns are four pistols and a 9mm carbine.

I'm old and fat, with bad knees. I can carry the heaviest pack (which is about 50 lbs, and has the most important things in it) with the carbine, XD, and fanny pack all day with a 15 to 20 minute rest once every hour to hour and a half. That gets me about ten miles. If you're younger, stronger and healthier, you should be able to do twice that.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I am trying to get my stock up, I have 1K rounds for the Stag 2T. and 500 rounds for each pistol. My problem is we just laid 6500 bucks in tile this past week. I ordered some more ammo last night and noticed that Winchester has again gone up in price. I most of the time get my stuff from Ammunition To Go, cuz Cheaper Than Dirt never has 5.56 in 100 round boxes. But I do like the Lake City stuff, never had an issue with it.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I plan to have
1000 5.56
1000 9mm
1000 .40
1000 .45
1000 .22
500 12 ga
I used to have something close to this but we shot quite practicing due to some security concerns we have with my Fiance's ex.

·
Premium Member
127,427 Posts
Our situation is such that we plan to stay put. However, when I was in combat I carried 300 rounds of 5.56mm on each mission.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
If we're talking bug out amounts then about 200 rounds of 5.56 for my AR, 150 9mm for my XDM9 if I am on foot. I definitely want to stay light to move quick and go the escape and evade route. The only reason you would bug out is because:
A. You have a well stocked location that is better than your present spot
or
B. Your present location is so untenable that you will risk headed out into the unknown

·
Registered
202 Posts
All of it, and the guns to go with it !!

My house is my kingdom :D
I'm not leaving unless a natural disaster forces me to vacate.
+1. I will take my last breath in the kingdom lol. Not running any where. I haven't reached my goal yet because of my current finances but I would like to reach 2000 .40 rounds.

·
Registered
19,877 Posts
+1. I will take my last breath in the kingdom lol. Not running any where. I haven't reached my goal yet because of my current finances but I would like to reach 2000 .40 rounds.
That much ammo isn't prepping for a survival situation (unless you have multiple 40sw carbines to arm several family members). That is stockpiling so you can continue to target practice if you can't get your hands on more ammo for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
202 Posts
That much ammo isn't prepping for a survival situation (unless you have multiple 40sw carbines to arm several family members). That is stockpiling so you can continue to target practice if you can't get your hands on more ammo for an extended period of time.
I guess you are right. Zombies could be considered target practice...lmao. But seriously, I do have my eyes set on another .40 for the Mrs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts