Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
It can be a defective unit.

Im sure gunvault's safes has gone through rigorous testing to ensure it's effectiveness against accidental or forceful opening. There might be a defective sensor on the opposite side where he's tapping it which unlocks the mechanism.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Oh my...not good. Was planning on picking one of these up. The 2 shelf type.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I had one of these models, and when I bought it new it would not open unless I entered the combination and then pressed the door, much like the guy in the video does (without the combo of course). I did some adjusting with a screwdriver as a lever to make the latch line up with the catch better and it was fixed. After the first year, it started eating a set of batteries every 3 weeks or so. I figured it was destined to fail when I needed it most and it is now retired. If anyone would like to buy it...

·
Registered
335 Posts
That's why there are still a lot of people that prefer a mechanical lock instead of any electronics. Some people don't have any problems and then you see a few issues raised just like the ones right here. Usually battery life comes up or the tiny cable that winds up and opens the latch will break. I have read about both those issues happening to people. I do love technology, but I'm just not confident enough yet in it to store my HD handgun that way. Sometimes simple just works best.
I don't have any personal experience with the Gunvault product.
Here's what I have: FAS1 SAFE, LLC
Only has room for one gun and you can store 2 or 3 mags in the bottom.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I have this vault and luckily mine does not open with a tap on the door like the video shows.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
That's why there are still a lot of people that prefer a mechanical lock instead of any electronics. Some people don't have any problems and then you see a few issues raised just like the ones right here. Usually battery life comes up or the tiny cable that winds up and opens the latch will break. I have read about both those issues happening to people. I do love technology, but I'm just not confident enough yet in it to store my HD handgun that way. Sometimes simple just works best.
I don't have any personal experience with the Gunvault product.
Here's what I have: FAS1 SAFE, LLC
Only has room for one gun and you can store 2 or 3 mags in the bottom.
+1, after my experience with my Gunsafe. After all, I could have a stun gun in my bedside drawer and would not necessarily need to keep it locked away. We choose and depend on our firearms because they work every time. IMHO, the particular Gunsafe that I own is less reliable than the firearm it would contain. If you feel strongly otherwise, I will sell you mine for a fraction of what I paid. My XDm is a different story; it is not for sale.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've got 4 in total, 2 mini deluxe like in the You Tube movie and I can't do the same thing.
The guy had for sure a defective one....

·
Registered
6 Posts
My GunVault does not open with a tap. In fact, it does NOT open. Eats a set of batteries every 3 weeks. Am going to see if I can figure out why it is drawing current while at rest. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've had my Gunvault for over 6 years and only changed the batteries a couple of times. I'm now on a annual basis for changing them, just to be sure, but I've never had any issues with mine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My GunVault does not open with a tap. In fact, it does NOT open. Eats a set of batteries every 3 weeks. Am going to see if I can figure out why it is drawing current while at rest. Anyone have any suggestions?
Let me know what you find out, I've only had my less than 2 months and it does the same thing. Was thinking of calling Gunvault

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Do any of the batteries feel hot? If so, got a short somewhere and I'd call GunVault. I've had batteries in mine for a year plus before changing.

I have the GunVault Mini and it's been fine. Beat on the door and it never has opened.

I will give props to Gunvault, too. I had a 3 year old version with the "old" release mechanism which was a cable on a spool. Long story short, the cable broke off the spool and the safe wouldn't open electronically. I called up Gunvault just looking to see if they'll repair it for a fee. Instead, since it was a known defect, they sent me a new safe despite being 2 years out of warranty. No cost to me whatsoever. The new release is purely metal on metal release so it should last forever.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's like the people who post a defective XD and claim that all XD's are "unsafe". It's mostly an urban legend. Someone got a defective safe, it happens. Or, a competitor is spreading FUD. I was on one gun board where they caught an employee of another safe company posting FUD like this about GunVault. They are popular because they are inexpensive and reasonably effective, and that makes them something of a target.

I've owned this model, and despite my best efforts, I can't make it do this. I've owned other safes by other manufacturers where there were claims they were unsafe or easy to open. I've never been able to replicate any of those claims either. The claims usually involve either a completely defective safe, which they would be able to get fixed on warranty, or deliberately misleading circumstances, such as they don't close the latch all the way, or they leave it unlocked, or they beat the safe to hell first off camera before they do whatever it is they do.

That being said, any safe can be defeated by sufficiently motivated thieves with time on their side. The cheaper ones can be defeated more quickly. Don't count on a mini GunVault or a chintzy cabinet to protect all of your weapons while you are on vacation. I keep mine at a relatives if I'm going to be out for a long period of time, and I have an expensive quality safe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's like the people who post a defective XD and claim that all XD's are "unsafe". It's mostly an urban legend. Someone got a defective safe, it happens. Or, a competitor is spreading FUD. I was on one gun board where they caught an employee of another safe company posting FUD like this about GunVault. They are popular because they are inexpensive and reasonably effective, and that makes them something of a target.

I've owned this model, and despite my best efforts, I can't make it do this. I've owned other safes by other manufacturers where there were claims they were unsafe or easy to open. I've never been able to replicate any of those claims either. The claims usually involve either a completely defective safe, which they would be able to get fixed on warranty, or deliberately misleading circumstances, such as they don't close the latch all the way, or they leave it unlocked, or they beat the safe to hell first off camera before they do whatever it is they do.

That being said, any safe can be defeated by sufficiently motivated thieves with time on their side. The cheaper ones can be defeated more quickly. Don't count on a mini GunVault or a chintzy cabinet to protect all of your weapons while you are on vacation. I keep mine at a relatives if I'm going to be out for a long period of time, and I have an expensive quality safe.
Follow up on my Gunvault 1000 series "gun safe". Tonight I installed a brand new, fresh from the sealed package, set of 8 Duracell AA batteries. And something new!
Now I get nothing more than a 'whir' sound and zip. Nada. Zilch. It does not open with the electronics. HOWEVER, to be fair, it opens just find with the wee key.
The question is, how long do you want to take to find the key in the dark, find the keyhole in the dark and get the GunVault opened up in order to protect yourself and your family?
Believe me, I KNOW about home defense and self defense. How? From experience. The very best teacher, bar none. Well, let me rephrase that. I know what I AM NOT WILLING TO RISK MY LIFE ON and that would be an unreliable firearm or an unreliable storage method.
The GunVault was ideal. When travelling it was just the right size to safely store my handgun indoors and get to it FAST when needed. And when you need it, trust me when I say, YOU WILL NEED IT AS FAST AS POSSIBLE.
My first awakening to self defense was hearing my sister scream as an assailant entered her room while I was still living at home some years ago. Best I could do was a 9 iron..... a coincidence I figured as the assailant ran out the door and down the street as the police were on the way with red lights flashing and spotlights on. Too late.
My second was an attempted carjacking in Orlando/Kissimmee, FL, in broad daylight. Only my wits and the Grace of God saved myself and my family from Lord knows what. It was within two minutes of that experience that I pledged I would never be put in the situation again.
We outfitted our SUV(s) with not one, but TWO wee safes from Harbour Freight. One to store my handgun(s) where I was not legal to carry and the other to store my ammo on the same circumstances, removed from the magazine. Truly unloaded and stored as safely as humanly possible. I cross the border to and from Canada several times a year and have NEVER had an issue with transporting my handgun(s), nor during any LEO stops on the interstates or other stops. Never.
Two years ago (perhaps 1.5) I purchased a GunVault to store my handgun by my bedside at my homes and when travelling enroute. Safety first I thought. WRONG!
When I went to that GunVault to retrieve my Glock for regular inspection, etc., and it just went 'click' and did not open? My heart started pounding. The first thought was "I cannot believe this... I change the batteries regularly and check it regularly... why now?" And then the revelation struck me. You cannot trust your life to a GunVault.
I am not saying that I have the perfect answer but I did send the GunVault folks a very nice email a short while ago and have not received any sort of confirmation or discussion of my issue. AND, TRUST ME, THIS IS ONE HECK OF AN ISSUE! Somewhat akin to getting hands on your firearm and discovering that when you pulled the trigger to defend your life or the life of your teenage daughters all you got was "click".
I sure would like to hear GunVault weigh in on this. I absolutely love the concept and they have something of a patent on their product... it matters not if the product does not work. I don't need to outline the ramifications as I think they are pretty obvious. It is a matter of time before someone loses their ability to defend themselves and possibly their very life by such an occurance.
The product concept is great. If I could depend on it I would gladly pay double what I paid. Fact is, I'm thinking of buying TWO new GunVaults and putting a Glock in each. Redundancy.... better than nothing.

·
Registered
17,695 Posts
Double check your positioning of the battery pack/motor mechanism...if its not placed correctly it can lead to a loose lock or not disengaging when the combination key is pressed.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts