Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always been interested in doing work on my own guns. Unfortunately not much work needs to be done to my XD9, which is good in a way for reliability. It would not be concealed, or even used for home security I want to buy I guess a cheap 1911. That I could customize and learn more about.

Any suggestions on beginning Gun smithing, Inexpensive but well made 1911's, Where or how to buy inexpensive pistols, or anything else

Thanks Joe

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
Sprinfields GI series can be made into nice compitition/carry guns.

I guess what direction do you want to go and what type of things do you want to be able to do. If you want to work for money the first thing you need is inshurance to cover your self, especially if you have kids or a family. Second again if you want to smith for money look into getting an ffl.

If its for your self and you only want to be able to work on 1911`s then a Brownells has kits that include tools to work and specific to 1911`s

There are several people that have asked the same question as you over at the firing line. Check out the smithy section lots of good advice has been given there. In fact enough that you can read for several hrs.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8

·
Registered
287 Posts
If you are just interested in hobby gunsmithing... then a cheap GI 1911 or even a setp up to a mil-spec could be a good starting point. Another starting point is putting together gun from a parts kit and a reciever... builds confidence... which is what you really need....

Another suggestion would be to forget about uising a dremel most of the time... I know its the best multi purpose tool man ever invented.... it just too easy to take off too much metal...

one more suggestion would be to own a caliper... tight and loose can be the difference of + or - .003 in some cases...

·
Banned
3,861 Posts
I took a magazine article from "Guns & Ammo" and an exploded drawing from my owner's manual and took one of my least treasured revolvers apart. The result was a pretty smooth shooting Rossi. Since then I have worked on a couple more of my guns and I'm currently working on this Ruger Bearcat I bought. I am by no means a gunsmith but I do enjoy tinkering with my own guns.
There's plenty of information on the 'net. Another tip is to get a camera and take pictures of what you are disassembling, for future reference.
Your basic handguns ain't rocket science, no disrespect to all the fine gunsmiths out there, tuning one up requires some good skills and knowledge that a good 'smith will have. But the only way you're gonna get that is by cracking one open and examining the insides.
I've never made any modifications to a semi-auto pistol other than changing springs, as soon as I can find the right 1911 to be my guinea pig I'm going to give it a shot.
hytekblue is correct about the Dremel tool, I have never had the need to use one yet.

Good luck, it's fun, relaxing and satisfying.

bd

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I have worked on my own guns and only went as far as I felt comfortable. That being said though, I at onetime was an aluminum and plastic injection mold maker so I have had alot of experiense fitting parts. Im still trying to get the nerve up to try and build a 1911 from a caspian frame and slide. A dremel can be your best friend or your worst enemy. I prefer to use stones for fitting parts. I have a ruby polishing stone I use for my trigger and sears, it takes a very small amount of metal off at a time and does so leaving a very smooth surface. Read lots and get the right tools for the job.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys for the help
Is this the kit you recommend I get, and would the brass punches be sufficient to change out the sights on my XD, The gun-shops say they don't have the 'tool' for it.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=845&title=BASIC+GUNSMITH+KIT

Is there somewhere you can recommend that sells stocks and parts, or can I just get one unassembled from the factory?
I really like the Beretta 92fs I doubt I can get one of them for cheap.

Thanks again For all your help, Joe

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I built my first non issued 1911 from a parts bin with a few parts from kings, wilson ect. Getting it accurate was no problem but it wasnt very reliable, then when I finally got it reliable it wasnt very accurate. I built it while taking a corespondance course for gunsmithing, sold it and bought a Springfield 1911 that I wish I still had. The moral is working on your own pistols can end up costing you more than paying for the work to be done right the first time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats a good point, though I think the experience would be worth it, let alone the knowledge

Where did you gat the parts from?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts