Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
let me start this off by i scearched and couldnt fine this thread if there is one but in looking at a xdm compact in 9mm in the gun shop its 650ish is the best price only im finding it for 525ish plus shipping im just wondering if there is other fees im not seeing from buying online ive never done it before and it kinda worries me also how safe is it thanks for any help also im from wisconsin if that changes anything on fees

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
They have to ship to your FFL, so you will also incur the fee your FFL charges. Most around here charge $20 - $25. So gun price, shipping, and FFL transfer. Hope that he is figuring the cost and paying his side of the FFL and shipping. Alot of FFLs won't accept from private parties, they want FFL to FFL, although they could.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
let me start this off by i scearched and couldnt fine this thread if there is one but in looking at a xdm compact in 9mm in the gun shop its 650ish is the best price only im finding it for 525ish plus shipping im just wondering if there is other fees im not seeing from buying online ive never done it before and it kinda worries me also how safe is it thanks for any help also im from wisconsin if that changes anything on fees
I'll sell you a couple commas and a handful of periods for $5.00. :lol:

Buying online is "safe" if you buy from a reputable vendor. You should expect to pay a $20 - $25 transfer fee at the local Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) of your choice. The pistol will be shipped to your FFL. Inspect the pistol before you take possession of it. Some online vendors include shipping in their fees. Others do not. Some charge extra for purchasing with a credit card - technically in violation of Visa/MasterCard guidelines. Others do not.

There are a number of reputable vendors who are sponsors on this site. That's a good place to start your online search.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What everyone said above. I bought my XDM 3.8 9mm online from GunBroker cant remember who I used off hand.

I have bought 3 new guns on GunBroker and havent had a issue with any of them.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
768 Posts
My local Cabelas charges $35, where as a local pawnbroker charges $10...shop around for an FFL that will do the transfer for you for the best price. As stated, be aware that some FFLs will not take the transfer from a "non-FFL" sender...

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
I don't know about WI fees but does being from WI have any thing to do with your lack of punctuation?

don

·
Registered
273 Posts
I don't know about WI fees but does being from WI have any thing to do with your lack of punctuation?

don
No, it doesn't. ;):D

northfb52: The most "difficult" part about purchasing a firearm online is calling different FFLs in your area to find the cheapest transfer fee. The online seller will charge a shipping fee(s), the receiving FFL will charge the transfer fee. Yes, it's a middleman fee.
You'll pay the seller and make arrangements with your FFL. The gun will ship to them. When they receive it you can pick it up - at that point paying the transfer fee. (You need to fill out the background check at your FFL prior to actually picking up the gun.)

I'm not familiar enough with Eau Claire to tell you who is cheapest but call your local Gander Mountain, Dunham's, gun shop, etc. Basically any business that sells guns. Ask them what their transfer fee is and how the process works with them. They'll be happy to explain as it's income for them with neither work nor investment involved on their part.:cool:

·
Registered
768 Posts
No, it doesn't. ;):D

northfb52: The most "difficult" part about purchasing a firearm online is calling different FFLs in your area to find the cheapest transfer fee. The online seller will charge a shipping fee(s), the receiving FFL will charge the transfer fee. Yes, it's a middleman fee.
You'll pay the seller and make arrangements with your FFL. The gun will ship to them. When they receive it you can pick it up - at that point paying the transfer fee. (You need to fill out the background check at your FFL prior to actually picking up the gun.)

I'm not familiar enough with Eau Claire to tell you who is cheapest but call your local Gander Mountain, Dunham's, gun shop, etc. Basically any business that sells guns. Ask them what their transfer fee is and how the process works with them. They'll be happy to explain as it's income for them with neither work nor investment involved on their part.:cool:
Don't forget your local pawnbrokers, in my experience they have been the cheapest for the transfer fees...:mrgreen: As pepsi said, it really is quite a simple process. The first thing I would do is find an FFL dealer that will do the transfer at the price you like, then find the gun you want to purchase. Pay the seller for the gun, have your FFL dealer email or fax their FFL license info and wait for it to show up. When it arrives you go to the FFL dealer, complete the form for the background check, pay their fee and walk out with your gun. Nothing to it...;) I have purchased several guns from online dealers and have had NO issues...

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
For the lowest prices in Eau Claire use;

1243 Menomonie St.
Eau Claire, WI 54703

This location is on the corner of Clairemont Ave. and Menomonie St in the parking lot of the Riverside plaza. From Highway 53 south take Clairemont Ave. west past several stop and go lights. You will cross a three lane bridge. Turn right at the set of stop and go lights immediately after the bridge. Take the first right into Riverside Plaza. We are located straight ahead on the right.

First call them and tell them that you are wanting to buy a gun and get them "in the loop". Only then pay for it and include the ship to information for the pawn shop. Then you have to go to the pawn shop and pay for the transfer. The shop will contact the seller and transfer FFL numbers and you will have to do the background check dance at the pawn shop. Assuming you pass, the gun will be shipped and you can pick it up then.

Oh, they also sell suppressors...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
awsome thank you for the help and my lack of punctuation is my trying to type quickly and not rechecking cuz the gf was yelling at me

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
awsome thank you for the help and my lack of punctuation is my trying to type quickly and not rechecking cuz the gf was yelling at me
Isnt that the usual grind? well in my case its my wife but its still the same concept!:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought my first XDM 45. in bi-tone from guns America.. its being shipped right now, but besides the transfer fee, I was told there is a state tax I also have to pay... Don't know if its the same in every state.. but I called a few places and they all said its true.. I live in Washington State.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you buy from a seller in Illinois make damn sure you find out exactly what the shipping charge will be before you bid. Over the summer I had several Illinois sellers try to charge me $100 plus just to ship a pistol. Needless to say I did not bid.

Most gave the excuse that they dealer would not ship FFL to FFL dealer through the post office. This is entirely legal and much cheaper than FedEx or UPS. The post office is how C3 dealers ship machine guns so if it is good enough for that it should be good enough for a pistol.

·
Registered
768 Posts
LMAO...I feel your pain man! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd say shop around at different gun shops in your area, even if you have to drive an hour away there's usually perks with buying from a store rather than online. 650 does sound a bit steep for an xdm, I got my 9mm compact for 569 out the door plus they threw a bunch of free junk my way (ammo, range bag, ear plugs, mug, xdm hat).

Plus that saves you from losing your mind while waiting for it to be shipped.
Just my $.02...

By the way I'm new here. Hi. The names Matt. We have stuff in common, my girlfriends yelling at me.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I just bought my first XDM 45. in bi-tone from guns America.. its being shipped right now, but besides the transfer fee, I was told there is a state tax I also have to pay... Don't know if its the same in every state.. but I called a few places and they all said its true.. I live in Washington State.
I live in Redmond, WA and I bought an XDM 3.8 in 9mm back in May. I got it from a local dealer for $559 + tax. I felt that was a good buy. I didn't have to pay a transfer fee so I saved there but still got stung by the WA state tax. I have a CPL so was able to purchase and walk out the door with it that day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts