Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am venturing into NFA items for the first time. I have been exploring setting up a NFA/ Gun Trust and I have a couple of questions for you experienced folks out there.

1. Are the $99-$199 forms on line basically the same thing a local attorney wants to charge me $500-$600 for?

2. Is the Trust the absolute best way to go for purchasing and managing all my guns and gun related items?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
How well versed are you with living trusts, how it pertains to your state law and defining legal terms?

This will determined diy or attorney.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How well versed are you with living trusts, how it pertains to your state law and defining legal terms?

This will determined diy or attorney.
I understand where you are coming from and to answer your question I'm not versed at all when it comes to trusts. However, what I noticed on the DIY sites is you choose your state and then fill out VERY basic information. I am curious if the rest is standardized text whether if comes from a local attorney here in Huntsville, AL or whether it comes from a website. There is a substantial price difference, $99 vs $600 but if $99 will serve my needs then the difference in price is a huge chunk toward the Osprey 45 I have my eye on. :lol:

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
you can get a $99 trust, but the question you have to ask yourself is will it hold up in federal court? Does your trust need to be funded? Are you prohibited by state law to practice law without a licence?

check out silencer shop .com 's services page.

·
Registered
65 Posts
check out silencer shop .com 's services page.

Very definitely this. I used a lawyer recommended from this site (ahem, in Coppell) and got a Texas trust for about $300. Spent time talking with me on the phone and we had numerous email exchanges making sure everything was set up the way I wanted. This included making sure all the people I wanted in the trust were in the correct categories for control of, as well as use of, my controlled items. I wanted to enable some to be able to use the items but not have any say in how there were disposed, passed on etc.

With something like this where the Govt is intimately involved, my recommendation is "do it right or go home."

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I just looked at this same thing myself.... I decided that I would go with the online version instead of the local lawyer (or even some of the national level ones) who were charging the big $$ for the trust. Glad that I did the online version. They had some good common questions answered, and since he was a "gun lawyer" to begin with and offer the expanded services if needed, I figured this was a good way to start. I used:

guntrustlawyer.com

I haven't had a chance to "fund" the Trust yet..... and will be buying the suppressor and that whole mess when $$ is available. But think this is pretty solid. I need to get it done before the idiots in DC try to change the rules.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
With something like this where the Govt is intimately involved, my recommendation is "do it right or go home."
I agree.

1. I hardly trust lawyers even when I speak with them face to face.

2. I don't trust the U.S. Government AT ALL.

3. Would I trust a so called internet law firm?

4. Would I trust someone on the internet, that I don't know, that I will NEVER meet, to create a bargain, cut and paste Gun Trust for me?

Yeah, they might save me a couple hundred dollars in fees, but if they screw it up, guess who goes to prison?

Hint: It ain't THEM.

Have you noticed that my level of trust has gone down as this list gets longer?

My recommendation is either do it right, or don't do it at all.

The government can't put you in prison for "thinking" about taking a shortcut to obtaining a NFA item, but they CAN put you in prison if you choose to do so, and do it wrong.

Ain't worth it to me. YMMV.

Duane

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
A gun trust is not the same thing as an NFA trust. There are different laws surrounding NFA items that a gun trust might require you to break federal law if you add the wrong kind of item to it. The verbiage is INCREDIBLY important... and being a layman, i wanted to make sure that it was, so i went with a professional lawyer.

I will have a Gun Trust
an have an NFA Trust
I will have a personal property Trust soon

you need different trusts for different things.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree guys. I'm going through the lawyer. $500 now is cheaper than thousands and a felony later

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
I'm setting up my NFA trust through Texas Law Shield. Three different shops in the area recommended them.

Cost is $299.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would definitely recommend an attorney that is familiar with NFA trusts. It's always better to pay a little extra on the front end to ensure that things are done right the first time.

Just my two cents worth...

Tim # Liberty

·
Registered
650 Posts
I paid more to have mine set up by a local attorney personally recommended to me by the owner of the LGS handling my transaction. That's my preference - if anything goes wrong I have a local phone number to call with a real human to speak to at the other end.

OTOH

We are all required to submit copies of our trusts to the ATF. They go over each one with a fine tooth comb - and they see thousands every year. If there were some fly-by-night online outfit turning out sketchy trusts, we would have all surely heard about it by now.

·
Banned
0 Posts
My shop keeps a lawyer on hand to set up everything as you buy. It cost me $160. I don't know why you would sell nfa items without this service. It just seems like a common sense business practice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts