Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the August 2005 Gun Tests Magazine in the mail.

.45 POLIMER SELF-DEFENCE GUNS: SPRINGFIELD'S XD45 ONE-UPS GLOCKS 21 PAGE 6

Haven't read the article yet, but I should be good.

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
Those are the same idiots that said the HS2000 (same pistol) was a mediocre design and only if your on a budget was it worth your time. SA puts their name on it and sudenly its awsome.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Springfield spends more money on advertising than HS could afford to. So of course by changing the name on the gun its now a much better product. :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I used to subscribe. I think their reviews are as suspect as those done by Consumer Reports. I don't trust either one to be unbiased anymore.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't always agree with their opinons but I read it to see what actually happens. I do find their ammo articles a waste of my time, but once again I look at their data and draw my own conclusion. And I think I trust them more other gun rags, but that's not saying much.

Steelheart

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
A little off topic, but manygunner, why do you think CR is biased? They accept no advertising and buy all of their products for testing; none of them are donated by the manufacturers. In fact, if they are aware a company is using their test results to sell an item, they will sue them if necessary to make them stop. I don't find them unbiased at all, although at times, the products they test in the field of electronics are sometimes discontinued models.

I have been reading them for a couple of decades and subscribing for about 5yrs. I think they are a good unbiased mag. Just my opinion. Interested to hear your answer. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Actually Jacob Staff that is pretty funny. I am :oops:. I meant biased of course. I'm sure glad you were the only one that saw that. :D

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Mainly because I have seen how they showed preferential treatement and gave higher ratings to US made cars that were obviously POS. I saw good foreign cars maligned in favor of some Detroit built trash. Further I know that several US car makers send cars made with specifically higher quality control to send to CR, CR does not get to choose any car on the lot (I was informed of this by a Ford emloyee. SHe told me that whe she was getting a car that she made sure her particular car was designated as a CR test cat so it got higher anti-corrosion and paint QC.) This was over a decade or so ago when Nader was stil there. They also gave worst possible rating to Hyundai back then while they were better engineered and more reliable then anything that was coming otu of the US production lines.). Nope they do not exercise good controls and have in the past showed bias against foreign competition. I wil never trust them again.

·
Registered
85 Posts
consumer reports has saved me a lot of money.
it resolves questions i could not think to ask.
its one prong of a trident(internet reviews, word of mouth) approach to large purchases.

their undocumented quasi-organic preferance and their hyper envrionmental awareness are the two things that i have most expertiese, and these do turn me off.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I don't think "Gun Test" is biased, other than the personal biases that we all have. I just question some of their comparisons. Take this article for example. It seems to me that it would have made more sense to compare the XD to a Glock 37. At least then, both pistols would have been chambered for the same caliber, been of similar size and ammo capacity. They really do some apple to oranges comparisons at times.

ranburr

·
Registered
513 Posts
Gun mags are Gun mags. Worth reading to pass the time until the next time I get to go shoot. Oh, and drool over all the things that I still want and will probably never need.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
manygunner, I wasn't aware of the info you provided by the women. CR does state they purchase their vehs. at car lots rather than have them given to them like most mags. If they are getting specially fixed ones then of course the test results are skewed. If it's being done without their knowledge, they can't be blamed for that. If they aware of it, then of course, shame on them.

As far as the Hyundai, if I recall correctly, in 1995 they were making the Excell, one of the worst cars ever made. I don't know how you can say that product was better than the US cars at that time. That car almost caused them to stop selling in the US from every report I read. It was almost as bad as the Yugo 360. I talked to a lot of mechanics about that car and they all agreed they hated working on it and believed when it had problems, it should have just been thrown away instead of fixed, because it was a piece of junk.

They don't show bias against foreign cars as you state, as they rate Toyota, Honda, Subaru and Hyundai as some of the best made cars in the world in different classes. You need to start reading some of their mags, you are way off base on this, even if you believe they have done it in the past.

It's a shame you won't trust a product based on one person's story about certain cars made available to CR. That would be like never trusting an XD because someone told you their gun rusted. :wink:.

Each to his own. We can respectfully agree to disagree I guess.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I like gun tests because there's no filler and fluff. On the average 2 page article in Guns Magazine or any other, I can pull about a paragraph of actual information out of about 20 paragraphs of the author struggling to fill his word quota with cliche and meaningless impressions. "It felt good in my hand". Great, that means nothing to me. At least Gun Tests will consistently display info that's important to me, such as the overall length, height, and width of every firearm.

I'm not sure about Consumer Reports car ratings, but I know they are totally clueless when it comes to electronics, especially TVs. I know opinions can vary, but anyone who would rate the picture of an RCA over a Pana or Sony is blind and/or dumb, and not the mute kind of dumb.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Jacob Staff said:
I just got the August 2005 Gun Tests Magazine in the mail.

.45 POLIMER SELF-DEFENCE GUNS: SPRINGFIELD'S XD45 ONE-UPS GLOCKS 21 PAGE 6

Haven't read the article yet, but I should be good.
that may have been a valid comparison if it was .45 acp against .45acp.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A few month ago they had a comparison between an XD SC, CZ and a Kahr PM. They were looking for a backup gun and did not like the XD because it did not fit into a pocket and was too heavy.

I thought this was a apples to oranges comparison. Still it had useful information about each gun, including ammo tests.

·
Registered
375 Posts
manygunner said:
Mainly because I have seen how they showed preferential treatement and gave higher ratings to US made cars that were obviously POS. I saw good foreign cars maligned in favor of some Detroit built trash. Further I know that several US car makers send cars made with specifically higher quality control to send to CR, CR does not get to choose any car on the lot (I was informed of this by a Ford emloyee. SHe told me that whe she was getting a car that she made sure her particular car was designated as a CR test cat so it got higher anti-corrosion and paint QC.) This was over a decade or so ago when Nader was stil there. They also gave worst possible rating to Hyundai back then while they were better engineered and more reliable then anything that was coming otu of the US production lines.). Nope they do not exercise good controls and have in the past showed bias against foreign competition. I wil never trust them again.
are you talking about their new car reviews, or are you talking about the ratings they provide at year's end? when they review vehicles, they often cite that the vehicle rides well, or corners well, or whatever, but often, if it's american, they rate it suspect for reliability. so when i read reviews of their new vehicles, i take it with a grain of salt, checking the reliability ratings (from the year end review) for that make and model. i don't know how one could think that CR is biased towards american made cars, check their year-end issue that lists ratings for all cars, which are based on responses from CR members. hondas, toyotas, lexus and acura always rate well, whereas gm, ford and chrysler always have black marks (circles, actually).

dn
cincinnati
xd40 service
xd9sc

1 - 18 of 18 Posts