Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the gun show ad in the paper and just wondered what the best show and the worst that any of the members would like to post.

What are the deals you can get at a show that you may not get at the shop?

Any tips to help avoid getting ripped off? What papers do you need to get from an idividual selling a firearm? Any other "homework" that you would suggest before going to a show?

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Hint: Used guns dont cost more than new ones. Alot of gunshow crap is overpriced it is varry common to see a used gen 1 or 2 glock for the same price as a new one then the old oh well how about I take 20 bucks off. Check the firearm carfully.

the last two gunshows I got two good deals

A clarke 10/22 heavy barrel for 75.00 total it was new.

and a gen 2 hs2000 for 325, it was really good shape.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
My favorite quote when asking about the price of a firearm......"well I got such and such amount into it" No a used gun dont cost as much as a new one.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Best by Far (Personal Choice) was the Shot Show in 2004 and 2005 in Las Vegas......4 days each year of gun heaven, free drinks and all night partying. Other than that i would say here in Arizona would be the Cross roads of the West Gun show.

·
Registered
31 Posts
XD_Dan said:
Worst...is there such a thing?
any gun show in california, for example: 8 dollar parking pus 18 dollars for me and my wife to get in. then you can't buy any guns there, you have to have them go to a FFL for 10 days then you can get your gun. Gun shows here are a hugh waste of money!

·
Registered
104 Posts
One main reason I go to gunshows is that I reload. I can buy a sleeve (5000 rounds) of Winchester primers for $60/65 (small/large pistol). I used to be able to get terrific deals on bullets (the components) but those days have passed. I can get great prices on factory reloaded ammo though, as low as $75/1000 for 9mm 115gr. Once in a LONG while, you can buy a really nice used gun for a decent price; but I have to agree, it's no better deal than just going to a dealer that has a large inventory of used guns. Other things you can get are gun accessories such a magazines, holsters, grips, or tools whice are really discounted.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Still waiting on my invite to Ohio Gun Collectors show. That is from all accounts, one of the best shows in the nation. Reason being... it's a closed show, members only kind of thing so there are people who aren't quite as uptight. Also a large number of the displays are personal collections and there are some good deals to be had. Example, Parker stagecoach shotgun w/ 4 horse team stage and bandits etched into receiver, excellent wood... $750. FNC last year sold there for 3500. A number of other deals to be had.

Best I've been to is my local Bill Goodman's show here in Dayton. A large number of vendors both ffl and private collectors. Got my stainless 10/22 NIB w/ scope for 165. There are usually a wide variety of prices and guns. I usually go there primarily to handle the guns I am trying to decide on, then start shopping. Sold a Rossi 357 lever action carbine for $100 more than the one sitting on the table. Guy was more than happy to pay the price and had no prob. w/ me taking down his info. I then went and bought the other one, and used the extra cash to buy some accessories for it (which is why I had the other one there in the first place.) So yah, like James said, pay attention because a used gun should not cost you any more than a new gun.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The main thing is to go in with a double dose of discernment, and don't expect too much. I walked around a gun show once wasting my time trying to sell a hi-cap SKS magazine. Now keeping in mind there were plenty of mags just like this one all over the place I was told over and over again what a piece of crap it was and how they could never sell it. If I would have parted with it, it would have wound up right on the table for 3 times what I got for it (and it would have sold) The other thing you need to do is to have some idea of what you want if you're seriously considering buying a gun. If you're familiar with what condition it should be in, what things to look for, etc, then you'll have an idea of whether you're looking at a nightmare purchase or a genuine good deal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts