Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still new so bare with me.I have a XDM .40 cal and it looks like i'll be picking up a XD 9mm from a member this week (got the fever,lol).
I saw we are having a local gun show this weekend and i was wanting to go and stock up on some ammo.Is there anything i should look for or watch out for? Thanks for any help or pointers you guys can give.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Some weapon manufactures warn against using steel cased ammo. (IE: Russian ammo such as Wolf)

Personally, I'd avoid plain lead. FMJ or JHP for me only.

Other than that, buy whatever is cheapest.

Hardwarz

·
Banned
284 Posts
* Avoid reloads
* Avoid mall-ninja ammo:
  • RBCD
  • Magsafe
  • Glaser
  • Extreme Shock
* Watch out for reloads hiding in factory boxes
* Watch out for HIGH prices
* Don't buy something on an impulse if you're uncertain
* Haggle for best prices
* Watch out for deals on discontinued ammo like SA .223 battle packs and Chinese steel-core 7.62x39

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Don't assume you are getting a better deal at the show. Check prices at the local stores before you go. WWB in .45 was $159/500 at the AZ show which is $.31 per round. I checked Walmart yesterday and its still $29.88/100 which is just under $.30. The .308 I bought at the show was just about the same price as what I found locally as well.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Yup, very true. Ammo at gunshows are basically the same price sometimes higher then store prices. Theres really no "deals" at gunshows, its just a place where gun lovers meet and poker around...at least from what I saw. There are some good deals on buller components! I got .243 SPBT bullets, 500 of them for 26 bucks and 400 60grn HP HRNY 224 for 16 bucks! :D

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Don't buy semi-wadcutter rounds. They don't cycle reliably in most XDs.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Walmart has a very limited selection around here and are sold out of many rounds they normally carry. Gun shows have folks lined up three deep at the ammo booths picking thru whatever is left. It is getting to the point that when you can find what you want, pay the price and get it. The on-line stores are sold out of a lot of ammo too.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Do NOT buy reloads at gun shows from some guy who sells them loose in a box or in Ziploc bags.

He sells them at the gunshow because nobody who knows him will buy them again. This guy appears at every gunshow in the USA simultaneously like Santa Clause. There is no known reason for his existence and you rarely see the exact same guy more than 3 shows in a row because then the word is out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ammo at Wal-Mart has beaten the prices at gun shows every time. BB and WWB both beat any prices i've seen at a gun show. Better off just buying/trading guns at the show :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Made my way to my Walmart to check out the ammo.They have both the BB and the WWB,looks like the BB is a little cheaper.What would you guys recommend out of those two?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yeah those are the only twos the Walmarts around my area have.
The WWB is pretty good $19,95 100rds, the Blazer Brass id $8.97 50rds
I purchased some of the BB, but I haven't tried yet, but a lot of people from the forums say its pretty decent

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think he may have been quoting 9mm prices. That would be the reason for the lower price.

.40 is typically in between 9mm and .45 in price.
I think your right,the prices i saw were for the .40 cal.
But now i just added the XD9mm,i can be looking at those prices also.

·
Registered
311 Posts
They must have bumped it up around here.It was $12 for 50 BB.I want to say $29 for 100 WWB.
Exactly....sorry the misunderstanding. My brother also purchase some BB ammo at $12.xx.
Only difference on the BB ammo is that brass on 9mm is the regular bronze color, but the .40s appear to be light gray, kinda like aluminum

1 - 20 of 28 Posts