Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My safe needs some reorganization. I'd like ideas of what handgun racks you folks like and a better way to store mags. The carousel rack I have now takes up too much room and has limited mag storage. The wire rack is ok but there must be something better. Not shown is the door organizer with pockets and pouches filled with guns and mags.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Bigger safe?

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
That carousel is kind of cool. I could see myself spinning that thing, "Which gun do I want to carry today?"

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
You could take all the ammo out, looks like you would gain quite a lot of space.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
More shelves up top? Looks like you have room to expand.

I bought some extra shelf supports at the hardware store, some MDF, and some felt from the hobby store and added a few more shelves in mine where it was lacking. I glued and stapled the felt down, but you could only staple if you wanted.

I agree with dropping that carousel though. That thing is huge for what you have on it.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
It sure looks more organized than my safe does. :cool:

I'll be watching this thread for ideas...

Duane

·
Registered
665 Posts
Take out the ammo and the mags. I have the same safe, so I lean the guns like books on a shelf. When someone breaks into a home them want guns not mags or ammo necessarily. I have 37 guns and 4 rifles, everything fits nicely in my safe. I also added another shelf on top. Look at all the wasted space on the top. Loose those racks , they take up more space.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
You could take all the ammo out, looks like you would gain quite a lot of space.
+1 I keep my ammo in my safe, but I'm slowly running out. Thinking about designating one shelf for my carry ammo, then locking up the rest in another cabinet or something. It will probably be the first thing to go when space is more cramped.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Ditch the carousel and make a board with straight dowels spaced 2" apart and use those to handle the pistols by the barrel. Use the shelf space under for mags.

Also, bigger safe ;)

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
I would move the ammo to ammo cans with desiccant packs. That will free up a lot of space for you to add a few pistol racks.

I'm envious, great collection of firearms!!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I sorta' agree. The guns are in the safe, but the ammo is in another secure location. Not AS secure as the safe, but secure enough, I think.

Duane

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I have my ammo in a seperate lock box thing.
this is just 9mm as it's all I have except for 22lr... But the 22lr is in a safer spot as it's so rare and valuable

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Get some stackable plastic storage boxes 16x18, 6 inch high. Move all your ammo onto the top of the safe, outside. It is free space. Misc and holsters can go into the storage boxes, nobody will steal them.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Totally off topic, how do you like that Ruger scout rifle?
"The rifle to have, if you could only have one" is the sales hype for this rifle. But it's a solid and dependable rifle sporting a 16.5" barrel. The bolt is a strong mauser influenced design that smooths out with use. It comes with a steel 10rd .308 mags and I got a couple of poly mags from Ruger. A Leatherwood LER scope was added and the flash hider was replaced with a JP Compensator. It's a decent basic bolt rifle that shoots well. The stock is adjustable with spacer between the stock and recoil pad.

The lower group was shot at 100yds after getting the sight adjusted.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Buy some ammo cans & dessicant, will free up a bunch of space it seems.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts