Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well its been quite some time since my last post but I figured this would be a good place to show what I have done to my safe recently. I started off with 1/2 " LED rope in blue. I then cut it into 3 different runs. 1 to go around the door, 1 under the top shelf and 1 behind the long guns. Below is the results. I also spliced the dehumidifier into a outlet so that the LED had a place to plug in without running a new wire through the back. Since LED's are extremely low draw this set up is working quite well for me. Additionally I only plug in the lights when I need them. Another option would have been to tie in a switch off of the door but I did not want to mess with additional wiring.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it kind of does. But I love the blue effect. Plus I can see everything on each shelf now. Now I just need to fill it up.:razz:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Looks really nice. Thanks for sharing. I need to do something like this to mine.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks really nice. Thanks for sharing. I need to do something like this to mine.
Its really easy to do once you figure out how your going to power them. The rope can be cut every 3' 2" depending on the manufacture. So I did a 9' 9" run and the other two were 3'. To connect them all together you can either buy the extension cables which were about 10 bucks each or if your careful you can solder 14 gauge wire and connect them. They are polarity specific so you do have to keep track of which wire to solder where. If you go that route which I do not suggest, you will have to strip back the plastic "rope" to get to the wire without cutting the wires. My set was a 2 wire set up. If you did not want the shelf light or behind the gun lights then 1 run would work and no additional wiring is required. If you bought excess rope and cut to fit then you will need end caps. You will also need mounting clips which are easy enough to install. You just have to apply some pressure and screw at the same time.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One more note, DO NOT install these while the lights are on. I burnt out a 3' section which is why the very top is not as bright as the rest of the safe. Even if you do burn a section out you can replace it using a splicer and a new 3' section. So I have my splicers on order and will replace the burnt section once those come in. Unfortunately the cheapest way for me to get those was to order 40 of them otherwise they would have been almost 12 bucks each!! So 40 for 20 bucks or 1 for 12....hmmmm, hard choice! Everything you need can be found on ebay. The hardest thing to find was the extension cables which is why I did the Solder method which I dont advise. If anyone wants a part break down of what I used I will be happy to post it up. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
127,714 Posts
Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Looks very nice. I want to get a bigger safe... but, then I have to explain to the wife where the the new guns came from. :(

·
Registered
246 Posts
Looks nice. If it were me, I'd opt for a door switch to complete it. I do wiring and soldering for a living and can't do a project like that without going overboard. lol

edit: Then again, as OCD as I am, I probably would've pulled the shelves out and routed a recess for the light ropes as well. Don't get me wrong, I love what you did, it just seems too easy and I gotta make it overly difficult. lol

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Looks nice. If it were me, I'd opt for a door switch to complete it. I do wiring and soldering for a living and can't do a project like that without going overboard. lol
agreed, specially because a fridge door switch can be had for less than 10 bucks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts