Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting a new safe and pondering putting it in my basement.

99% of the time my basement is dry and well maintained (partially finished) - and in my years of living in this house, it's only flooded 3 times, all with very unusual and most likely, unrepeatable circumstances (watch, it's going to flood again this weekend LOL)

anyways, thinking of putting a new safe down there but am not real comfortable with the idea of anchoring it right to the floor in case it gets a few inches of water in it..

Am I crazy for thinking of making my own concrete base 3-4in high and putting the safe on it and anchoring it to it?

I have absolutely no experience with concrete but I don't think it could be that hard to make a form out of 2x4s, mixing up concrete and pouring it myself, etc.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
A plastic pallet will definitely be easier and probably cheaper. They're nice because they don't absorb wather, unlike wood and concrete.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
What kind of safe are you buying?

If it's like a Stackon or some other small or very light type I might consider anchoring it, but if you go with a good, decent sized safe I don't see the point to anchoring it in your basement. I could see if it was in your garage so somebody couldn't just pull up and load it up, but this is in your basement. Once you get it full of guns, ammo, and other crap you're putting in there, nobody's going to be able to move it, especially upstairs. Most thief's are looking for a smash & grab or easy targets. They're not going to haul your several hundred pound safe upstairs. If you're really worried about it, don't leave a dolly or anything out near your safe.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure what I'm going for yet. Just been pondering location up to this point. It's going to be big enough and heavy enough that nobody can take my safe full of um, outdated webster's dictionaries and boat anchors up stairs with any ease :mrgreen:

I like the plastic palate idea too.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A plastic pallet will definitely be easier and probably cheaper. They're nice because they don't absorb wather, unlike wood and concrete.
btw, if the concrete below my safe absorbs Walther I should be glad I don't own a Walther :shock::p

·
Registered
96 Posts
You could also go with concrete patio blocks, pavers, or the like that you could get at the local Home Depot, wouldn't have to mess with mixing and forming concrete, pretty cheap, and easy enuff to carry a few at a time. You'll need long enough bolts to get through either the plastic pallet or a small space you leave between blocks, to mount directly to your floor. You could use the type that interlock along the outside edge, so they can't be dislodged and then the BGs may have a leverage advantage to rock and roll your cabinet off the bolts. +1 on Wired's comment on safes vs. cabinets. Might also look into whether your safe (not cabinet) would be sealed against moisture/standing water.

Sure rough, having to try to figure out where to put more guns!! :D

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
btw, if the concrete below my safe absorbs Walther I should be glad I don't own a Walther :shock::p
It's not Walther ... it's wather. That's how it's pronounced when your up to your eyeballs in it. :lol:

·
Registered
434 Posts
You can buy concrete pads for a/c compressors and larger ones for generator pads. Stack em if you need to and anchor into them.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Or just set it on blocks or what ever gets it off the floor a few inches and only anchor it to the wall through back all the weight will be on the blocks and anchors will keep it from being moved easily

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have mine anchored to the wall studs in my basement, never thought about raising it up a bit to get it off the concrete, might have to do that.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Get a treated 4 x 4 square post, cut in half and set the safe on top with 1/2 at the back and 1/2 at the front. Then if the floor gets wet it will dry out under the safe.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
all excellent ideas :D

I'm not really worried about a BG getting the safe out of the house. The way the house is designed, if it's at all anchored, it ain't going anywhere without a big enough show that they'd get caught.

More worried about that 1 in 1,000,000 chance of water getting in the basement again. Where I'm putting it is the highest point in the basement away from the drains and sump pumps so it needs to only be up a few inches.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts