Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I learned about them just last night, and quoting wikipedia:

Gun Owners of America (GOA) is a gun rights organization in the United States with over 1.5 million members.[1] It makes efforts to differentiate itself from the larger National Rifle Association (NRA), and has publicly criticized the NRA on multiple occasions for allegedly compromising on gun rights issues and thereby selling out the gun rights movement.
Why don't I hear about them in gun forums ?

Anyway, I will apply for membership.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I learned about them just last night, and quoting wikipedia:

Why don't I hear about them in gun forums ?

Anyway, I will apply for membership.

I'm a brand new member myself to the GOA. I like that they are a no compromise 2A rights protecting organization.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I have mixed feelings on the NRA. To me, it seems that they have the best interests of the industry, not necessarily the gun owner. Of course there is a trickle down effect, what benefits the industry, likely benefits the gun owner.

I was truly disappointed that they said nothing about the death of Philando Castile. That said, I would not expect the NRA to speak out against the police. And there was no video that clearly shows the circumstances surrounding his death. But it was their total lack of silence on the issue that made me realize that they are also heavily swayed by unions and lobbying groups.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with this. I am a life member in the NRA and plan to maintain that, but was very disappointed with how they handled the Las Vegas "bumpstock" issue. That is what lead me to seek out alternative groups such as the GOA. I also joined a 2A organization that works at my local State level.

·
Banned
8,213 Posts
I have mixed feelings on the NRA. To me, it seems that they have the best interests of the industry, not necessarily the gun owner. Of course there is a trickle down effect, what benefits the industry, likely benefits the gun owner.

I was truly disappointed that they said nothing about the death of Philando Castile. That said, I would not expect the NRA to speak out against the police. And there was no video that clearly shows the circumstances surrounding his death. But it was their total lack of silence on the issue that made me realize that they are also heavily swayed by unions and lobbying groups.
What exactly did you want the NRA to say. Castile didnt comply and as a result we know the outcome. Dont really see where NRA would have much to say.

In all my interactions with Police I have never felt the need to be an ass and give them reason or even excuse to draw down.
Comply and all is well usually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
What exactly did you want the NRA to say. Castile didnt comply and as a result we know the outcome. Dont really see where NRA would have much to say.

In all my interactions with Police I have never felt the need to be an ass and give them reason or even excuse to draw down.
Comply and all is well usually.

We saw no evidence in any video that Castile was an ass or acted criminal. That said, there is also nothing that shows the cop involved acted inappropriately. But I'll leave the Castile debate itself to another time. I thought the NRA would have been more proactive in educating gun owners on how to properly interact with police when carrying. Maybe open a dialogue with more LE agencies about procedures in place for interacting with police. The topic was heavily discussed here and other forums. But the majority of gun owners aren't on gun forums.

·
Banned
8,213 Posts
We saw no evidence in any video that Castile was an ass or acted criminal. That said, there is also nothing that shows the cop involved acted inappropriately. But I'll leave the Castile debate itself to another time. I thought the NRA would have been more proactive in educating gun owners on how to properly interact with police when carrying. Maybe open a dialogue with more LE agencies about procedures in place for interacting with police. The topic was heavily discussed here and other forums. But the majority of gun owners aren't on gun forums.
You either know how to act respectfully and interact appropriately with LE or you dont.

The majority that scream police brutality etc DO NOT when one looks at all the evidence in almost all cases it goes back to the perp and his actions.

I have LEO relatives and believe me they dont go out each day “looking for it” they prefer to come home each night.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
You either know how to act respectfully and interact appropriately with LE or you dont.

The majority that scream police brutality etc DO NOT when one looks at all the evidence in almost all cases it goes back to the perp and his actions.

I have LEO relatives and believe me they dont go out each day “looking for it” they prefer to come home each night.

I'm not arguing any of your points. I'm not talking about respectfully. I'm talking about appropriately. Notify or not notify. How to notify. When to notify, etc. My father was a police officer and I have a tremendous amount of respect for police and the job they do. It seems you are having a different conversation from the one I'm having.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am member of the Second Amendment Foundation, and also financially contribute to their sister organization the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts